IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus Dammoropsis All over my Yard

Briank

Some pics of All my Ficus Dammoropsis.  Have 5 in total and a Ficus Ariculata.   Love big Leaf Plants and growing as many as I can find.  

2A517F77-1347-4306-BACB-A8762764234F.jpeg

• Like 3

I love those and would love to try myself but too expensive to risk in my area at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Briank said:

trying to upload all my others but having trouble.  

Try refreshing then upload. Happens to me often but refreshing always works. 

Ok thanks.   Yeah they pricey but I’m telling you they Well worth every penny bud.   I got all mine as 1ga or 3ga.  They grow sooooo fast.  Maybe put shade structure up in Mo Vall or Semi Shade area will do just fine.  

Oh man those are gorgeous! In my area I worry mostly about frost. I wouldn't plant in full sun here that's for sure. Gotta say I'm a sucker for those big leaves! Looks like one is opening red and pretty. 

Beautiful plants! Have you (or anyone else who has multiple plants) ever tried pollinating the flowers? If you could produce viable F. dammaropsis seeds you'd be sitting on a goldmine!! 

14 hours ago, Josh76 said:

Beautiful plants! Have you (or anyone else who has multiple plants) ever tried pollinating the flowers? If you could produce viable F. dammaropsis seeds you'd be sitting on a goldmine!! 

They need to be air layered.  And I don’t know how lol gonna have to start trimming them and wish they wouldn’t go to waste. Maybe someday so I could give to people to plant.  A magnificent tree 

Mine grows up very vigorously, but when the leaves toward the bottom get old and eventually drop, nothing new grows on  the lower trunk. So I have a parasol of four or five huge leaves at the top and four feet of bare trunk below. Maybe I should air layer and start over. . . . Or is this its natural habit? I would be terrified to pinch terminal growth to produce side sprouting. . . . 

IMG_4754.jpeg

Edited by Kaname-kun

On 5/21/2019 at 8:23 PM, Briank said:

My Low Land Form getting chewed up by Snails.  Damn Bugs 

85F9ED9C-2C53-4FC3-8E3A-F5AF599AA411.jpeg

Highland form do well here, and a Lowland utterly melted this winter - even though we didn't freeze!  Looks like a big difference in cold hardiness.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

56 minutes ago, Kaname-kun said:

Mine grows up very vigorously, but when the leaves toward the bottom get old and eventually drop, nothing new grows on  the lower trunk. So I have a parasol of four or five huge leaves at the top and four feet of bare trunk below. Maybe I should air layer and start over. . . . Or is this its natural habit? I would be terrified to pinch terminal growth to produce side sprouting. . . . 

IMG_4754.jpeg

That form would be what I want.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

My potted highland F. dammaropsis straggles on outdoors year-round, tucked back in a corner with a southern exposure, under the roof overhang. And chewing insects still manage to find it!

Ficus.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

My potted highland F. dammaropsis straggles on outdoors year-round, tucked back in a corner with a southern exposure, under the roof overhang. And chewing insects still manage to find it!

Ficus.png

Bastards!

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

14 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

IMG_4754.jpeg

Nice lowland. I wonder where it came from..lol

• Like 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 5/26/2019 at 8:12 AM, Kaname-kun said:

IMG_4754.jpeg

I think it looks the best when the leaves are just forming at top! Way cooler in my opinion.  It grows so fast, and wide if they didn’t man good luck walking around it ! Haha love the look of big stiff leaves up top and dangling arching stems.  Yours looks great too 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:08 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

Highland form do well here, and a Lowland utterly melted this winter - even though we didn't freeze!  Looks like a big difference in cold hardiness.

Yeah I bought 2 just in case.   1 just crumbled in died, this one keeps going but just looks like shit lol.  I’ll keep it around but might be good money gone :( ah well more room to plant something else! 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 1:24 AM, Josh-O said:

Nice lowland. I wonder where it came from..lol

From Jeff Searles, as a tiny starter plant one year ago.  Since you all like this "umbrella" form, I'll stop wishing it were bushier. :rolleyes:

On 5/29/2019 at 12:19 PM, Kaname-kun said:

From Jeff Searles, as a tiny starter plant one year ago.  Since you all like this "umbrella" form, I'll stop wishing it were bushier. :rolleyes:

Just think about all the cool small palms or bromeliads or Elephant ears you can plant below this Huge Umbrella! 

2 minutes ago, Briank said:

Just think about all the cool small palms or bromeliads or Elephant ears you can plant below this Huge Umbrella! 

ohh yeah!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Yup, I already do that. I use the space underneath it to grow out baby tree ferns, tender saplings like Brownea and Browneopsis, and my Verschaffeltia splendida palms.