IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growth speed Butia yatay x Jubea vs Jubea x Butia yatay

Love them palms

6 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

He got back to me just now.  Gonna pull the trigger on one of each of these so I can compare.  BUTIA YATAY X JUBAEA and JUBAEA X Butia Yatay

those are good picks , did he have any JxS available? 

T J 

6 minutes ago, TonyDFW said:

1E50FB9A-4F96-4962-B446-FBFBA5E6721C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TonyDFW said:

For comparison here is my 15 year old pure Jubea in Dallas

58506423-7F5B-4EF6-B16D-9679B1F993CD.jpeg

Super jealous of both these palms, absolutely gorgeous :greenthumb:

And solid growth on that hybrid

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 10:13 PM, TonyDFW said:

1E50FB9A-4F96-4962-B446-FBFBA5E6721C.jpeg

Any signs of life on this guy?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Just for records, mine had no damage except to the spear in Houston. Guess we hit 14. B. yatay x Jubaea. The spear eventually pulled, but it is pushing out a new disfigured leaf.

My pure Butia yatay did the same thing but still hasn't put out a new leaf.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

really gorgeous exceptionally beautiful!  Nice growth, I'm looking for some if anyone knows where I can find some as well as jub x syagrus or syagrus x jub thank you

• 8 months later...
On 5/18/2019 at 5:14 PM, Love them palms said:

15582248309108565023265026844615.jpg

Yours looking like this now? Got my BxPJS from Patrick today 8x8x12” pot rooting out of the bottom ready to go in ground maybe same batch…Over 4ft Long and lanky. And also JxB. How are yours doing now?

B9D7FBC3-88E1-4168-8140-7658CDFC54A3.jpeg

B177242A-12B7-44D7-9063-4E15D905F91D.jpeg

1AE0F2CA-1E9E-454B-8283-47BBE0028099.jpeg

BC4DC4E5-B86F-475C-9B57-A5704596A2D4.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Yours looking like this now? Got my BxPJS from Patrick today 8x8x12” pot rooting out of the bottom ready to go in ground maybe same batch…Over 4ft Long and lanky. And also JxB. How are yours doing now?

no I actually lost it. one of my dogs got it.

but I did get a Parajubea x Butia /Jubaea it covered right now but it was looking healthy. hope it still is

I hate that.  I could make a list of plants my puppy has decided should not exist.  Including a couple hard-to-finds from Floribunda.  

1 minute ago, Jesse PNW said:

I hate that.  I could make a list of plants my puppy has decided should not exist.  Including a couple hard-to-finds from Floribunda.  

yup I got a greenhouse after that.no more violent palm deaths:D

Glad I’m not the only one, had a nice butia that may be a hybrid I got from a guy on Craigslist and one of my Takil chewed by my dog . Left pretty much only the spear so they’re recovering ok but it was genuinely upsetting when it happened I was about ready to drop the dog at the kennel! J/k but she isnt Coming near them again! 

A few palms, that’s nothing. My dog would chew the house - literally, plus the deck, outside stairs, trees and plants, rocks, Christmas lights, etc. Couldn’t even leave him outside unattended. Inside was just as bad. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chester B said:

A few palms, that’s nothing. My dog would chew the house - literally, plus the deck, outside stairs, trees and plants, rocks, Christmas lights, etc. Couldn’t even leave him outside unattended. Inside was just as bad. 

Yikes! 

@Chester B Did he grow out of it?  We've always provided lots of chew toys for my German Shepherd but it's like she does it out of spite when we're gone.  She's 6 months old or so, and I think almost full size - big enough to cause some real damage but she doesn't realize it yet.  She thinks she's still a lap dog. 

We started putting her in a kennel when we're gone and it has solved 90% of the chewing problem, but I don't want to keep putting her in the kennel forever.  

@TonyDFW I know that post was almost a year ago but I have to say that Yatay x Jubaea is simply incredible!  The Jubaea is gorgeous and massive, but that hybrid just has a "Wow" factor, it really pops. 

@Jesse PNW we used to crate him but he would break them open. Then we bought an actual kennel stall with 1/2” bars and installed it in our basement. He bent the bars and escaped - no exaggeration. We would come home to him and find blood and destroyed things. The last time we had him caged we were worried he broke his nose. It was terribly swollen and to this day he has a white patch of hair that grows over the scar. Indestructible chew toys would last 15-20 minutes and then we’d return them for their money back guarantee, but you can only do that so many times. Supposedly he’s 3/4 Rottweiler and 1/4 German Shepherd but I think he’s really 50/50. You can see the shepherd tendencies are strong in him, whereas we wanted and thought we were getting a predominately Rottweiler. I was happy that he was slightly mixed because you get better insurance rates. I know some people may disagree with me but never ever will I get a dog with any shepherd in it whatsoever. we were looking for a mellow low energy dog and all we got was a extremely high energy, highly intelligent 100+ pound dog. It’s not a great combo. For Reference our other two dogs were/are a labrador and a labrador/Bernese mix.  Both very mellow and sweet. At least you got a female, they’re not nearly as stupid and hocked up on testosterone. I could write a novel but I digress.  He finally grew out of it after 5 years - yes 5 years.  At least he respects me now but loves to growl at my wife a few times a day. 

Palms are so much easier.  

Bonus shot of the monster dog as a puppy. He’s wearing the bandana because he somehow gave himself an 9” gash on his chest.If you look you’ll see a nice CIDP in the background. This was back when I lived in Canada. The palm Lived poolside six months of the year. The other six months it was an indoor plant. It did very well actually and ended up getting so big I had a hard time moving it in and out. 

2359F82C-4BFB-481D-8D8E-7EB0C7323011.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 5:11 PM, Love them palms said:

no I actually lost it. one of my dogs got it.

but I did get a Parajubea x Butia /Jubaea it covered right now but it was looking healthy. hope it still is

Did the yatay x jubaea or jubaea x yatay make it? Love to see how those are looking now, as well as the Parajubaea x butia/jubaea after all this weather. I’m bummed that’s not available anymore! 

10 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Did the yatay x jubaea or jubaea x yatay make it? Love to see how those are looking now, as well as the Parajubaea x butia/jubaea after all this weather. I’m bummed that’s not available anymore! 

I,m sure they did. will be checking on them soon, I will post pics here and FB

1 hour ago, Love them palms said:

I,m sure they did. will be checking on them soon, I will post pics here and FB

I meant from the dogs! But sounds like that’s a yes, now just survive this weather which I’m sure they will. Pics always appreciated, just curious what to expect for growth rate of the two. Mainly BYxJ. Got a 5 gal jxb from Patrick so I can see what that’s done in 3-5 yrs growth. But my 2 Yatay x  jub are strap leaf like when you got yours. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 4/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, Collectorpalms said:

cute babies!

Edited by MarkbVet

On 4/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, Collectorpalms said:

On 12/29/2021 at 5:04 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

Very nice plants!  Can u tell me your source?  Many thanks, and happy growing in this upcoming new year!  

Edited by MarkbVet

Very nice plants!  Can u tell me your source?  Many thanks, and happy growing in this upcoming new year!

14 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

You too! These both, and 2 B. Yatay x jubaea, a B x Parajubaea Torallyi, and a (B x J) x Q were all from Patrick Schafer. 

3 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Thanks!  I want me some Butia X Jubaea hybrids!   Does Patrick sell on ebay or etsy etc?  

I’m not sure. I contacted him through email, which I received on this forum so I suppose no harm sharing again, coolhybrids@yahoo.com. This was the last list I received and the Jubaea x yatay is gone (although a 5gal did come up later) but I got 2 Yatay x jubaea, and a few others no problem. Small strap leaf size. I was polite and to the point, and he was responsive and a pleasure honestly. Others have said he’s difficult or won’t respond but I had a completely different experience. Can’t wait to order more in the spring.  Ive seen Phil at junglemusic.com also has some according to the current price/availability list. 

22E30B81-35B2-4E90-866F-B4477D990D2B.png

6C486325-B6E3-4169-A000-259D276E12AF.png

I do see though Phil is priced at 15gal smallest for Jubaea x butia and no butia x jubaea . So probably add 150-200 freight shipping unfortunately.   

14 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I’m not sure. I contacted him through email, which I received on this forum so I suppose no harm sharing again, coolhybrids@yahoo.com. This was the last list I received and the Jubaea x yatay is gone (although a 5gal did come up later) but I got 2 Yatay x jubaea, and a few others no problem. Small strap leaf size. I was polite and to the point, and he was responsive and a pleasure honestly. Others have said he’s difficult or won’t respond but I had a completely different experience. Can’t wait to order more in the spring.  Ive seen Phil at junglemusic.com also has some according to the current price/availability list. 

22E30B81-35B2-4E90-866F-B4477D990D2B.png

6C486325-B6E3-4169-A000-259D276E12AF.png

Thanks muchly!  Yes I've been looking at Jungle Music, some good stuff there!  Just got a 5 gallon Trithrinax campestris from them, in the mail as we speak.   Patrick sounds like a great resource too... thanks for the email contact, it matches what i was able to dig up from a year ago, glad it's still the same.  Any opinions on the cold hardiness of B. yatay compared to odorata or eriospatha?   And how about the differences/similarities between the 2 hybrids:  BxJ versus JxB?  Any diffs in hardiness or appearance that you are aware of?   happy new year!   M

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

Not sure what hybrid you are referring to maybe the Jubaeax Butia. No the meristem died. The leaves remained mostly green. Had I wrappped it really well, it might have pulled through. But it was my hardiest of pinnate palms, so I left it to the wolfs.

I also would only buy hybrids through Patric Patrik or Patrix, ;)

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

11 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Thanks muchly!  Yes I've been looking at Jungle Music, some good stuff there!  Just got a 5 gallon Trithrinax campestris from them, in the mail as we speak.   Patrick sounds like a great resource too... thanks for the email contact, it matches what i was able to dig up from a year ago, glad it's still the same.  Any opinions on the cold hardiness of B. yatay compared to odorata or eriospatha?   And how about the differences/similarities between the 2 hybrids:  BxJ versus JxB?  Any diffs in hardiness or appearance that you are aware of?   happy new year!   M

From what I’ve read (no personal experience) the yatay is a taller slightly more elegant and possibly less cold hardy but wouldn’t be by much I’d imagine. I think they say eriospatha and odorata are the most hardy. And as far as the difference in bxj or jxb i think they generally lean toward the mother (the first) so theoretically jxb would resemble the jubaea and vise versus. I do know that my 5gal jxb is jubaea dominant but I’ve only seen picture of the bxj and they seem to have maybe a bit more recurve and V to the fronds. But this is all from doing research, a lot of it. Not Growing them, others may have more knowledge. I’m following the couple jubae hybrid threads too see for myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Not sure what hybrid you are referring to maybe the Jubaeax Butia. No the meristem died. The leaves remained mostly green. Had I wrappped it really well, it might have pulled through. But it was my hardiest of pinnate palms, so I left it to the wolfs.

I also would only buy hybrids through Patric Patrik or Patrix, ;)

Yes Jubaea x butia, or the reverse hybrid.   Any thoughts on pluses/minuses of each?  and relative hardiness of B. odorata vs eriospathy vs yatay? 

2 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Yes Jubaea x butia, or the reverse hybrid.   Any thoughts on pluses/minuses of each?  and relative hardiness of B. odorata vs eriospathy vs yatay? 

I just couldnt see much difference in a butia x Jubaea vrs Butia. For us the Jubaea, is the option we cant grow because of the humidity they do not do well in. So Jubaea x Butia is Preferred and does look different.  Jubaea x Queen, and Jubea x Parajubaea.

Also I think Butia Eriospatha is hardier than the common Butia from Feb 2021 Not sure about Yatay, its probably as hardy almost. If at a box store nursery I would pick a more silver butia over a green one. Silver plants seems to do better in heat, drought, and cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

From what I’ve read (no personal experience) the yatay is a taller slightly more elegant and possibly less cold hardy but wouldn’t be by much I’d imagine. I think they say eriospatha and odorata are the most hardy. And as far as the difference in bxj or jxb i think they generally lean toward the mother (the first) so theoretically jxb would resemble the jubaea and vise versus. I do know that my 5gal jxb is jubaea dominant but I’ve only seen picture of the bxj and they seem to have maybe a bit more recurve and V to the fronds. But this is all from doing research, a lot of it. Not Growing them, others may have more knowledge. I’m following the couple jubae hybrid threads too see for myself. 

Yes pure B. yatay is a bigger palm, supposedly faster growing too... seems to get rated as zone 8 often, but it also seems the other 2 species are considered the most hardy by many.  Would love to see an eriospatha-Jubaea hybrid (rarepalmseeds has it i think, but only as seeds).   And the seed donor would contribute more traits, so what you say makes sense.  I suspect B. yatay is used in the Jubaea hybrid mixes due to its larger/faster growth, as Jubaea grows slowly.  The post on here (see above) showed that lovely B. yatay-Jubaea hybrid that had grown markedly in just 4 years, close in size to the 15 year old pure Jubaea the guy also had.   I want one!  May protect it a bit in the Portland area, but hopeful that I can grow it unprotected in So. Oregon.  

Edited by MarkbVet

3 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I just couldnt see much difference in a butia x Jubaea vrs Butia. For us the Jubaea, is the option we cant grow because of the humidity they do not do well in. So Jubaea x Butia is Preferred and does look different.  Jubaea x Queen, and Jubea x Parajubaea.

Also I think Butia Eriospatha is hardier than the common Butia from Feb 2021 Not sure about Yatay, its probably as hardy almost. If at a box store nursery I would pick a more silver butia over a green one. Silver plants seems to do better in heat, drought, and cold.

thanks much!  Guess I'll look for a JxB rather than the other way around; sounds like Patrick is out of these at the moment.  Something for next spring or summer....  I've  spent enough $ already this winter anyway lol, and have the T. campestris on the way.   Hope your plants stay healthy!!  Sorry to hear your

J x B  hybrid died.

Edited by MarkbVet

6 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Any thoughts on Jubaea X Parajubaea cold hardiness (and any diffs in which Parajubaea species is used?) 

I don't think anyone has great data on JxPJ or BxPJ cold tolerance yet.  There's a report on here of a BxPJC (Dick's) that survived 15, but that's Cali freeze data which must be taken with a grain of salt.

My Butia yatay and Butia yatay x Jubaea survived the Texas 2021 winter freeze in Houston with only passive protection. Both spear pulled but grew out and had no other leaf damage. The Butia yatay has put out several leaves whereas the BxJ only put out a stunted leaf.

Most BxJ just look like a beefy Butia, but Butia yatay x Jubaea truly looks like a Jubaea. Beautiful hybrids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, necturus said:

I don't think anyone has great data on JxPJ or BxPJ cold tolerance yet.  There's a report on here of a BxPJC (Dick's) that survived 15, but that's Cali freeze data which must be taken with a grain of salt.

My Butia yatay and Butia yatay x Jubaea survived the Texas 2021 winter freeze in Houston with only passive protection. Both spear pulled but grew out and had no other leaf damage. The Butia yatay has put out several leaves whereas the BxJ only put out a stunted leaf.

Most BxJ just look like a beefy Butia, but Butia yatay x Jubaea truly looks like a Jubaea. Beautiful hybrids.

That’s good to hear I prefer the jubaea look, and was hoping the BYxJ wasn’t to butia dominant. I think the goal behind these was a jubaea looking palm with hybrid vigor growth speed. The yatay and jubaea cross in either direction is looking like a real nice combination. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 6:08 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Ben in Norcal has Patric always used yatay instead of odorata for his jubaea hybrids. Im very curious to the eventual characteristic difference in the 2 different hybrids ? I don't know anyone growing pure Jubaea out here in the ground cause of our cold Wet winters. So these hybrids may be our only chance long term. Plus the added hybrid vigor these palms seem to show definitely is a positive to these hybrids =) 

There are people in the Pacific NW growing pure Jubaea in the ground, reporting no trouble with our heavy cold winter rain (zone 8)...but I wonder if high humidity in summer (at your area) may play a role??