IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mangos

edbrown_III

I inherited one with the property I bought.  It made it through January 2010.  I'm at ~28o north.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

They grow and produce fruit here in Mt Dora but do freeze back with upper 20s. Best to plant on south side of your house or protected from north winds 

• Upvote 1

In the tropics Mangos seem to need a cooling series of nights to promote flowering and fruit set. The Wet/Dry of the Northern Australian Monsoon really suits them, with cool nights and seasonal drought helping flowering. Lots of mango orchards and plantations in the Top End that are usually the first fruit on the Australian market in September.
I used to work out of a small satellite antenna manufacturers yard in the western suburbs of Sydney.....and there was a solitary mango tree planted on the verge. It produced fruit every February.... and it was a race between me a couple of Vietnamese welders ( nick named in a very Australian way 'the Ho Chi Minh twins' ) as to who would get the lovely ripe fruit.
So for me it was the most southerly fruiting mango ( 34*S ) I knew of. I have since heard of others growing in Melbourne and Adelaide  ( 38*S and 35*S ) in almost frost free locations.

While Commercial Mango crops are grown in the Coachella Valley, Mango are widely cultivated in gardens throughout the rest of Southern CA, especially way from the coast. ( Take a peek at S. Cal related threads over on the Tropical Fruit Forum )

While more challenging, there are also many who grow and fruit them as far north as the San Francisco Bay area ( south and east side of the bay, esp. inland from the bay itself. ) Grew a "Carrie" to decent size for several years in San Jose myself awhile back.. Thinking they are cultivated by people in ideal spots between Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield in the Central Valley as well.

Quite popular here in Phoenix and you'll find sizable trees around town if you look. Small specimens  must have shade through our summers though... Tucson is questionable due to higher elevation, generally cooler winters compared to Phoenix and Yuma but the area does have a history with those who had grown them on some level in the past, and today in home gardens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And even if you don't like the fruit, they are a terrific shade tree ! My 37 year old tree came down during last years Cyclone. I cut it up and winched the multi stemmed trunk upright, hoping to save it. 14 months has gone by now and I'm not convinced I've saved it yet.... see what happens next Wet.
Biggest, tastiest, juiciest ( best way to eat a Mango is whilst sitting in a bath ) Mango in Australia is the Kensington Pride or Bowen Mango.... Sensational !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Pride