IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potted palm suggestions

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Looking for suggestions for a potted plant that does well in Houston summers and it would get full sun . Doesn't have to be hardy at all as I can bring it inside for winters. Right now I have a bottle palm that treat in this manner which loves our summer heat and humidity. I really wanted a burretiokentia viellardii but don't believe it could take full sun ? I'm open to all ideas and if you have pics of your potted palms that works even better =)

T J 

Here’s just a pic of the palms around my pool all potted 

left to right. 3 adonidias in one pot. A hyophorbe lagenicaulis (bottle) and 4 Phoenix roebellinis (Pygmy dates) in the pot 

roebellini does awesome indoors for me and I’m in Canada the others have been good as well. Also I choose these palms for pits because of there smaller sizes and slower growth rates so we can enjoy them longer 51694101-A0F7-40C7-9EF0-11546CCB8214.thumb.jpeg.1470a375b77e5f02802f6d665b23be5c.jpeg

• Like 1

Definitely looking like the place to be come summer time =) Palms finish the look. We love our bottle palm but I wanna try something real tropical but not sure what can take our full sun =)

T J 

Adonidia merrillii takes full sun in FL as does the coconut. You could also try Beccariophoenix alfredii, which looks a lot like a coconut but is cold hardier and slower growing. Remember that most tropical palms are not drought tolerant.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

11 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Adonidia merrillii takes full sun in FL as does the coconut. You could also try Beccariophoenix alfredii, which looks a lot like a coconut but is cold hardier and slower growing. Remember that most tropical palms are not drought tolerant.

Thanks for the idea Meg , adonidia looks like a possible winner which also made me think of carpoxlyn macrospermum ? Yeah all my potted plants get more TLC then the ones in the ground =)

T J 

Dypsis pembana is an excellent species here. Members in CA might have more suggestions. Many Dypsis spp, esp. the large ones, cannot tolerate the hot, humid summer days and sweltering nights in SWFL so I can't grow them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Dypsis pembana is an excellent species here. Members in CA might have more suggestions. Many Dypsis spp, esp. the large ones, cannot tolerate the hot, humid summer days and sweltering nights in SWFL so I can't grow them.

Well if you cant grow them i doubt i can. I had some nice teddy bears that didnt mind the full sun but they were 25g equivalent and in the geound when i lost them. =/

Meg your 2for2 on ideas D.Pembana and A.Merrillii great choices =) TY

T J 

• 3 weeks later...

How about Chameyronia macrocarpa?  Supposedly another good choice for a container and almost cold-hardy enough in the ground for League City once mature - but not quite.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

How about Chameyronia macrocarpa?  Supposedly another good choice for a container and almost cold-hardy enough in the ground for League City once mature - but not quite.

I think about that palm a lot I had 1 in the ground about a 25g sized 1 from Phil and I didn't protect it when it got down to 24 degrees, total loss. It didn't mind our summer sun but definitely wasn't as happy if it would've had some shade I'm sure. One day ill try and put 1 in the ground again cause the 1 I had never threw a new red leaf which was such a bummer haha

T J 

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find one, Nannorrhops would do great and would have some cold-tolerance, too. The silver-leaved forms are striking and won't quickly outgrow being potted, unlike Bismarckia. 

28 minutes ago, hbernstein said:

If you can find one, Nannorrhops would do great and would have some cold-tolerance, too. The silver-leaved forms are striking and won't quickly outgrow being potted, unlike Bismarckia. 

Thanks for the suggestion looking up palm tree now. Since im potting it i really want to grow something that cant grown in the ground in my locale. Nannorrhops seems like a palm that could easily grow here but may not care for our wet winters.  A triple Christmas palm kinda seems like the palm i may try, but not sure how much it will care for my full sun summers. 

T J 

I was going to say Chamaedorea cataractum, but I don’t think this species would tend to look its best in full sun, though it could adapt to it and look good, I haven’t tried such treatment personally.  I have always kept mine in shade.

Hyophorbe langencaulis would indeed be a good choice, as well as Hyophorbe verschaffeltii.  These would have to be protected a few nights per year in Houston though.   I am seeing more and more H. lagencaulis with some size in the ground and large decorative pots in Orlando.  I wonder about Hyophorbe indica?

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I was going to say Chamaedorea cataractum, but I don’t think this species would tend to look its best in full sun, though it could adapt to it and look good, I haven’t tried such treatment personally.  I have always kept mine in shade.

Hyophorbe langencaulis would indeed be a good choice, as well as Hyophorbe verschaffeltii.  These would have to be protected a few nights per year in Houston though.   I am seeing more and more H. lagencaulis with some size in the ground and large decorative pots in Orlando.  I wonder about Hyophorbe indica?

I actually already have a bottle palm in a pot that does really well in out summer heat and come winter time when i know we may catch anything close to a freeze i bring inside my garage where it never gets below 60 degrees. Basically i looking for another palm to go along with my bottle palm =) 

• Upvote 1

T J 

palmsOrl hit it. I've tried the Chamaedorea cataractum  here in S FL full sun and they lose the dark green color and look a little bleached out although they grow fine with plenty of water. They look nicer with partial shade.

• Upvote 1

Cat palms and Flamethrowers don't like full sun here in FL, even with daily summer rain.  The Chambeyronia will sunburn easily and may not look great.  Dypsis Pembana is a fast grower and clustering, and appearance-wise is about halfway between the Cat and the Flames.  I have a clump in full sun here in Orlando and it's happy.  The common Dypsis Lutescens (Areca Palm) is common, clustering, full sun and good to the upper 20s.  I'd do either of those over the Cat palm any day.

Adonidia do pretty well in pots, I've seen 6' tall triples in 7g-10g that looked like they were growing fine.  One advantage to the Adonidia may be that they tend to grow to about 6-8' tall OA pretty quick, but don't gain height fast after that.  The same goes for Foxtails, which is another similar option. 

If you want a bigger frond the Arenga Engleri is clustering and very cold hardy, but might not like full sun there.

Dypsis Decaryi (Triangle) is a good pot grower and full sun, hardy to the upper 20s and has big arching fronds.  I kinda like that one because it has a defined direction for the 3 fronds, so you can put it somewhere and "point it" into a corner, or parallel to a wall or screen, etc.  Sometimes that's handy instead of 99% of other palms that grow fronds in a circle.

• Upvote 2

Thanks @Merlyn2220that is very useful information i think im leaning towards a triple andonidia and your description of them might have sealed the deal :D I found a seller CBplants on Ebay with triples for a good price but wanted to look into them and see if they were palmtalkers too. 

T J 

I have a very hot, full sun drive way where the blacktop bakes in the Summer.   My biggest, containerized palms that I rely on in my oasis include; Phoenix canariensis  (Canary Island Date palm) and Phoenix roebellini (Pygmy Date Palm), Washingtonia filibuster (you can also use W. robusta or filifera, but I like the hybrids best for a variety of reasons), and Butia/Pindo palms.  Of those palms, all are relatively cold hardy except for the Pygmy Date but I have to protect all from our Winters here in NJ (Zone 7A); they go into a sunny, large, loft garage and can survive the rare, light frost (as garage is minimally heated, or insulated for that matter).

I also use red, pink, magenta and white oleanders for color.

Edited by oasis371
addition

If you can get a Bismarkia nobilis, those would also work..., gorgeous palms ,btw.  In the same HOT zone palm area, I also have the occasional Foxtail, Coconut, Mediterranean Fan (Chamaerops humilis), and Dypsis, but palms like Chamaedorea and Livisona (Chinese fans), and even Adonidia would ROAST out there. 

Oh, forgot another MUST have to my above posting..., QUEEN Palms!!!  One is not enough..., I have four large Queen palms (also good cold hardiness), mine sailed though a garage temp of 27 F. when the outside winter minimum of 2.0 F occurred in late January.

May I make a suggestion as well. Wodyetia bifurcata. Does awesome indoors grows fast and for me anyway handles any soil I throw at it   A dry 40 percent house in Canada and no brown tipping 

@oasis371 ty for the ideas im definitely looking for something more rare and cant be grown in south Texas. A palm for full texas sun and wont out grow my garage in the winter. I actually just planted 2 bizzies in my planter =) 

@Rickybobby im listening to all suggestions you definitely know a thing or 2 about potted plants. Foxtails are great palms and can almost be planted out here but eventually will get knocked down. There pretty common out here tho 

T J