Jump to content
Love them palms

Growth speed Butia yatay x Jubea vs Jubea x Butia yatay

Recommended Posts

MarkbVet
Just now, Chester B said:

Yeah I don't think Dan is into palms as much as other plants.  I've seen lots of pictures of his garden and they are just the usual palms.

Maybe chamaerops then,   the leaves looked tidier than windmill palm i thought...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
1 minute ago, Chester B said:

I looked up these ones, they were very similar in appearance thanks.

I was growing Joshua trees from seed, but they all eventually faded away after a couple years.

probably a good way to grow them if you have enough time and patience, but they are finicky... the more heat and sun they can receive, the better your odds.  And lots of sandy loose soil drainage in this climate.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paradise Found

The only reason I don't have cactus pads, oputina is because of slugs, they love to eat them and by spring you got swiss cheese, LOL. I am hoping this drier bed will keep them away.  Can't grow everything I guess. I do have some cactus from H.D. that hate the rain but live on my front porch with no problems at all. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
8 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

The only reason I don't have cactus pads, oputina is because of slugs, they love to eat them and by spring you got swiss cheese, LOL. I am hoping this drier bed will keep them away.  Can't grow everything I guess. I do have some cactus from H.D. that hate the rain but live on my front porch with no problems at all. 

I had no idea they would eat them.  Mine were never bothered, but then again I have no slugs in my front yard - too hot and dry.

21 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

probably a good way to grow them if you have enough time and patience, but they are finicky... the more heat and sun they can receive, the better your odds.  And lots of sandy loose soil drainage in this climate.   

Someone gave me the seeds as a gift.  I had them in well draining soil in pots, I can't really say what caused their decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
9 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

The only reason I don't have cactus pads, oputina is because of slugs, they love to eat them and by spring you got swiss cheese, LOL. I am hoping this drier bed will keep them away.  Can't grow everything I guess. I do have some cactus from H.D. that hate the rain but live on my front porch with no problems at all. 

Yeah slugs love early growth on cactus, even the spiny ones. Once the pads harden up, they tend to be more slug resistant.  I've had to put slug bait all around mine in early spring to keep new buds from being eaten.  Even contemplated creating a low voltage wiring barrier around the plants to keep slugs off lol.   Drier area may help, and if not a big area, a ring of pelleted slug bait around the periphery, or a tiny ring around each plant, will do the trick (just don't let pets eat it!).  The liquid baits wash away too fast for my taste.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
Just now, Chester B said:

I had no idea they would eat them.  Mine were never bothered, but then again I have no slugs in my front yard - too hot and dry.

Someone gave me the seeds as a gift.  I had them in well draining soil in pots, I can't really say what caused their decline.

Hmm dunno... nutrient issue?  Not enough sun? A little too much water?   Not sure.  Would have loved to see those get big.    :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

Yeah slugs love early growth on cactus, even the spiny ones. Once the pads harden up, they tend to be more slug resistant.  I've had to put slug bait all around mine in early spring to keep new buds from being eaten.  Even contemplated creating a low voltage wiring barrier around the plants to keep slugs off lol.   Drier area may help, and if not a big area, a ring of pelleted slug bait around the periphery, or a tiny ring around each plant, will do the trick (just don't let pets eat it!).  The liquid baits wash away too fast for my taste.  

One word - copper. You can place copper rings around the base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet

copper would have some toxicity properties-- but would it work fast enough to keep slugs off the plants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

copper would have some toxicity properties-- but would it work fast enough to keep slugs off the plants?

Copper rings are a natural slug deterrent. It’s an old fashioned way to deter them. When they try to climb over the copper they get zapped due to a mild electrical current from the compounds in their slime. Effective in wet and dry conditions. Non toxic, it’s most commonly used in vegetable gardens. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet

Nice, may have to try it.... not sure if i'd use it around food plants, as copper is toxic if leached into the soil and into the plant (not sure how much would actually leach, it may not be an issue,  but it's definitely toxic if ingested).  But for our types of plants, certainly not much harm in trying.... challenge may be to get flexible copper in a form i can use, kinda like rolled zinc strips (used to keep moss off of roofs, because that metal is toxic to moss growth, just like iron).  If i could find thinly rolled copper in thin 3-5 inch widths, that could be fitted around plants with the edge buried in the soil, that would be cool!  Wonder if it still works if it gets a surface tarnish buildup?  Some of my plants are 20 feet in circumference at ground level, so a small loop wouldn't do it.  May be easier for my smaller plants though!

Edited by MarkbVet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 7/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, TonyDFW said:

I received a Yatay x Jubea from Patric in 2015. It has been a fast grower and very cold hardy. It survived a winter low of 13F unprotected.  To me and many others the palm seems to favor the Jubea parent.  Stiff leaves large trunk.  It’s a beautiful palm. Does anyone else have one if these hybrids that ghry can share a pic with?

E0AF10BC-2AE2-4AFC-BBA9-67BB17905EDD.jpeg

D88F699E-21E5-42D4-8034-90D1E9B5939E.jpeg

4F4004D0-4750-45E1-95AB-B7344C5F8C01.jpeg

Did this one survive the 2021 freeze? And if so, did it have any protection? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 11/28/2020 at 11:13 PM, TonyDFW said:

1E50FB9A-4F96-4962-B446-FBFBA5E6721C.jpeg

Did this one survive the 2021 Texas freeze? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206
32 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Did this one survive the 2021 Texas freeze?

I Believe this one was lost during 3F in 2021, was a beautiful specimen and actually the palm that made me seek this hybrid out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
4 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I Believe this one was lost during 3F in 2021, was a beautiful specimen and actually the palm that made me seek this hybrid out.

That freeze was brutal. Worse than anything I've experienced here in NC. I think the worst part of that freeze wasn't even the low nighttime temps but the low high temps for over a week. More than a week below freezing. I'm ok if I have to protect this palm every once in a while but I just don't want it to be an every year thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206
1 minute ago, knikfar said:

That freeze was brutal. Worse than anything I've experienced here in NC. I think the worst part of that freeze wasn't even the low nighttime temps but the low high temps for over a week. More than a week below freezing. I'm ok if I have to protect this palm every once in a while but I just don't want it to be an every year thing. 

Ya i feel bad for the folks who say they lost 20 years of of palm growing, yikes. I would think that it would probably need protection every winter until at least pretty established. maybe 3-4 years. maybe a pure jubaea might do better in the lower temps, but they are either expensive or wait a lifetime to get to an overhead size. Anything below 8b gets tough. but good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric33

My Jubaea x Yatay

IMG_20220314_091924.jpg

IMG_20220314_091938.jpg

IMG_20220314_092001.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
6 hours ago, Eric33 said:

My Jubaea x Yatay

 

 

 

Did you get that as a strap leaf? I’m 0 for 3 with strap leaf jxb :crying:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
On 2/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, knikfar said:

That freeze was brutal. Worse than anything I've experienced here in NC. I think the worst part of that freeze wasn't even the low nighttime temps but the low high temps for over a week. More than a week below freezing. I'm ok if I have to protect this palm every once in a while but I just don't want it to be an every year thing. 

End of 2018 beginning of 2019 was pretty bad for you guys. It was cold here but nothing like you had up that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
3 hours ago, RJ said:

Did you get that as a strap leaf? I’m 0 for 3 with strap leaf jxb :crying:

My first strap leaf JxB I killed plus my BxJxS and BxLytoWedd. After losing those, I only go big now from Patric. Which honestly is a way better deal with the size that shows up.

T J 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk

Jubaea X Yatay early spring.  No winter protection.  So far it just looks like a less recurved Butia.  Hoping it will look nicer after this season.

IMG_20220330_192431.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
added content
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric33
14 hours ago, RJ said:

Did you get that as a strap leaf? I’m 0 for 3 with strap leaf jxb :crying:

He is on the left

October 21, 2021

IMG_20211021_200644.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
18 hours ago, RJ said:

End of 2018 beginning of 2019 was pretty bad for you guys. It was cold here but nothing like you had up that way. 

Oh I remember. It was awful. I'm not saying those extreme winter events don't happen here because they obviously do. But getting down to 3f, with a week below freezing, hasn't happened here in recent history, not even in 2018. My point was that I know that will happen at some point and I'm ok with having to protect my palms every so often like that. But this particular variety should be able to survive most winters here in Raleigh without protection. Not all, but most. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206

Update on ones received in December that were only 3 strap leaves yatay x jubaea first pinnate frond, and Jubaea x yatay just splitting leaves now. 

6EFC6042-912B-4F6A-90AA-9F86FA0DFBA9.jpeg

014463EF-E779-4F5A-8AF2-7502B9F158DB.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ

Uggg... I have no idea why I have zero luck with these as strap leaves. Kudos to you guys who have gotten them to grow. :greenthumb: I've had no issues with BxJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...