SilverDragon

Curved cotyledons?

SilverDragon

I have some P sargentii that I've grown from seed, but their cotys are curving...why is this?

IMG_20190519_191436.jpg

Howeadypsis

Very strange!

Johnny Palmseed

Do you rotate the pots? Perhaps they are angling toward the sun.

• Upvote 1

Rickybobby

I’ve had some trachycarpus seedlings do the exact same thing. Not sure if the seed got buried more than normal or what? But they did go back straight with time and no worry 

• Like 1

NC_Palms

I've experienced this phenomenon with my Phoenix seedlings. I am not sure what causes them to curve but they seem to straighten up as they continue to grow. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale is a lot of 3 Zamia variegata seedlings I bought in a compot at a Palm Beach Palm/Cycad Sale. The mother is Zamia variegata but I can't be sure about the father. Zamia variegata comes from Central America and is threatened by habitat loss. My research indicates it is the only variegated cycad in the world.
      Lot of 3 Zamia variegata sp/hyb seedlings = $20.00
      Shipping = $10.00   No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $30.00
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a limited number of ripe seeds from my only surviving Sabal etonia. This species is native to central and north central Florida. It is a dwarf palm with an underground stem, although rarely it will form a stem up to 6' tall. My mother palm shows strong dwarf traits - it is only 3' tall and 3-4' wide although it is nearly 12 years old and has been flowering for the past 3-4 years. It usually produces a crop of 200-300 seeds, sometimes fewer. Its 2' wide leaves are less costapalmate than most other Sabals, similar to Sabal minor except they are light green instead of blue green. S. etonia has larger fruit than S. palmetto. It is coldhardy to zone 8, marginal in 7. Like all Sabals It loves heat and sun.
      See summary below
      Sabal etonia: 50 seeds @ $10.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $5.00 via First Class Mail in a padded envelope. 
      Total = $15.00
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI. PM me if you are interested
      Photos

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I need to find a new for 50+ Coccothrinax borhidiana seedlings I germinated. They are 6-9 months old and have 1 to 3 leaves and vigorous root systems. I received them from a fellow palm lover last year. I don't have a photo of the actual mother palm but my source told me the seeds came from her palm and no other Coccothrinax spp were nearby. However, I am posting a 2017 photo of one of my C. borhidiana (not the mother).
      See summary below:
      Coccothrinax borhidiana: 50+ seedlings @ $30.00 for the lot.
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail. Sent without pots & soil, with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil
      Total = $40.00
      Payment via Paypal
      Photos
      Seedlings for sale

Coccothrinax borhidiana from my garden (not the mother palm)

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale is One Lot of 40 seeds from my 3 Chamaedorea hooperiana palms. This is a clustering palm with stems that can reach 12' tall. Cham hooper is native to the state of Veracruz in Mexico where it grows in tropical rain forest at 3,000-5,000'. It is better known in CA and although you might expect it to prefer a mediterranean climate, it thrives for me in the heat and humidity of FL. I grew the parent palms (2 female, 1 male) from seeds and planted them in shade on the east side of the house. There they have grown to maturity and not given me a lick of trouble.
      See summary below
      Chamaedorea hooperiana: 40 seeds @ $8.00 for the lot.
      Shipping = $5.00 via First Class Mail in a padded envelope. 
      Total = $13.00
      Payment via Paypal
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant has produced a crop of 250 seeds this year. For info on this beautiful NC native Sabal minor check out link below from last year:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/&tab=comments#comment-868587
      I am selling this year's crop as follows:
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant seeds: 50 @ $10.00
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Total = $15.00
      Payment via Paypal. Pm me if you are interested.
      Photos

Mother palm