IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growth speed Butia yatay x Jubea vs Jubea x Butia yatay

Love them palms

I reviewed 3 seedlings from Patric a week ago one was a Butia yatay x Jubea  and one was a Jubea x Butia yatay, plus a Butia x parajubea sunkha. Just kinda  Curious between the first 2 which one is the faster growing, I live in the the PNW so hopefully they are compatible with my area,anyone have experience with these species?

15582244934324515290985686617001.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

The BxP will hammer the other two, I can tell you that much.

That's why I did not ask about that one.its in a class by itself gonna stay in a pot till next spring 

In my limited experience- JxB has outpaced BxJ.  JxB seem to have a thicker trunk also.  

• Like 2

How did you manage to acquire these?  

39 minutes ago, Chester B said:

My guess is Patrick Shafer 

With these hybrids which Butia is commonly used capitata or yatay ? 

T J 

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

Patric Shafer 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Patric Shafer 

Right, but how were you able to contact him for these?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Right, but how were you able to contact him for these?

Thanks

coolhybrids@wildblue.net ,you have to be patient with Patric cause he does not respond right away,he will send you a list of what he has if you request it

I bought 2 each of BYxJ and JxBY from Patric a few months ago, they are all about the same size as your first photo.  I have them in "deep quarts" right now and will probably transfer them to 4x14" deep treepots sometime over the summer.  They are all putting out leaves at a pretty good speed.  They may not be as fast as something like a Dictyosperma Rubrum, but seem pretty quick for a small palm just over seedling size.  One had a very pale new leaf growing, which I think is an indicator of an iron deficiency.  I added a couple of grains of nutricote to the pot, and will have to check and see how it's doing in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I bought 2 each of BYxJ and JxBY from Patric a few months ago, they are all about the same size as your first photo.  I have them in "deep quarts" right now and will probably transfer them to 4x14" deep treepots sometime over the summer.  They are all putting out leaves at a pretty good speed.  They may not be as fast as something like a Dictyosperma Rubrum, but seem pretty quick for a small palm just over seedling size.  One had a very pale new leaf growing, which I think is an indicator of an iron deficiency.  I added a couple of grains of nutricote to the pot, and will have to check and see how it's doing in a couple of weeks.

gave mine all some miracle gro transplant shock treatment with some super thrive when I put em in pots then gave them some fish fertilizer yesterday. Should help get them going. Can't wait for them get out of transplant shock so they start growing 

• 1 month later...

I received a Yatay x Jubea from Patric in 2015. It has been a fast grower and very cold hardy. It survived a winter low of 13F unprotected.  To me and many others the palm seems to favor the Jubea parent.  Stiff leaves large trunk.  It’s a beautiful palm. Does anyone else have one if these hybrids that ghry can share a pic with?

E0AF10BC-2AE2-4AFC-BBA9-67BB17905EDD.jpeg

D88F699E-21E5-42D4-8034-90D1E9B5939E.jpeg

4F4004D0-4750-45E1-95AB-B7344C5F8C01.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Dang, Tony, that's a fantastic-looking palm. Was it 5 Gallon when you bought it in 2015?

6 hours ago, Swolte said:

Dang, Tony, that's a fantastic-looking palm. Was it 5 Gallon when you bought it in 2015?

Yep that's a keeper. I have several of both. and plan to use them an anchor palms at my house. They seem to be pretty slow when in strap lead stage. Perhaps concentrating on bottom growth. Once they start to go pinate though they seem to pick up steam. 

Edited by RJ

11 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

I received a Yatay x Jubea from Patric in 2015. It has been a fast grower and very cold hardy. It survived a winter low of 13F unprotected.  To me and many others the palm seems to favor the Jubea parent.  Stiff leaves large trunk.  It’s a beautiful palm. Does anyone else have one if these hybrids that ghry can share a pic with?

Tony, as I mentioned - my guess is that’s JxB. I will try and post a couple pictures here of my Patric JxB. Getting tougher to get pictures of the whole palm in my jungle!

0561D156-3E2E-442F-9B34-118FD4696FDE.jpeg

617AACA8-1B89-45F3-86FE-0336FA8539F6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Beautiful j x b you have there Ben.

I have one too in a very tight spot that might give me some headache in the near future.

Here is my y x j. It makes six fronds per year in my climate.

IMG_20190720_130443_compress10_resize_55.jpg.ada71b80d6ff6ef2879f7ee9f7d98a7a.jpg

IMG_20190720_130920_compress59_resize_19.jpg.b4b46b3fff8f0b18000898b19c231c77.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, maesy said:

Beautiful j x b you have there Ben.

I have one too in a very tight spot that might give me some headache in the near future.

Here is my y x j. It makes six fronds per year in my climate.

IMG_20190720_130443_compress10_resize_55.jpg.ada71b80d6ff6ef2879f7ee9f7d98a7a.jpg

IMG_20190720_130920_compress59_resize_19.jpg.b4b46b3fff8f0b18000898b19c231c77.jpg

If that's a B. yatay x Jubaea as well, maybe I am wrong unless Patric got it mixed up?  Seems much less re-curved than regular BxJ, which is good!  I don't find BxJ too appealing so don't have one.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Well they look beautiful, hopefully I can get the same results in my Pacific northwest 8b climate.

Mine is probably from the same batch as maesy's but looks somewhat more delicate/streched and seems to have more twisted fronds.

IMG-20190501-WA0005.thumb.jpg.ad1aefe963f69cf5d7891ce0453c9569.jpgIMG-20190501-WA0004.thumb.jpg.8f893aba3ba018055e6bc0e841b18469.jpgIMG-20190501-WA0007.thumb.jpg.9d7be170b0ee77600a5a2b886a92ca3e.jpg

IMG-20190501-WA0003.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a Jubaea X Yatay with some size to it? Curios what they grow up like VS the Yatay X Jubaea 

• 2 weeks later...

@Ben in Norcal has Patric always used yatay instead of odorata for his jubaea hybrids. Im very curious to the eventual characteristic difference in the 2 different hybrids ? I don't know anyone growing pure Jubaea out here in the ground cause of our cold Wet winters. So these hybrids may be our only chance long term. Plus the added hybrid vigor these palms seem to show definitely is a positive to these hybrids =) 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Ben in Norcal has Patric always used yatay instead of odorata for his jubaea hybrids. Im very curious to the eventual characteristic difference in the 2 different hybrids ? I don't know anyone growing pure Jubaea out here in the ground cause of our cold Wet winters. So these hybrids may be our only chance long term. Plus the added hybrid vigor these palms seem to show definitely is a positive to these hybrids =) 

He has used both in the past. I think, and I could be wrong that the Yatay integration into his Jubaea hybrids is more recent. (Past 5 years or so perhaps???). I seem to recall him saying at some point in our conversations that Yatay isn't as "loosy goosey" as odorata in regards to  hybridizing. 

47 minutes ago, RJ said:

He has used both in the past. I think, and I could be wrong that the Yatay integration into his Jubaea hybrids is more recent. (Past 5 years or so perhaps???). I seem to recall him saying at some point in our conversations that Yatay isn't as "loosy goosey" as odorata in regards to  hybridizing. 

Thanks was just kinda wondering i guess either way ill end up with some to try out. Especially the holy grail JxS :drool:

T J 

• 6 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 3:11 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

@Merlyn2220 Do you think perhaps when you get a chance you can snap a pic of these guys? I'm really just curious how they compare two the ones I have. 

Thanks

RJ

On 2/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, RJ said:

@Merlyn2220 Do you think perhaps when you get a chance you can snap a pic of these guys? I'm really just curious how they compare two the ones I have.

Here's a photo of the three surviving ones.  One of them died around October, all the leaves just dessicated and fell off.  The crown and roots looked fine, so no real idea what killed it.  This is the biggest, a Butia Yatay x Jubaea.  Obviously I haven't weeded my seedlings yet this spring...I'll get around to it!  :D 

P1050763.thumb.JPG.9cdb88c96416016e46fc323bb0c90c16.JPG

Here are the two Jubaea x Butia Yatay, still moving along but a little slower.

P1050762.thumb.JPG.f3915732f289de1410f4816735316933.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Here's a photo of the three surviving ones.  One of them died around October, all the leaves just dessicated and fell off.  The crown and roots looked fine, so no real idea what killed it.  This is the biggest, a Butia Yatay x Jubaea.  Obviously I haven't weeded my seedlings yet this spring...I'll get around to it!  :D 

Here are the two Jubaea x Butia Yatay, still moving along but a little slower.

Thanks for the pics, I appreciate it. I have one BYxJ that is pinnate now and two smaller ones that are a bit smaller then yours. I have a small JxBY that is again a bit smaller then your guys and then a larger one that is fully pinnate now. I planted that up into a 5g last summer. It grows quite well. I would say faster then good old butia for sure.  I lost a small JxBY this fall. I have found that both of these palms when young are a bit of a struggle to keep going. My hunch is they don't like overhead water in our humidity. The roots were excellent on the one that went toes up as well. Once they're bigger they seem to handle overhead water just fine. 

• Like 1

Yeah initially I blamed the addition of Osmocote for the death of the one BYxJ, but I'm not so sure.  It wasn't really thriving that spring.  My whole nursery area gets overhead sprinkling and I keep the "dry" palms like these and Trachys mostly out of range.  I haven't lost but a couple of other seedlings, most of them were bare-rooted for shipment and never really thrived after I received them.  These BYxJ and JxBY seem to be picking up speed now, except for the last 2 months of ambiguous cold.

• 8 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, TonyDFW said:

is it fertile

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a BJxB from Patric...  its a great palm and very hardy. It did have leaf burn below 10f a couple years ago..  i don't water it like I should.. and I don't have any Drip irrigation hooked to it.  Does anyone have a pic of a mature one??   I think I need to move it... before it gets too big.

20201122_162655.jpg

• Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

On 11/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, SailorBold said:

I think I need to move it... before it gets too big.

To me that looks like a great spot for it. Looks like you have plenty of space between the palm and the wall ?

• Upvote 1

T J 

Those Y X J are awesome!  Trying to get ahold of one or two of them myself.  Haven't heard back from Patric but I hear that's the norm.

7 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Haven't heard back from Patric but I hear that's the norm.

Yes that is the norm , dont give up tho =) 

• Like 1

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Yes that is the norm , dont give up tho =) 

He got back to me just now.  Gonna pull the trigger on one of each of these so I can compare.  BUTIA YATAY X JUBAEA and JUBAEA X BUTIA YATAY.