IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis excelsa - outdoor requirements

Chester B

I have three small Rhapis excelsa (lady palms) that I have been growing up.  Eventually they will live in my south facing living room with three walls of windows and 12' ceilings.   Winter is pretty cloudy here so they won't get blasted by the sun.  

Right now they are not even pushing 12 inches and I'd like to put them outside for the summer to spur on their growth.  I will place them in a spot with no afternoon sun, but any other recommendations as to minimum temperature, etc. would be much appreciated.

Lady Palms 1.jpg

Lady Palms 2.jpg

• Like 1

Mine grow in a mostly shaded area on the north side of the property, tight up against the house.  They tend not to like the temperature to go below 20F.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That is much colder than I expected.  Sounds like I can probably keep mine out for the vast majority of the year if I want.  We don't typically go below 25F, the last time was 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Rhapis look best when in a good amount of shade. Be careful not to over fertilize, as Rhapis burn easily and require little. I like to water mine with seaweed extract and fish emulsion to give a little color boost. 

I’m sure they would do great outside year round!

• Like 1

On May 23, 2019 at 10:43 AM, Chester B said:

That is much colder than I expected.  Sounds like I can probably keep mine out for the vast majority of the year if I want.  We don't typically go below 25F, the last time was 3 years ago.

When established in the ground they can take an occasional low 20s temperature with overhead canopy. In pots, not nearly that cold because the soil in the above ground pot can freeze, thus killing the Lady palm. I'd bring them back inside before any freezing temperatures occur. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks for all the info guys.  The ultimate goal is to get these fairly large to add some nice greenery inside during the winter.  I'll probably keep them out April - Halloween going forward.