IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Varieties Help

Johnny Palmseed

I have been out of the palm world for a while and have decided to try my hand again. One of the things I would like to try is the coconut. I would like to get seeds or germinated plants so if anyone has a good source in east central Florida that would be great. I remember that there are different varieties but I don't remember seeing a description to determine which would be right for me. Can anyone explain the differences and/or submit some pics? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, John

For Central Florida, the tall varieties are supposed to be generally more cold hardy and many think they are better looking when mature.  They are also supposedly more tolerant of sandy nutrient poor soils.

I typically just order the variety I want online usually from eBay.   I did find a nursery near Orlando that currently has talls and green and golden Malayan dwarf variety Cocos in stock.  Green’s Nursery has excellent prices but isn’t that close to you on the East Coast. 

@Johnny Palmseed

I grow a Green Malayan Dwarf, a Maypan and 2 x Jamaican Talls.  I got the Green Malayan Dwarf from a Home Depot in Vero Beach after seeing one at South Beach Park make it through Jan. 2010 with relatively little damage.  I got the Maypan and Jamaican Talls from Marc Gingras at Calusa Palms at the USF Spring Plant Sale and GreenThumb in St. Pete.

I have some older pictures of my coconuts at the following links:

Palms and Others of Interest

Coconuts in Lakeland, FL

The best example of Jamaican Tall in a Central Florida environment is probably the ones at Kopsick:

Jamaican Talls at Kopsick

If you search these forums, you'll find hundreds of coconut threads with tons of pictures, growing advice, etc. for varieties you never knew existed.  @Zeeth and @PalmatierMeg can probably give you advice for a wide range of varieties. 

For the varieties I grow, the Jamaican Tall has a very full crown - almost spherical in the hot summers here.  They grow very fast.

The Malayan Dwarfs tend to have more of an "umbrella" appearance and grow a little slower.  They are easier to protect for those of us that need to give ours a little extra help through the winter.

The Maypan is a cross between a Panama Tall and a Malayan Dwarf.  The coconuts that come off these things are humongous; literally larger than an NBA Official Size basketball.  The crown shape is a mix between the fullness of a tall and the umbrella shape of the dwarf.

Depending on where you are at on Merritt Island, you might have a lot easier time growing them than those of us further inland.  Certain coconuts get celebrity status in these threads, in particular any of @GottmitAlex's coconuts (grown in southern CA) and the International Drive Coconut at Charley's Steakhouse in Orlando.

Welcome back to palm growing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Your best bet for your area is either a Panama tall or a Fiji Dwarf, depending on your personal needs. I wouldn't bother with Malayan or Maypan. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Is Panama tall now thought to be the most cold hardy commonly available variety Keith?

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Is Panama tall now thought to be the most cold hardy commonly available variety Keith?

The green petiole Hawaiian tall has done better for me, but it's hard to get and I don't know if my tree is a fluke or not, so my recommendation is more based on better availability (from Fairchild and the USDA) and better coconut composition for eating/drinking than cold hardiness alone. I've donated PT's to Kopsick and Selby though, so those should eventually be able to make a good long-term comparison. I plan to donate some of my Hawaiian tall too once my trees set fruit (which should be soon). 

Jamaican tall has been quite variable for me, and trees are more available in west central Florida compared to Merritt Island. Trees from Anna Maria Island and Kopsick stock are quite cold tolerant, but trees from the Keys are pretty cold sensitive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Keith 

I ordered a number of Hawaiian tall off eBay a few years ago and they were all green.  They are still offered on eBay but they aren’t cheap.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, palmsOrl said:

For Central Florida, the tall varieties are supposed to be generally more cold hardy and many think they are better looking when mature.  They are also supposedly more tolerant of sandy nutrient poor soils.

I typically just order the variety I want online usually from eBay.   I did find a nursery near Orlando that currently has talls and green and golden Malayan dwarf variety Cocos in stock.  Green’s Nursery has excellent prices but isn’t that close to you on the East Coast. 

Wow they do have great prices! But yes it is a bit far.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:16 PM, kinzyjr said:

@Johnny Palmseed

I grow a Green Malayan Dwarf, a Maypan and 2 x Jamaican Talls.  I got the Green Malayan Dwarf from a Home Depot in Vero Beach after seeing one at South Beach Park make it through Jan. 2010 with relatively little damage.  I got the Maypan and Jamaican Talls from Marc Gingras at Calusa Palms at the USF Spring Plant Sale and GreenThumb in St. Pete.

I have some older pictures of my coconuts at the following links:

Palms and Others of Interest

Coconuts in Lakeland, FL

The best example of Jamaican Tall in a Central Florida environment is probably the ones at Kopsick:

Jamaican Talls at Kopsick

If you search these forums, you'll find hundreds of coconut threads with tons of pictures, growing advice, etc. for varieties you never knew existed.  @Zeeth and @PalmatierMeg can probably give you advice for a wide range of varieties. 

For the varieties I grow, the Jamaican Tall has a very full crown - almost spherical in the hot summers here.  They grow very fast.

The Malayan Dwarfs tend to have more of an "umbrella" appearance and grow a little slower.  They are easier to protect for those of us that need to give ours a little extra help through the winter.

The Maypan is a cross between a Panama Tall and a Malayan Dwarf.  The coconuts that come off these things are humongous; literally larger than an NBA Official Size basketball.  The crown shape is a mix between the fullness of a tall and the umbrella shape of the dwarf.

Depending on where you are at on Merritt Island, you might have a lot easier time growing them than those of us further inland.  Certain coconuts get celebrity status in these threads, in particular any of @GottmitAlex's coconuts (grown in southern CA) and the International Drive Coconut at Charley's Steakhouse in Orlando.

Welcome back to palm growing.

Im surprised you were able to identify a Home Depot plant. When I see them now, they just say “Coconut”. And they are about $20 for a 3 gallon. Not sure that’s a good deal. The only good thing is the 1 year guarantee.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:43 PM, Zeeth said:

Your best bet for your area is either a Panama tall or a Fiji Dwarf, depending on your personal needs. I wouldn't bother with Malayan or Maypan. 

Are these both “greens”?

Panama tall is variable and can be green, yellowish or orangish. The colors aren't as bright as the yellow or orange Malayans, but they're not always strictly green.

Fiji dwarf varies from green to brown. I've seen an orange Fiji, but I suspect that it may have been a hybrid.

Keith 

21 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Im surprised you were able to identify a Home Depot plant. When I see them now, they just say “Coconut”. And they are about $20 for a 3 gallon. Not sure that’s a good deal. The only good thing is the 1 year guarantee.

Typically, Home Depot only carries Malayan Dwarfs (Green or Golden).  They typically just label them 'Coconut' as you have observed, but they don't carry the other varieties from what I have seen.  Mine was definitely the Green variety by process of elimination.  After 2010, our local stores stopped carrying coconuts due to the amount of money they lost on the 1-year guarantee.  When I bought mine, they were only $10, but now $20 is pretty standard no matter who I buy them from or which store/show. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F