IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Purple King Seeds

NatureGirl

Got a few hundred super fresh Purple King Palm Seeds available. Easy to sprout, fast growing. .30 each (20 seeds minimum)$25/100 Shipping determined by weight. & zone, but usually $4-$6 for US first class.

Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com

44499C84-A0E1-425C-BE15-52D5D293D1F5.jpeg

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Archontophoenix pururea does not self seed in South FL.  Your seeds are prob crossed with another Archontophoenix.  I know from experience, i have 50 A. Purpurea likely crossed with A. alexandrea grown from seed that are now 25gal size.  Same story with A. purpurea seed collected in CA.  

My friend has 2 mature purple kings side by side. But still never heard what you are saying there. I’ve grown many of these seeds over the yrs and they look right to me.

D464269D-1944-4ACC-AF1F-AF80B4B877F0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Would be interesting to see the size of the seeds next to a rule, and also cleaned example for comparison with wild collected seeds, you might. Have an interesting hybrid there. 

Yes, seeds are definitely much, much,  larger than any other King palm seeds I have seen/grown,  I guess time will tell. These are all gone by the way.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nature girl, can you post pics of your seeds next to a ruler?  And have you grown a batch of second generation up to trunking size here in FL? I have.  All seeds must come from habitat.  They do not self in FL or CA.  Maybe only Hawaii and habitat.  I've been growing them for 16 years in two states.  Not trying to be a buzz kill ... Just giving you a heads up because my 2nd gen seeds let me down, as did other growers on East coast and the seasoned nurserymen there will tell you the same thing

42 minutes ago, JD in the OC said:

Nature girl, can you post pics of your seeds next to a ruler?  And have you grown a batch of second generation up to trunking size here in FL? I have.  All seeds must come from habitat.  They do not self in FL or CA.  Maybe only Hawaii and habitat.  I've been growing them for 16 years in two states.  Not trying to be a buzz kill ... Just giving you a heads up because my 2nd gen seeds let me down, as did other growers on East coast and the seasoned nurserymen there will tell you the same thing

What do they turn into?  Hybrids?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

5 hours ago, JD in the OC said:

Purple kings seed here.  I have some 1 gallon plants, that I germinated a few years ago, from a local tree.  In the past, I’ve germinated from other, local trees.  Big seeds like you say.  I suppose it’s possible that they’re crossed with another Archontophoenix, but I’ve never heard that theory before.   I haven’t grown any to trunking size, but the seedlings have a purple tinge, and silver undersides.

Edited by The Steve

10 hours ago, JD in the OC said:

I planted some to find out for myself. And no, I've always sold them at 3 gal size, and don't think any one has a mature one from these seeds yet.  So I'm quite interested to know.

Just dug up one.  Anyone who bought these and feels like they could be hybrids (I'm now wondering myself) can get a refund or credit if they like. No worries at all.

45D21F15-8BA3-4214-9712-EE9C595EE31E.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a purple that I germinated from your seeds and it's probably 3 or 4 years old. It's tucked away, I'll take a look at it and see if it's showing any color yet.  I recall the seeds were like those in your image above, very large compared to all other Archonotophoenix I've germinated.  

Dear Nature Girl,

I would like to order 100 A. purpurea seeds if you still have them.   I have been looking for them for the past year.  Please, let me know the total and I will send payment.   I got the H. indica last month and already starting to germinate.

William

As Charlene says, these are very, very, likely hybrids.  We did a seed size comparison with pure purple kings I got from Justin in Q'ld.  Charlene's seeds are significantly larger than all other king species, but significantly smaller and consistently so than the pure purple kings from Justin.  I am happily germinating them and can't wait to see how they turn out, even so!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

11 hours ago, mfpalms said:

Dear Nature Girl,

I would like to order 100 A. purpurea seeds if you still have them.   I have been looking for them for the past year.  Please, let me know the total and I will send payment.   I got the H. indica last month and already starting to germinate.

William

8 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

As Charlene says, these are very, very, likely hybrids.  We did a seed size comparison with pure purple kings I got from Justin in Q'ld.  Charlene's seeds are significantly larger than all other king species, but significantly smaller and consistently so than the pure purple kings from Justin.  I am happily germinating them and can't wait to see how they turn out, even so!

William, I sold all the seeds and ditto what Ben said. ;) 

On 6/28/2019 at 4:48 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

Resulted seedlings from Humphrey's seeds. I wish you good luck with germination and further cultivation. They are surely tricky.

20190627_204040.thumb.jpg.8f29b8319d580e80952681ba8f1b6f30.jpg20190627_204046.thumb.jpg.57d058d73901878b15e90c5329682f60.jpg

Got around to taking some photos of the palm.  I have no idea when these show color but it does seem to be showing something as each older front falls away. Underside of the palms leaves are white with a hint of tiny ramenta

IMG_9660-e1562099051217.jpg

IMG_9663-e1562099024790.jpg

IMG_9661-e1562099035173.jpg

Thanks Bob for posting pics. That's very encouraging news! Also, happy B'day ystdy (it was my Son's B'day also). 

11 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Mine are starting to pop—looking forward to seeing what they become!

Thanks Matt!

These are 2nd gen hybrids grown from seed off a mother plant on Fort Myers Beach.  Seed is same size as pure purpurea.  

E7BBD00D-322C-43E3-B76B-BB12ABF31FB8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Container full of Purple king seedlings for sale., (Could be Hybrids). Either way, it’s hard to count how many, but I believe about 80. Will bare root and pack in moist spaghum. $50 plus shipping.   Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com

0F61E00F-58DF-4CDB-BA62-1B70018EC08B.jpeg

96A1B5F2-3F63-4D96-8B49-A829003A0A9F.jpeg

• 5 months later...

I’m thinking this looks purple to me....what do you guys think?

F24CF42F-0463-4525-B95F-03E6C6093911.jpeg

69F45313-A971-4A02-83B8-C35D074547B6.jpeg

If I recall correctly, my seedlings (not nearly as big), already have a silver sheen to the underside of the leaves. Do yours?

Josh germinated a lot of purpurea seeds off Gary Levine's trees.  The palms are good sized 5 gal plants.  They sure look like purpureas to me.  Already started showing purple crownshaft.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

15 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

If I recall correctly, my seedlings (not nearly as big), already have a silver sheen to the underside of the leaves. Do yours?

Silver, whitish, yes.

I guess time will tell......

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2019 at 6:55 AM, NatureGirl said:

I planted some to find out for myself. And no, I've always sold them at 3 gal size, and don't think any one has a mature one from these seeds yet.  So I'm quite interested to know.

Charlene,

I picked up 2 seedlings from you a few years ago.  They have been slow for me, however I haven't been the best with fertilizer.  One of them seems to be showing some shade of purple.  I thought I was gambling putting one of them in partial shade about 6 months ago, but seems to be doing great.  Younger purpurea that I tried in partial shade didnt do well at all

20200502_073635.jpg

20200502_073646.jpg

20200502_073431.jpg

20200502_073442.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice Eric! They don’t like full sun much in FL especially when young, but later on they can take it ok. I made the mistake of planting one gal size in full sun At my parents house. They died quickly. Best time to look for Purple color is right after an old leaf base falls away. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Charlene....made that mistake with a few I had before I bought them from you....learned my lesson. 

Off topic... do you have any Dypsis Rosea?  I can get them somewhere else, but the order has to be larger....

• 5 months later...

Update of my purple king which germinated from seeds you sold me about 5 years ago.  Darker shades of purple appearing after every old frond falls. 

Super happy I didn't chop it down. I have too many kings in my yard, and if this wasn't going to show, I was going to remove and plant something else.

purple_king.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Awesome! That is totally Purple, I appreciate the feedback! It makes me feel better. Thanks