IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabinaria magnificas in the ground

Gbarce

I took the plunge and planted a couple of Sabinaria magnificas in the ground.

Has anyone else put them in the ground yet?  How are they performing?  Did they start to grow faster?

60916544_10205776869818217_1739629297259249664_n.jpg

61414002_10205776870418232_3239373555661537280_n.jpg

61275941_10205776869578211_5420346721525825536_n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Not yet Gene, although I've been thinking about it for awhile now. It's doing so well in the pot, but I'm sure it might do better in ground. 

The ones in your photos look good. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

- The largest Sabinaria magnifica I have seen in S. Florida. It was photographed this past April 14th, 2019, in the collection of Jim & Judy Glock of Ft. Myers. It is even better looking in person. It has been in the ground for a few years and has grown rather fast. I will include some older photos as a reference.

DSC_0723.thumb.JPG.b75d42a5cfe14515c6f2e4981b1ee24d.JPG

- It is holding several leaves and is quite unique in its shape. (B) I put a 3 gallon, 10-inch (25cm) pot next to it as scale.

DSC_0724.thumb.JPG.702bddbf5eb51d4b9a22e264cf2cefa5.JPGDSC_0725.thumb.JPG.95362a283222460cd869aa224f04a280.JPG

- It was growing out of an average winter as far as the inland Ft. Myers location is concerned.

DSC_0726.thumb.JPG.0dfd1d717a199ae6363fa5d50f9bd95c.JPGDSC_0727.thumb.JPG.6499096cd705334a7839962d134f7e2f.JPG

- It enjoys the mulch and drip irrigation. It has a lot of Crotons for company. (a Glock standard). It seems to have no real issues while growing in the ground, so far.

DSC_0728.thumb.JPG.d8e221ce98edb806ae155abaf780d886.JPGDSC_0729.thumb.JPG.5fdbc3a3a168ba20f3f844f6613c0faf.JPG

Ryan

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

South Florida

- Same palm seen above growing in the same spot. This time it was photographed six months ago, November 16th, 2018. It has packed on a bit of size in both its leaves and its overall diameter. It had the entire year to grow and had not experienced any cold to this point.

DSC_0887.thumb.JPG.822f5ced4299d4b5b9280e2613eebba7.JPG

- No pot this time, but a 20oz. (0.6l) bottle of Diet Coke for scale. The leaves start out narrow but slowly get broader and broader. They will probably keep gaining size in this fashion on their way to becoming that mature butterfly shape.

DSC_0888.thumb.JPG.2e3bb04d2be6a38b1eeb694ba18de36c.JPGDSC_0889.thumb.JPG.8536b087c6cb7766520362071766b15e.JPG

- Very lush with many leaves. That silver white underside is awesome. I have yet to see any issues with this palm, in a pot or in the ground... minus the fact it is extremely rare.

DSC_0886.thumb.JPG.73d3376fd0abd89ca842119ff5393b5e.JPGDSC_0890.thumb.JPG.419ae5cbabbbad762af8df96c2d06aed.JPG

Ryan

• Like 7

South Florida

Hmmmm, need to find a spot soon.

Thanks for the photos, what a beauty. We toured the Glock garden during the Miami biennial a few years back. Quite a treat.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Awesome photos Ryan.

I actually have a few more larger ones in oversized pots.  I planted the runts of the group in the ground first just in case they encounter any issues

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

I just have one. Im not brave enough to commit to planting it out. It looks really good as a potted specimen.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

On 5/27/2019 at 8:34 PM, realarch said:

Hmmmm, need to find a spot soon. ... We toured the Glock garden during the Miami biennial a few years back. Quite a treat.

Tim

I wouldn't put any rush on it. Every S. magnifica I have seen growing in a container, of any size, has been doing well and growing at a good rate. This will probably be one of those species we baby incessantly but will grow quite well in most situations We just don't know any better, not yet. Like when Kerriodoxa or Carpoxylon first came out.

Did the biennial tour their Ft. Myers garden? I figured it was just their South Keys location that was toured during that 2014 day in Key West. They have two gardens, but unfortunately the one in the Keys was obliterated by Hurricane Irma. It is on its way back, one plant at a time.

20 hours ago, Gbarce said:

Awesome photos Ryan.

I actually have a few more larger ones in oversized pots.  I planted the runts of the group in the ground first just in case they encounter any issues

The specimen in your photos seems to be the ideal size to plant, or anything that is mostly established in a three gallon pot. I think the next test would be water or sunlight related. Even if they could handle partial or even full sun, they would more than likely look better with light shade or filtered sun along with protection from wind. Specimens seem to mimic their cousins Itaya and Cryosophila, so if these can be grown in a specific location, then Sabinaria should grow as well. Itaya was one of those extremely rare species we once 'treated with kid gloves'. Sabinaria enjoys any type of 'low-volume, high-frequency' irrigation along with good drainage.

19 hours ago, scottgt said:

I just have one. Im not brave enough to commit to planting it out. It looks really good as a potted specimen.

They do look incredible in containers and will look even better the larger they get. They will probably reach a point where they get partially root-bound and then take off... growing larger and larger leaves just because they can not produce more roots. These overgrown plants should look very impressive, turning into absolute eye candy when they feature mature leaves on a near fill-size rosette. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Ryan

South Florida

I moved them around the house for a while just to see how much sun they could take and my conclusion is that they CAN'T take full sun-- at least not here in the Philippines.  I positioned them in the eastward facing side of our house so that they would get morning sun and be shaded but have good ambient light from about 11:30 am till sundown.  They leaves showed signs of bleaching after a few days.  If I left them there permanently I was sure the leaves would be burned.  But those were the summer months --so the sun was the most intense it was going to get.  So if you are looking for a permanent spot for yours I wouldn't recommend a full sun area out in the open

• Like 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

• 1 month later...

Great pictures of these realy nice Sabinaria. My only one left is pushing sixt leaf ( second leaf this year) but has to stay indoor because its in The Netherlands. Planted her last year in partial Seramis/pinebark with slow release tablet which reasults in dark green healthy new leafs so far. As seen on pictures above. Mine has also these dead parts on the first appaered leaves. Thanks for the pictures and comments. Bit by bit more info for growing Sabinaria comes available :-)

This is the largest Sabinaria I’ve ever seen! As stated above they do great in pots. Definitely looking forward to seeing how they do in the ground for you all.

BB5DA031-D5C2-42C7-92CA-F80A5862E6D7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very brave Gene!  I’m sure they’ll grow by leaps and bounds now, always happier in the grounds.  

I have no overstory protection from sun or wind to plant mine out yet. :(  Been even thinking about selling a couple of them...  These were germinated in Florida, grown for a year or so, then barerooted and brought in a backpack on a plane to the farm in Hawai’i.  They’ve had a tumultuous start...  for the moment they live peacefully in the shade house.

75DDD169-56D2-4655-8050-A771CB026375.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PersistentPalms said:

Very brave Gene!  I’m sure they’ll grow by leaps and bounds now, always happier in the grounds.  

I have no overstory protection from sun or wind to plant mine out yet. :(  Been even thinking about selling a couple of them...  These were germinated in Florida, grown for a year or so, then barerooted and brought in a backpack on a plane to the farm in Hawai’i.  They’ve had a tumultuous start...  for the moment they live peacefully in the shade house.

75DDD169-56D2-4655-8050-A771CB026375.jpeg

Bill - check your PMs

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Nice! I used some of my RPS credit to buy some seeds. Hopefully I get a few plants, since I would love to put one in the ground at Kopsick.

• Like 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)