IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Schefflera's are sprouting

Chester B

New growth on the Schefflera's has started.  

S. Tawainiana "yuan shan" - soon to be planted

1754503679_Schefflerataiwaniana1.thumb.jpg.b0503a8a4d9c69a66a07daadfaa47207.jpg

Schefflera delayvii - unusual looking new growth

429265713_Scheffleradelayvii3.thumb.jpg.76ad0b61545c875cc69e0d27560d8c95.jpg

816629539_Scheffleradelayvii4.thumb.jpg.907e9cb2c5a6e938fc103014ea7a653c.jpg

1116096142_Scheffleradelayvii5.thumb.jpg.835bb63c161c84bfd63341ce069b7095.jpg

Not a Schefflera but another interesting plant - Pseudopanax laetus.  This thing is growing much faster than I ever expected and bigger.  Very shiny new foliage.

442268940_Kiwishrub.thumb.jpg.18b4c2f38bc54a4e50a14ac910cc7d58.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cool. Had not seen that s. Delayvii. Thanks.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Great garden and pictures. I have every one of those plants and they all grow really fast for me. I have a few other Schefflera not mention. Good job! don't know why more gardeners aren't growing these Schefflera, P. laetus will most likely not grow outside the west coast since it native to NZ. But man it sure is a nice tropical looking shrub. 

Edited by Palm crazy

I'm really liking the Schefflera., just as tropical looking as any palm.  It seems like they may be hardier than fatsia, which is an added bonus.  

S. taiwaniana is a little pricey since its sold through Monrovia.  I noticed prices went up this year ($80-$85) although there is one garden center out of the way where I bought mine that only set me back $50.  They have one left that I would love to pick up but it's kind of hard for me to "sneak" larger plants into the garden unnoticed.  

Cistus Nursery propagates small S.delavyii so they are pretty reasonably priced (<$20).  I will pick some more up this year when I see them around.  So far these two species are all I've been able to find.

As far as P. laetus they are stocking really big one around here this year (5' tall) whereas last year they were at most 3'.  Mines getting close to 4' and the same around.

Prices have gone down. I got most of mine form nursery plant sales here in WA.  I paid the same price for S. taiwaniana and S. alpinia at Windcliff nursery.  S. brevipedicellata from a friend in Aberdeen.  And I got P. laetus from lowes 5 gallons,  can't remember how many years ago. It now 8' tall and looks way more tropical than when I first bought it. 

I'd love to find the other two that I'm missing.  They really do bring a good tropical vibe.  Do you know if they can be propagated from cutting like Fatsia?

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I'd love to find the other two that I'm missing.  They really do bring a good tropical vibe.  Do you know if they can be propagated from cutting like Fatsia?

Not really sure about propagation, but my friend grew the one I got from seed from his mature plant, he lives above Aberdeen WA 9a, in 8b elevation.  The Holy Grail of all Schefflera is S. macrophylla and so far no one has been able to propagate it. It also not hardy in z8. Leave are big like gunnera.