IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jeff Searle's New Youtube Video - Croton Air Layering Made Easy

Travis Searle

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice - thank you! Very well done and easy to follow - I'll try it on some of my plants now that I know what to do! 

Question - why did you make the second "ring" below the first "ring?" 

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody tell me? I want to do some air layering this spring and would appreciate knowing what the purpose of the second ring is. 

Enjoying them all..keep up the good work!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

18 hours ago, santoury said:

Could somebody tell me? I want to do some air layering this spring and would appreciate knowing what the purpose of the second ring is. 

The second ring is made to score all the way around the stem to get down to the white layer.  Then, you remove the bark between the first and second rings to leave the smooth, white layer where you can place the sphagnum moss and cover it with foil.  It is usually a distance of an inch and a half to two between the rings, and this will be the zone where the roots will develop.  Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Hi Anna,

Thank you very much for your response. What is confusing to me is, there are two "white bands" - about 2-3 inches apart, and the lower one wasn't actually covered up all the way by the moss/foil, with a solid area of bark left between the two white areas. 

If the roots grew out of the white part, why make two of them, and not cover up the second one? 

Thank you,  Jude 

The second band made in the video was just to demonstrate how to perform the same task with a knife. You only need to make one band with the bark removed.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:54 PM, NOT A TA said:

The second band made in the video was just to demonstrate how to perform the same task with a knife. You only need to make one band with the bark removed.

Thank you for explaining! I'm a little late here. Lol. But yes, the second cut with the knife was just showing how much harder and could be a little more difficult when using a razor blade. But normally just one cut is made, wrap with moss and your done.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.