IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It was fun while it lasted | Carpoxylon dying

MattyB

Unfortunately our wetter than average winter and continued cool and wet spring have allowed pink rot to get a hold of my Carpoxylon macrospermum.  This is probably the end for this guy.

IMG_6933.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sorry to see this, Matt.  You are still the MAN for growing marginal palms !  :greenthumb:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

Wow!  Sorry to hear that Matt 

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Sorry Matt.  Yeah, east county got it bad this prolonged "winter" (Spring) .

Did you get hail or frost?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Is there any way to salvage it?

It's a gorgeous palm. 

Liquid copper f.

Anything...

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

That sucks - just when it was looking like you were past the hardest part.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Crap!! :crying:  :bemused: Keep thinking.. maybe you can come up with a way to fix it.. if nothing else.. learn what you can while you can..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry. Yes, it’s has been unusually cold and wet. I am impressed with how big you got it.

Matt,

Can you tell how many layers it went through?  Looks like you have several layers before the meristem.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Aw ma! Such a beautiful palm. This winter has been bad by Dan Diego standards.

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Matt, so sorry to see this because it's truly a very nice palm I enjoy here in my garden. I'm curious if others here on the forum have had the same problem.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

So sorry to see that. And it was past the tricky-when-small phase.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Ouch!

So sad to see :crying:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oh, that is a crying shame! :crying: You were performing miracles with that palm. 

Will you try again?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You're still the man Matty. Thanks for the great documentation of this over the years. Like others, I figured you were home free. Even bad news is helpful news sometimes, so thanks for that.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I'm not giving up hope yet. 

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hi Matt, very sad to see this. I seem to have a lot of pink rot throughout my yard. One of my hookeri’s had a similar case, showing up on the outside as well as internal. It frustrated me so much I decided to try using my weed torch to cauterize the infected areas on the outside and started pouring cleary’s 3336 down the inside of each leaf base. 2 years later you would never know it was struggling, it looks perfect. Just a thought for a last ditch effort if it comes to that. Hopefully it won’t especially since Joe and I just planted ours.  

Mike

MLW

It was a good run with this palm.

If there's something you can share with us, please do.

I know people have called it “snake oil” in the past, but I am going to spray Anti-Stress 2000 on my carpoxylon this winter.  The concept of a semi-permeable layer on the palms make sense to me.  I use a different type of polymer on my car, and it definitely protects it.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Maybe try another one? Maybe another more than one?

Maybe a change of conditions, a little bit, or a little bit of luck might help.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah, that's a bummer. I know in my garden, having so many palms, pragmatism takes over when losing special palms. You win some and lose some and move on.

One thing I've seen here in Hawaii that has resulted in several Carpoxylon deaths, is premature removal of the leaf sheath. The wound this creates invites pathogens and

kills the palm. Seems especially lethal to this palm, but that's speculation on my part. I always let the leaf sheath fall off on it's own nowadays.

Tim 

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 5/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, MattyB said:

This is probably the end for this guy.

Sad to see this Matt, but I picked up on a hint of optimism in the word "probably".  Clearly you haven't lost all hope.  I'm sure you will be posting an update and what you have tried when the time is right.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 5/23/2019 at 6:06 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Sorry Matt.  Yeah, east county got it bad this prolonged "winter" (Spring) .

Did you get hail or frost?

No, no hail and I’ve never gotten frost. It’s just typical spring pink rot. 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I am treating with fungicide. We’ll see what happens.  Tough for palms like this with very tight rings to outrun the fungal attacks. Sometimes with a fast growing palm like Archontophoenix you can power on the fertilizer and the growing point goes up faster than the pink can get to it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

I am treating with fungicide. We’ll see what happens.  Tough for palms like this with very tight rings to outrun the fungal attacks. Sometimes with a fast growing palm like Archontophoenix you can power on the fertilizer and the growing point goes up faster than the pink can get to it

Keep the rest of us apprized as to what happens, good or bad. We're rooting for you and your palm!

• Like 1

I was surprised at the persistent cool in Los Angeles.  

Despite that loss, the palm garden is looking impressive.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us