IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Planting day

Josue Diaz

After putting the task off for a long while, I finally cleaned and prepped a section of my yard for planting. This specific spot has been arguably the best spot for tender tropicals. This is where ive grown plumeria in the ground, and on street side, have a foxtail palm going for the third year now.  In my mind, this is where I would place sun-loving, tender tropicals. 

First, a shot of the area.  

20190522_124454.jpg

I packed palms, plumeria, pachypodium and aloes in a very tight space. I'm aware of the crowding that will happen, but am ok with it. 

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1

Without more to do, here are the palms! :drool:

First, this is a dypsis lutescens which DoomsDave calls 'oddball'. I think it will remain single-trunked.20190522_124428.thumb.jpg.656da4b226688b6a7a31e901fffaf6df.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The largest of my Syagrus kellyana went into this space also. As it is largely untested in our climate, this is a test for me.  fingers crossed for it to do well. 

20190522_124352.jpg

• Upvote 1

I planted TWO ravenea xerophila! two Ravenea glauca have lived here by the gate for about 4 years now so I figured xerophila should do just as well. 

20190522_124253.jpg

• Like 1

The largest of my sabal lisa went in here also. This is a 2.5 year seedling from Meg's seeds. 

20190522_124309.jpg

• Like 2

Lastly, i'm debating whether to put this dypsis saintlucei in the ground here. I have another as a backup, but I'd still be sad to lose it. it has been languishing in the greenhouse so maybe it will do better outside. thoughts?

20190522_124204.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

The largest of my sabal lisa went in here also. This is a 2.5 year seedling from Meg's seeds. 

20190522_124309.jpg

2.5yrs whoa patience is a virtue right , hope it picks up steam now that its in the ground =) 

• Like 2

T J 

19 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Lastly, i'm debating whether to put this dypsis saintlucei in the ground here. I have another as a backup, but I'd still be sad to lose it. it has been languishing in the greenhouse so maybe it will do better outside. thoughts?

Do it.  I don't see the point of having a bunch of potted plants that take so much more work and space.  Put it in the ground and see what happens.B)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I agree. Put it in the ground.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

6 hours ago, Chester B said:

Do it.  I don't see the point of having a bunch of potted plants that take so much more work and space.  Put it in the ground and see what happens.B)

I agree, too. I have  Jubea, C. nucifera, L. ramsayi, Howeas, C. macrocarpa, C. fallaensis and C. umbraculifera - just to name a few - all side by side and

it is great pleasure and excitement to see them growing. :greenthumb:

So, Josue, go for it - all the best!

Lars

• Like 2

Going to look good once everything grows in! Definitely better to get things planted in the ground than keep in the pot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

2.5yrs whoa patience is a virtue right , hope it picks up steam now that its in the ground =) 

In the ground it is! I'll do that tomorrow. And yes! Sabal tend to be rather slow, at least for me here. 

My thoughts ?.... We need better pictures of the dog! :P

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

My thoughts ?.... We need better pictures of the dog! :P

Say no more! Clockwise from the top: Loba, Zorro, Akela, and Rua. My gardening buddies 

20190523_084137.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Say no more! Clockwise from the top: Loba, Zorro, Akela, and Rua. My gardening buddies 

20190523_084137.jpg

Akela is the perfect name for the red fur baby!!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

21 hours ago, Chester B said:

I totally agree!  After months of waffling on which palm to put where, which might survive here or there, what if I get another of this for that spot, what if I don't like that one there....I finally said "screw it" and put about 20 palms into the ground.  :D  I was spending too much time obsessing over it and not spending enough time enjoying the garden!  Plus it was taking a lot of time and effort keeping the potted palms in the right spot, with enough sun but not too much, and weeding the pots and around them.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I totally agree!  After months of waffling on which palm to put where, which might survive here or there, what if I get another of this for that spot, what if I don't like that one there....I finally said "screw it" and put about 20 palms into the ground.  :D  I was spending too much time obsessing over it and not spending enough time enjoying the garden!  Plus it was taking a lot of time and effort keeping the potted palms in the right spot, with enough sun but not too much, and weeding the pots and around them.

if that's not the most accurate description of pot culture then I don't know what is. :greenthumb:

• Like 1