IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is This Guy A Goner?

Butch

ebofyFF.jpg

The spear on this Veitchia, broke/collapsed/rotted / fell over or something.. It looks pretty brown, as opposed to green....We have been having some rain with some really strong winds... Maybe the wind broke it and it's not some kind of disease, rot or fungus... There is no way that I can get up there to take a closer look... This tree had a lot of problems when it was young, but has been doing pretty well the last 4-5 years (Even producing abundant seed).. It usually looks a little rough after winter, but with a little heat, it comes back just fine... Is It doomed?

Thanks, Butch

Only time will tell. It is obviously a strong palm, and this is a great time of year to help it grow out of it. Without looking, there isn't much else to evaluate. If possible, some H2O2 in a sprayer and trying to get it up in there a few times wouldn't hurt.

You could maybe try to pull that broken part down and take a look to see if any critters or rot are visible - or if it was just broken.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 2 months later...

Well, this double spear fell off the tree... It looks to have a fungus/mold issue.... Can this self heal? There is no way for me to get up there and do anything about it.... After two dead spears, is there a chance of more health spears developing?.. We have been having warm dry weather, can that dry out and kill the fungus/mold?...

hUqZjUI.jpg

GOKqLEe.jpg

215Y7sZ.jpg

a3XJ1tw.jpg

Thanks,

Butch

Your palm most definitely can self heal albeit possibly slower in recovery with no artificial help. Good looking palm keep us posted 

• Like 1

T J 

My guess is the tree is done when the spear rots out. 

Put is this way, I’ve seen spears rot out but I never saw a palm recover from it.

Spear pull isnt a death sentence at all. Ideally you want to put hydrogen peroxide in the crown to help the palm recover. I have a mule palm that spear pulled at 20° F and is looking really good now finally =) 

15 minutes ago, HiwaKika said:

My guess is the tree is done when the spear rots out. 

Put is this way, I’ve seen spears rot out but I never saw a palm recover from it.

• Upvote 1

T J 

Spear is problematic, but not death sentence.  I like either hydrogen peroxide or copper in the crown.  It may not need either. Just try to let it dry out some. 

• Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

@Butch!

EEK!

NOT GOOD.

But not fatal, either. Get thee to the 99 store and fetch some peroxide and dump them into the hole. Get a ladder, don't fall.

Then wait.

Been there done that, and let us know how it goes.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@Butch!

EEK!

NOT GOOD.

But not fatal, either. Get thee to the 99 store and fetch some peroxide and dump them into the hole. Get a ladder, don't fall.

Then wait.

Been there done that, and let us know how it goes.

Dave.... The only ladder I have that would reach is an extension ladder, and I don't trust the tree to be stable enough to hold the ladder.. I don't see any other way of getting up there to dump the peroxide... I've been looking on line for some sort of pole attachment to hold and dump a bottle... No luck.... I have an idea for a DIY  solution, and am headed to the garage to do a little tinkering. :36_14_15[1]:

Butch

I think a drone would come in handy for a situation like this.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, Butch said:

Dave.... The only ladder I have that would reach is an extension ladder, and I don't trust the tree to be stable enough to hold the ladder.. I don't see any other way of getting up there to dump the peroxide... I've been looking on line for some sort of pole attachment to hold and dump a bottle... No luck.... I have an idea for a DIY  solution, and am headed to the garage to do a little tinkering. :36_14_15[1]:

Butch

Swimming pool telescoping pole and rig something to pour with zip ties

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Swimming pool telescoping pole and rig something to pour with zip ties

Exactly what I did. I had the pool pole and a two story window washing pole. I used the window washing pole. The big problem was getting a way to dump the bottle. I looked on line for something, but found nada. I'll post some pics of the redneck contraption when I get a chance. It worked:rolleyes:... I'm surprised no one makes something. Nobody told me how much to use... I used three 16oz bottles... I hope I didn't drown or poison the poor tree. Anyway thanks to all for the help.. A bunch of cool people...

Butch

On 8/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, Butch said:

Exactly what I did. I had the pool pole and a two story window washing pole. I used the window washing pole. The big problem was getting a way to dump the bottle. I looked on line for something, but found nada. I'll post some pics of the redneck contraption when I get a chance. It worked:rolleyes:... I'm surprised no one makes something. Nobody told me how much to use... I used three 16oz bottles... I hope I didn't drown or poison the poor tree. Anyway thanks to all for the help.. A bunch of cool people...

Butch

Nah 3 bottles on that large wont hurt it.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 1 month later...

This palm is looking a little better. A new spear is out and a stunted frond is unfurling. May need to do another peroxide drop though. 
Josh-O you have a message. 
Butch 

• Like 2

Would love to see a picture.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

On 10/9/2019 at 5:58 PM, awkonradi said:

Would love to see a picture.

Ok... 1st and best I could do with the Santa Anas blowing... Kinda frizzled on the tips, but the spear is green and not just a brown stick, like the last 1st two spears... Maybe another dose of the peroxide?

Cje1sPO.jpg

bEuJmOm.jpg

b5WW8sW.jpg

Butch

• Like 2

Looking good another peroxide treatment wouldnt hurt. But i think you might be in the clear =) 

T J 

Thanks for the pics!  Good work taking care of that!

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat