IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growth speed Butia yatay x Jubea vs Jubea x Butia yatay

Love them palms

Just now, Chester B said:

Yeah I don't think Dan is into palms as much as other plants.  I've seen lots of pictures of his garden and they are just the usual palms.

Maybe chamaerops then,   the leaves looked tidier than windmill palm i thought...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chester B said:

I looked up these ones, they were very similar in appearance thanks.

I was growing Joshua trees from seed, but they all eventually faded away after a couple years.

probably a good way to grow them if you have enough time and patience, but they are finicky... the more heat and sun they can receive, the better your odds.  And lots of sandy loose soil drainage in this climate.   

• Like 1

The only reason I don't have cactus pads, oputina is because of slugs, they love to eat them and by spring you got swiss cheese, LOL. I am hoping this drier bed will keep them away.  Can't grow everything I guess. I do have some cactus from H.D. that hate the rain but live on my front porch with no problems at all. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

The only reason I don't have cactus pads, oputina is because of slugs, they love to eat them and by spring you got swiss cheese, LOL. I am hoping this drier bed will keep them away.  Can't grow everything I guess. I do have some cactus from H.D. that hate the rain but live on my front porch with no problems at all. 

I had no idea they would eat them.  Mine were never bothered, but then again I have no slugs in my front yard - too hot and dry.

21 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

probably a good way to grow them if you have enough time and patience, but they are finicky... the more heat and sun they can receive, the better your odds.  And lots of sandy loose soil drainage in this climate.   

Someone gave me the seeds as a gift.  I had them in well draining soil in pots, I can't really say what caused their decline.

9 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Yeah slugs love early growth on cactus, even the spiny ones. Once the pads harden up, they tend to be more slug resistant.  I've had to put slug bait all around mine in early spring to keep new buds from being eaten.  Even contemplated creating a low voltage wiring barrier around the plants to keep slugs off lol.   Drier area may help, and if not a big area, a ring of pelleted slug bait around the periphery, or a tiny ring around each plant, will do the trick (just don't let pets eat it!).  The liquid baits wash away too fast for my taste.  

• Like 1

Just now, Chester B said:

I had no idea they would eat them.  Mine were never bothered, but then again I have no slugs in my front yard - too hot and dry.

Someone gave me the seeds as a gift.  I had them in well draining soil in pots, I can't really say what caused their decline.

Hmm dunno... nutrient issue?  Not enough sun? A little too much water?   Not sure.  Would have loved to see those get big.    :-(

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

Yeah slugs love early growth on cactus, even the spiny ones. Once the pads harden up, they tend to be more slug resistant.  I've had to put slug bait all around mine in early spring to keep new buds from being eaten.  Even contemplated creating a low voltage wiring barrier around the plants to keep slugs off lol.   Drier area may help, and if not a big area, a ring of pelleted slug bait around the periphery, or a tiny ring around each plant, will do the trick (just don't let pets eat it!).  The liquid baits wash away too fast for my taste.  

One word - copper. You can place copper rings around the base. 

copper would have some toxicity properties-- but would it work fast enough to keep slugs off the plants?

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

copper would have some toxicity properties-- but would it work fast enough to keep slugs off the plants?

Copper rings are a natural slug deterrent. It’s an old fashioned way to deter them. When they try to climb over the copper they get zapped due to a mild electrical current from the compounds in their slime. Effective in wet and dry conditions. Non toxic, it’s most commonly used in vegetable gardens. 

• Like 2

Nice, may have to try it.... not sure if i'd use it around food plants, as copper is toxic if leached into the soil and into the plant (not sure how much would actually leach, it may not be an issue,  but it's definitely toxic if ingested).  But for our types of plants, certainly not much harm in trying.... challenge may be to get flexible copper in a form i can use, kinda like rolled zinc strips (used to keep moss off of roofs, because that metal is toxic to moss growth, just like iron).  If i could find thinly rolled copper in thin 3-5 inch widths, that could be fitted around plants with the edge buried in the soil, that would be cool!  Wonder if it still works if it gets a surface tarnish buildup?  Some of my plants are 20 feet in circumference at ground level, so a small loop wouldn't do it.  May be easier for my smaller plants though!

Edited by MarkbVet

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, TonyDFW said:

I received a Yatay x Jubea from Patric in 2015. It has been a fast grower and very cold hardy. It survived a winter low of 13F unprotected.  To me and many others the palm seems to favor the Jubea parent.  Stiff leaves large trunk.  It’s a beautiful palm. Does anyone else have one if these hybrids that ghry can share a pic with?

E0AF10BC-2AE2-4AFC-BBA9-67BB17905EDD.jpeg

D88F699E-21E5-42D4-8034-90D1E9B5939E.jpeg

4F4004D0-4750-45E1-95AB-B7344C5F8C01.jpeg

Did this one survive the 2021 freeze? And if so, did it have any protection? 

32 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Did this one survive the 2021 Texas freeze?

I Believe this one was lost during 3F in 2021, was a beautiful specimen and actually the palm that made me seek this hybrid out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I Believe this one was lost during 3F in 2021, was a beautiful specimen and actually the palm that made me seek this hybrid out.

That freeze was brutal. Worse than anything I've experienced here in NC. I think the worst part of that freeze wasn't even the low nighttime temps but the low high temps for over a week. More than a week below freezing. I'm ok if I have to protect this palm every once in a while but I just don't want it to be an every year thing. 

1 minute ago, knikfar said:

That freeze was brutal. Worse than anything I've experienced here in NC. I think the worst part of that freeze wasn't even the low nighttime temps but the low high temps for over a week. More than a week below freezing. I'm ok if I have to protect this palm every once in a while but I just don't want it to be an every year thing. 

Ya i feel bad for the folks who say they lost 20 years of of palm growing, yikes. I would think that it would probably need protection every winter until at least pretty established. maybe 3-4 years. maybe a pure jubaea might do better in the lower temps, but they are either expensive or wait a lifetime to get to an overhead size. Anything below 8b gets tough. but good luck!!

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Eric33 said:

My Jubaea x Yatay

Did you get that as a strap leaf? I’m 0 for 3 with strap leaf jxb :crying:

On 2/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, knikfar said:

End of 2018 beginning of 2019 was pretty bad for you guys. It was cold here but nothing like you had up that way. 

3 hours ago, RJ said:

My first strap leaf JxB I killed plus my BxJxS and BxLytoWedd. After losing those, I only go big now from Patric. Which honestly is a way better deal with the size that shows up.

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

Jubaea X Yatay early spring.  No winter protection.  So far it just looks like a less recurved Butia.  Hoping it will look nicer after this season.

IMG_20220330_192431.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
added content
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RJ said:

He is on the left

October 21, 2021

IMG_20211021_200644.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RJ said:

End of 2018 beginning of 2019 was pretty bad for you guys. It was cold here but nothing like you had up that way. 

Oh I remember. It was awful. I'm not saying those extreme winter events don't happen here because they obviously do. But getting down to 3f, with a week below freezing, hasn't happened here in recent history, not even in 2018. My point was that I know that will happen at some point and I'm ok with having to protect my palms every so often like that. But this particular variety should be able to survive most winters here in Raleigh without protection. Not all, but most. 

• Like 1

Update on ones received in December that were only 3 strap leaves yatay x jubaea first pinnate frond, and Jubaea x yatay just splitting leaves now. 

6EFC6042-912B-4F6A-90AA-9F86FA0DFBA9.jpeg

014463EF-E779-4F5A-8AF2-7502B9F158DB.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

Uggg... I have no idea why I have zero luck with these as strap leaves. Kudos to you guys who have gotten them to grow. :greenthumb: I've had no issues with BxJ.

• 2 months later...

Another update on yatay x jub and Jub x yatay. For me The yatay x is faster, taller, longer and bigger gaps between leaflets, and blueish. Jub x yatay is very green, robust, harder leafs, with tighter growth. Both looking good still. 

9717E4DF-EE0B-4DD4-9E82-71D258F1EB85.png

17A7BC98-BE9C-411D-8210-8290915095F6.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Another update on yatay x jub and Jub x yatay. For me The yatay x is faster, taller, longer and bigger gaps between leaflets, and blueish. Jub x yatay is very green, robust, harder leafs, with tighter growth. Both looking good still. 

I'll try and get out there and snap some photos.

I have both a Jub x yatay and yatay x Jub.  The yatay x Jub is also a bit faster for me, but I'm seeing the opposite as far as form.  My Jub x yatay is the blueish one, has larger gaps and longer leaflets.  The yatay x Jub is green and stout, with tighter growth and smaller stiffer leaves.  

They were both grown in pots next to each other until they were recently planted in the ground.  

• Like 1

Jubxyatay def greener for me, pictured is a young yatayxjub definitely a blueish tinge , but I have a larger one from a different batch that isn’t so blue. Leaflets of jubxyatay are shorter and tighter on mine as noted by nwpalms. 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RJ said:

Jubxyatay def greener for me, pictured is a young yatayxjub definitely a blueish tinge , but I have a larger one from a different batch that isn’t so blue. Leaflets of jubxyatay are shorter and tighter on mine as noted by nwpalms. 

image.jpg

The Butia at Lowes in CS are blue. Which I would spend $89 for a 3/5 gallon regardless of a 50% increase.  Either way, slightly blue butia are somewhat common and maybe more cold hardy, So id expect the possibility that BxJ some could carry over that trait more likely than a jxB.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

The Butia at Lowes in CS are blue. Which I would spend $89 for a 3/5 gallon regardless of a 50% increase.  Either way, slightly blue butia are somewhat common and maybe more cold hardy, So id expect the possibility that BxJ some could carry over that trait more likely than a jxB.

My yatay is quite silver in color. Regardless, at this stage both crosses are excellent imo. 

Heres this mornings side by side. These were both 3 strap leaf seedlings maybe 8” tall last Christmas when received. Seems the yatay x is and will outpace the jubaea x… which would make sense. But both are gaining size nicely. Will raise them up to 15g then plant. 

My J X BY spear pulled in May.  Just too wet for too long.  Terrible winter and spring.   My BY X J is unfazed other than it lost all the blue color.  The blue is slowly coming back as the weather warms up.  I also have two J X odorata that spear pulled, but even half my small trachycarpus spear pulled, so you know it was a bad winter/spring.

• Like 1

@NWpalms@206 just an FYI, my BYxJ and JxBY strap leaves grew about 10x faster in the ground rather than in the pot.  If they are big enough to survive in the ground outdoors (even with protection) then it might be a lot faster in the ground.  I planted a JxBY in November 2020 from a small 1g, and kept the other in a 1g in my nursery area.  The one in the pot is still the same size 1.5 years later, and it just double-spear pulled.  The one in the ground looks like this...

115386022_P1090516JubaeaxButia060322.thumb.JPG.c1f8f57661b6c07fd5b3bc9782037a1c.JPG

It's easily 6' diameter and around 3-4' tall.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Merlyn said:

@NWpalms@206 just an FYI, my BYxJ and JxBY strap leaves grew about 10x faster in the ground rather than in the pot.  If they are big enough to survive in the ground outdoors (even with protection) then it might be a lot faster in the ground. 

Mine grew faster in pots.  I should have kept them in pots for at least two years.  They haven't moved very much since I planted them in the ground about a year ago. and one of them spear pulled so it looks even worse.

Upon arrival and potting in a one gallon pot:  12/5/2020:

hybrids.jpg.626d0b873cdef94c27ec3176417679ec.jpg

Winter growth six weeks later, 5 gallon pot:

hybrids6.jpg.5f71c5d303ad28c19c521a9a43feb82c.jpg

• Like 1

Guess I've been successful (read: lucky) with my J x BY.

Purchased as a liner a year ago. A few strap leaves and that was it. Put in the ground immediately. Has been going strong ever since! 

J xY.JPG

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Swolte said:

Purchased as a liner a year ago. A few strap leaves and that was it. Put in the ground immediately. Has been going strong ever since! 

J xY.JPG

The JxB? Planted on the Riverwalk was planted for the Worlds Fair in 1968. As far as I have heard its never flowered. I think this put things into prospective for me now while I start Yard 2.0, and middle age. Mine was just starting to get a nice trunk in 2021 Rip. But it was pretty dang hardy to still have some green fronds after 4F. Its just that the bud froze.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, Swolte said:

Is this the same palm from the other thread what a jump in size if so ? 

T J 

T J 

32 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Is this the same palm from the other thread what a jump in size if so ? 

No, that is a different one. That should be a J x BY (from Patrick, also). It also does pretty well with the heat though growth has slowed. I attached a recent pic but it disappears a bit in front of that giant mistflower (for now...). 

The larger one in the other picture (see another, attached) was 5-7 years old when I got it in 2020 but it was from a different batch of hybrids he was working on. He told me that he lost any documentation on it so he wasn't sure if it was a Yatay hybrid (I wanted a Yatay). He said it might also be different butia's B x J he was experimenting with so I decided to take my chances. During planting,  I actually found a tag dangling from some inner petiole that read "B x  J or (B x J) x J." My hunch is the latter given the strong curvature of the leaves. 

Growth stats on this one (BJ or (BJ)xB) are (height/Trunk diameter, measured in January):
2021 - 27"    6"  
2022 - 36"    7"
2023 - 46"    9"

Note that this palm receives zero care and the past few years has gone through record breaking conditions of palm torture.  

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

Edited by Swolte
Updated pic and tag info
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...