IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm sun acclimation

Rickybobby

Hey everyone I got two new palms yesterday bismarkia and coconut they have been inside a nursery greenhouse but it has a white plastic over it. So it’s bright. But not direct. Question is should these palms get the morning sun shade mix acclamation or just full sun right away?

• Upvote 1

I’d start with morning sun for each and over a period of a couple of weeks see how they do. Sun here in the desert with 1-2 days exposure will quickly show sunburn. More northern climates I don’t have experience growing in. Cocos and Bismarkia Love sun and heat, so you have two palms that will adjust easily. 

Just monitor them and adjust as needed. Some sunburn is expected and normal. Just don’t want to fry them. 

For what it’s worth, I threw a coconut under 50% shade cloth here in full sun. Very minor burn over a month and then 3/4 direct sun now. No burn.

I through my adonidias out in full sun and they’ve burned prettt bad. But everything up here has been shade grown 

A little extreme but here is Jungle Music's advice

http://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvice/palms-acclimation1.htm

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

13 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

I through my adonidias out in full sun and they’ve burned prettt bad. But everything up here has been shade grown 

I lost some of my adonidias from too much sun as well.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Decent advise but after 6 weeks the palm will only another 6-8 weeks before it comes back in a little extreme in this latitude but thanks 

1 minute ago, kinzyjr said:

I lost some of my adonidias from too much sun as well.

What were the conditions? I’ve never seen a palm sun burn like this it was in pristine shape when I bought them but they have been in full sun with cloudy and rainy days. So not every day sunny for 3 weeks. Wouldn’t they accustomed by now? Or should I take them into the shade? I want the new fronds to be full sun acclimated 

Just now, Rickybobby said:

What were the conditions? I’ve never seen a palm sun burn like this it was in pristine shape when I bought them but they have been in full sun with cloudy and rainy days. So not every day sunny for 3 weeks. Wouldn’t they accustomed by now? Or should I take them into the shade? I want the new fronds to be full sun acclimated 

I had pretty much the same thing happen.  I figured they were ready but they weren't.  Back into the mulch pile with a few of them.  I put the others in the garage to heal up.  Your sunlight shouldn't be as strong as it is here, but we've had similar experiences.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

6 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I had pretty much the same thing happen.  I figured they were ready but they weren't.  Back into the mulch pile with a few of them.  I put the others in the garage to heal up.  Your sunlight shouldn't be as strong as it is here, but we've had similar experiences.

Even though theyeve been in direct sun for almost 3 weeks. Should I put them in shade?

Just now, Rickybobby said:

Even though theyeve been in direct sun for almost 3 weeks. Should I put them in shade?

If they have any discoloration, yes.

Lakeland, FL

At 43° north, I wouldn't worry too much. Under a week of gradually increasing how many hours will be fine.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:14 AM, Rickybobby said:

Hey everyone I got two new palms yesterday bismarkia and coconut they have been inside a nursery greenhouse but it has a white plastic over it. So it’s bright. But not direct. Question is should these palms get the morning sun shade mix acclamation or just full sun right away?

Would love to see photos!

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

Would love to see photos!

Here’s the buzzy by the pool 

9D20EA73-AC13-4BEB-A3AE-C22FDECA7D6F.jpeg