IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Whats your rarest palm?

Howeadypsis

(Gileno Machado @ Aug. 03 2006,20:18)

Wow Jason:

Those Oenocarpus of yours are looking great, enjoying the winter in amazonic Perth (!)...and they are still sprouting? I've lost a few of mine during the adaptation to potting mix, these are difficult creatures...

Hey Gileno,

winter stinks as usual but not the usual Perth winter this year. Not as cold as it should be and average rainfall is about 400mm lower than expected but palms happy  36_1_14.gif

As mentioned before, when the seeds arrived from you they has already begun to germinate so the seeds went straight into potting mix and they've been there ever since. All 8 seeds turned into what you see above.

No movement from the latest lot as yet.

heres another lot of your seeds if you can guess what they are...

gb7-06.jpg

Photo's about actual size.

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Jason,

Where do you get those containers (the ones with the vent on top)?  I saw them in your article on germination in the PSSC Journal and they look perfect.  You definitely have germination down, and your article in the journal was very helpful.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Update!  I don't know if this is my rarest, but I'm extremely happy I found it.  Pseudophoenix ekmanii! :)   As you can see by the tag it's 5 years old and about 3 or 4 inches tall.  While transplanting it I saw the roots and there are only 2 of them and they didn't even reach to the bottom of a 1 gallon container.  SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW! :P

post-126-1154974158_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

what a score,matt!!!

it seems that one can either buy a small pseudophoenix

sp.& wait years for it to get big or just shell out huge chunks of cash :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I didn't even know that P. ekmanii was in cultivation.  For some reason I though it hadn't been introduced yet.  I guess Phil got some seed several years ago.  I hear that he's got some germinating right now too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I have one or two that same size or close......we can set them side by side and watch them grow!!!!  After that, we'll be retired and can pot them into 5 gal containers!!! (or did you just do that?- if so, yours is bigger! You're the bomb, Man! :) )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(MattyB @ Aug. 07 2006,15:19)

I didn't even know that P. ekmanii was in cultivation.  For some reason I though it hadn't been introduced yet.  I guess Phil got some seed several years ago.  I hear that he's got some germinating right now too.

Matt,

These have been around for probably 5 years here in South Florida. And they are extreamly slow here too.

One of my rarest palms in the collection, would have to be my Ravenea albicans from Madag. I have one in the ground, and another in a 3 gal. pot. These are at least 10 years old from seed. I will try and post a pic. in the next couple of days.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Aug. 08 2006,04:15)

These have been around for probably 5 years here in South Florida. And they are extreamly slow here too.

I seem to recall Al mentioning them on the "Slowest Palm" thread on the old board.  If they are slow in Kona, what chance do you guys on the mainland stand.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

They grow fine here , no problems. Like I said, just very slow.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

=)

post-88-1155043419_thumb.jpg

Lyle

I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy.

Is that a raphis schizzlewhittle23skidoo?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear matty  :)

i feel very jelous about you and your Dominican palm(PP.Ekmanii).

can you or other forum members kindly tell me where can i get these seeds & info on those reputed online seeds traders who can ship these seeds to indian sub.continent.

i usually buy from whatcom seed company & RPS till date.but i do not see this veriety in their seed catalogue ?

any informayion on the above matter will be greatly appricieated.

just imagine a 3 to 4 feet tall ekamanii adoring our main gateway on left and right side of the enterance of ones residence.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I've had surprising good luck with areca catechu in spite of myself.  Bethel nut palms are not a tree one usually sees in California.  A. catechu actually continued to grow during a late cold winter/early spring.  Like an ass, I disturbed the palm's root system during transplantation into the ground.  Lost all but one leaf but it is ALIVE!

It's in near total shade under bananas and gets lots of water.  Once this little beauty recovers a bit I will post a photo.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

100_0805.jpg

arenga hookeriana.just got it at jm afew weeks ago!

still "warning-free."

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 11 2006,01:09)

arenga hookeriana.just got it at jm afew weeks ago!

I like the look of that one, are those leaves serrated or is that damage?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Thats serration....I have a liner sized one about 2/3 that size.  

Looks good Paul.

when i first got into palms i bought the "jones book",& the picture of a.hookeriana in it was a knockout! i knew i had to get one eventually! i hope it makes it--anyone else trying this palm?

still "warning-free."

Paul- my little liner has been on "outdoor patrol" since I got it about 2 years ago.  So I think it has a good chance!

bill

how big is it after 2years?just wondering about the growth rate...

i would imagine that this palm will need a "filtered light"

situation when it gets planted--what do you think?

still "warning-free."

I have to say I have taken poor care of it. I've noticed many of my "liners" get neglected.  :(

That being said, with only average care it seems to put out a bout a leaf every 6 months.  Its about 2/3 the size of yours.

I noticed that when i moved to a "shady area" the leaves definately look better.

This is a tough one because I dont have to many palms and the ones I do have are all very common. I would say that the rarest one is the butia x syagrus or maybe the arenga australasica. I have no idea how its able to grow here, becuase it grows in tropical areas? It saw 29F this winter with snow. I say its the rarest one I have, considering I live in northern california.

Arengaaustralasica001.jpg

Arengaaustralasica002.jpg

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Since this thread is still going strong, I guess I'll add two more of my favorites. First a Licuala cordata.

post-22-1155536787_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a Johannesteijsmannia altifrons.

post-22-1155536841_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hai Bo Goran  :)

that picture on Joey palm was very nice. and happens to be

one of my favouriate palms.it is very common in malayasia,

indonesia.

but my seeds of these palms have not germinated yet even after 6 months time ?

your joey palm looks normal sized but i have seen pictures of

this palm having huge leaves the size 3 times of your leaves.

how is that. Is it due to fertilizer feed on those palms ?

your comment please !

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

yes, Joey palms will indeed get very large leaves and the ones I have didn't get to that size yet. Hopefully one day! They grow very well here, but they are slow. I don't know what the growth rate is in its natural habitat in Malaysia etc. but my guess is that they get more heat there, and are probably a little bit faster. The one in the photo above has leaves that are about 6 ft long.

And I'm sorry, but I have no experience germinating Joey seeds so can't help you there!

Bo-Göran

My rarest would probably be a 'White" Dypsis, like Bo's bigger ones.  I have already tryed one with no success, but I recently found another one sold as tsaratanensis.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Bo, that L. cordata is a real beauty.  Licualas are some of my favorite palms.  It is one of the more attractive generas.

Kris, if after 6 months your J. altifrons seeds have not germinated then the chances are not good.  Please check to see if they have sent down any sinkers.  I believe they are remote germinators.  It may take a while before the first leaf actually appears above the surface of the soil.  Absolutely gorgeous!

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Dear Bo Goran & Trinidad Bob  :)

Thanks for that prompt reply, i have kept seeds in community

pots. i will have to dig it gently to find out what the condition

is,regarding any root grouth.

Love,

Kris (to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

To Bo,   Beautifully grown! Mine was half that size until the hurricane. It got wacked back and will take along time before it looks good again.

To Krisachar, your seed should of come up by now. I agree with Bob. Fresh seed usually starts germinating in 2-3 months.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

2 very nice palms Bo Goran !

BS, Man about Palms, what are 'liners'?

(Howeadypsis @ Aug. 14 2006,12:32)

2 very nice palms Bo Goran !

BS, Man about Palms, what are 'liners'?

Fairly common over here Larry.  Usually "box" pots, roughly 2 1/2" square and about 9" deep. Easy to get individual pots and not take up too much room.

It also helps to not take up too much space as  you wait 3 years or more to gain the 1 year growth of Bo's stuff!  :)

See below

post-27-1155612061_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bo. so these are specialy made for palm growing?

• 2 years later...

Well I dont have many rare palms, but I understand the Livistona Carinensis is at least endangered and only grows naturally in oasis in africa. I got mine from Rod Anderson last december as a 1 gallon seedling and its easily the fastest of my livistona 1 gallons(other are mariae, austrailis, languinosa, rigida). I put it in a 15 gallon then, it was just evolving its first palmate frond, and now it just wants to be in the ground, growing like a weed. It has probably put out 7-8 fronds since december, amazing for such a small size. L. Rigida was supposed to be pretty fast, but this one is way faster than L. Rigida. this palm is putting out fronds faster than my 3 L. decoras in the ground, planted as 3 gallons a little over a year ago.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

The rarest palm that i posses at the moment is 'Corypha Macropoda' and here is a still of it ! :)

post-108-1248016469_thumb.jpg

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I guess my most rare palm would be a Chamaedorea Benzei. I really don't know if it's that rare but you don't hear much about it.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My rarest, and it's hard to have a rare palm in my climate where not too many grow well (too hot or too cold) is Livistona alfredii... thought I might have one of the only ones in California, but that turned out not be the case... still, never seen another one and not sure why.

post-426-1248028652_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Every time I come on here I hear of a new unknown palm with an unpronounceable name, and as a relative newbie to palms(tho Ive been into plants since I was a kid!)  I was wondering what your rarest, most spectacular or unusual palm is?,

Great question. Is there a list so I can figure that out?

This is what I have now in the ground: Palm List

Anyone see anything "rare" on the list?

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens