IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana var santa catarina in pnw?

Trustandi

2 hours ago, RJ said:

Can we pay for a SC queen or two now and then ship in the spring?

Sure, no problem. We're kicking off Spring pre-order on Saturday.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, matthedlund said:

I’m going to forward this to another member that messaged me about the parrot mule. They’ll likely contact you to buy now ship later to AZ as I mentioned before. Nice to see people and palms getting connected! 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, matthedlund said:

so I decided to do a little damage check on the jubutia x schizophylla. looks ok with just frost cloth. guess I won't really know what damage till growing season 

20211229_151237.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Would love to try Santa Catarina but unfortunately being in Canada limits my access to these rare exotics.  Will follow you all who have it in the PNW regarding hardiness.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

@matthedlund any other interesting palms that will be available?

I'll have to do a lot of editing on the website, but everything will be listed for sale directly on www.wanderlustnursery.com as early as Saturday. We'll have Butia odorata, Jubaea chilensis, Trachycarpus fortunei, Trithrinax campestris, Syagrus cardenasii, Syagrus ruschiana, Syagrus rom. 'Santa Catarina', Chameadorea microspadix, Chameadorea radicalis, Copernicia alba, Jubutia x Syagrus schizophylla, and Jubutia x Syagrus rom. We might have a few other odds and ends.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@matthedlund You've expanded your inventory a lot!  I still want to make it up there some day. 

How on earth do you come across these rare species like the Syagrus?

I ask around! 

1 hour ago, matthedlund said:

I'll have to do a lot of editing on the website, but everything will be listed for sale directly on www.wanderlustnursery.com as early as Saturday. We'll have Butia odorata, Jubaea chilensis, Trachycarpus fortunei, Trithrinax campestris, Syagrus cardenasii, Syagrus ruschiana, Syagrus rom. 'Santa Catarina', Chameadorea microspadix, Chameadorea radicalis, Copernicia alba, Jubutia x Syagrus schizophylla, and Jubutia x Syagrus rom. We might have a few other odds and ends.

There’s a few on my wishlist there. I’ll look for the updates to the website this weekend. Thanks!

@matthedlund open up a Canadian division for us suckers north of the border???:rolleyes:

That’s a very nice list you got there, wish I could get my hands on some of those. 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

2 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

@matthedlund open up a Canadian division for us suckers north of the border???:rolleyes:

That’s a very nice list you got there, wish I could get my hands on some of those. 

Might be worth a drive now that the border is open. 

35 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Might be worth a drive now that the border is open. 

2 ferry tickets, negative Covid tests, and a phyto… sounds like an expensive trip even before buying the plants! 

Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

@ShadyDan the island is my plan B, perhaps for retirement. You may find this odd but I did work for Nanaimo and flew into Vancouver instead of Victoria just so I could ride the ferry. If I’m ever up your way I’ll make sure I bring some extras along with me to hook you up.

34 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@ShadyDan the island is my plan B, perhaps for retirement. You may find this odd but I did work for Nanaimo and flew into Vancouver instead of Victoria just so I could ride the ferry. If I’m ever up your way I’ll make sure I bring some extras along with me to hook you up.

Haha it’s fun for a bit, but when you’ve been on those boats 100s of times (and had delays / cancelled sailings) it’s gets a little old. 

That’s awesome! My companies regional office is actually in Vancouver Washington, I’ll be sure to hit you up if I ever get to travel down there again for work. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Haha it’s fun for a bit, but when you’ve been on those boats 100s of times (and had delays / cancelled sailings) it’s gets a little old. 

That’s awesome! My companies regional office is actually in Vancouver Washington, I’ll be sure to hit you up if I ever get to travel down there again for work. 

For sure I’m just down road. 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, Love them palms said:

so I decided to do a little damage check on the jubutia x schizophylla. looks ok with just frost cloth. guess I won't really know what damage till growing season 

20211229_151237.jpg

Looking good so far, how cold was your lowest temp this winter?

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, Love them palms said:

20211229_151237.jpg

Also How long has that been planted in ground? I have one still in 5gal and can definitely see some size difference. Mines still a string bean, this is thickening up Nicely. 

image.jpg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

Or Possibly hybrid variation? appears that one could have more jubutia traits maybe mine more queen? Or just different vigor and appearance… figure hybrids are like kids, same two parents can get many different looks and sizes. All just fine and healthy but different. That’s why it’s so nice to see others who have these more rare crosses to compare. Thanks for sharing! Was bit skeptical of this one but it’s becoming a favorite. 

Couple mule spears pulled today, lame. But it wasn’t all bad, new spear poking out of one of my Santa Catarina Queens. And got a half dozen Arbutus Menziessi (Pacific Madrona) seedlings for one of my big rounds for a chopping block to the firewood guys. I know they’re not palms but I needed these for future overhead cover, and that’s a Deal! Big Madronas are beautiful along with eucalyptus great tropical looking cover for those palms. 

82ED17E5-6AF3-4A77-B5C8-8B3263C6E954.jpeg

7246B10E-A671-4E7F-A7B5-6D2005AB44E3.jpeg

• Like 1

Love me some madrones. I have two growing, both taller than me. Plus I harvested a whack load of seeds for spreading around the neighborhood. Apparently my area had more oaks and I suppose madrones originally. They’re even killing off the spruce and Doug fir across from me so the oaks can regenerate.  

I grew a handful of Arby's from seed last year.  Even after a year they're only a couple inches tall, I hope they pick up speed.  Beautiful trees, colorful bark, evergreen, lots of character.  I also grew some oaks from locally acquired acorns and they're as tall as 24" now.  Didn't know oaks would grow that fast.  I collected more Arbutus berries this year, need to sew.  I don't know why it's almost impossible to source local plants, without propagating them yourself.  You can't buy Arbutus or Doug fir anywhere around here.  I only know of one place to buy Mahonia aquifolium.  At least Polystichum munitum/Western Sword Fern is stocked by the Big Box Stores, sometimes.  The PNW is home to some great flora and it's a shame that no one seems to care.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I grew a handful of Arby's from seed last year.  Even after a year they're only a couple inches tall, I hope they pick up speed.  Beautiful trees, colorful bark, evergreen, lots of character.  I also grew some oaks from locally acquired acorns and they're as tall as 24" now.  Didn't know oaks would grow that fast.  I collected more Arbutus berries this year, need to sew.  I don't know why it's almost impossible to source local plants, without propagating them yourself.  You can't buy Arbutus or Doug fir anywhere around here.  I only know of one place to buy Mahonia aquifolium.  At least Polystichum munitum/Western Sword Fern is stocked by the Big Box Stores, sometimes.  The PNW is home to some great flora and it's a shame that no one seems to care.   

The reason why it’s so hard to find Madrone trees at the nursery is that they are extremely root sensitive. They do not transplant well at all. Plus they need very exact requirements that not many people are aware of. It’s not the most nursery center friendly plant for making money.  The nurseries around me do carry them but you can only buy them in very small sizes.  Any sort of medium size ones would not transplant and probably die. Them and eucalyptus are the two trees that are only worth buying at a very small seedling size. Anything beyond that is a waste of money. Don’t worry once you plant them within a year they start to takeoff. I found they grow much faster than what you read. Mine have been in the ground three years and are probably 9 feet tall maybe more.

I collected a whole bunch of seed from trees near the hospital. I plan on spreading more around in my local area as well as germinating a few for myself. They really are great trees. And going forward their capacity to handle heat and drought make them ideal trees for our climate.

You should probably consider planting them in the spring I wouldn’t wait any longer. And remember when you plant them do not disturb the roots. Fast draining soil and no water in summer or you will kill them.

Our local nurseries all have a native plants section. And there are even nurseries that specialize in primarily native plants so getting these in our area is not an issue. One of my favorites is the giant pacific chain fern those things grow so fast they’re like a tree fern without a trunk.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chester B said:

The reason why it’s so hard to find Madrone trees at the nursery is that they are extremely root sensitive. They do not transplant well at all. Plus they need very exact requirements that not many people are aware of. It’s not the most nursery center friendly plant for making money.  The nurseries around me do carry them but you can only buy them in very small sizes.  Any sort of medium size ones would not transplant and probably die. Them and eucalyptus are the two trees that are only worth buying at a very small seedling size. Anything beyond that is a waste of money. Don’t worry once you plant them within a year they start to takeoff. I found they grow much faster than what you read. Mine have been in the ground three years and are probably 9 feet tall maybe more.

I collected a whole bunch of seed from trees near the hospital. I plan on spreading more around in my local area as well as germinating a few for myself. They really are great trees. And going forward their capacity to handle heat and drought make them ideal trees for our climate.

You should probably consider planting them in the spring I wouldn’t wait any longer. And remember when you plant them do not disturb the roots. Fast draining soil and no water in summer or you will kill them.

Our local nurseries all have a native plants section. And there are even nurseries that specialize in primarily native plants so getting these in our area is not an issue. One of my favorites is the giant pacific chain fern those things grow so fast they’re like a tree fern without a trunk.

100% right here. I would just add for both Eucs and Arbutus that fertilizer is a no-no as well, they will both grow just fine with whatever nutrients the soil can provide.

I grow both Eucalyptus and Arbutus (from local seed) at my place as well and will not grow either beyond a 1 gallon size. I sell them both while quite small and far from root-bound as well. I feel I have to explain to everyone why the trees are so puny looking every time i sell one, compared to the larger root-bound ones you sometimes come across in the garden centers.

Fun fact, the Canadian champion Arbutus is located a short bike ride away from me in Nanoose. 27m tall (not super tall) but a whopping 2.26m diameter. The thing is a real beauty! Thats my XL-frame mountain bike leaning against the trunk for scale.

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

100% right here. I would just add for both Eucs and Arbutus that fertilizer is a no-no as well, they will both grow just fine with whatever nutrients the soil can provide.

I grow both Eucalyptus and Arbutus (from local seed) at my place as well and will not grow either beyond a 1 gallon size. I sell them both while quite small and far from root-bound as well. I feel I have to explain to everyone why the trees are so puny looking every time i sell one, compared to the larger root-bound ones you sometimes come across in the garden centers.

Fun fact, the Canadian champion Arbutus is located a short bike ride away from me in Nanoose. 27m tall (not super tall) but a whopping 2.26m diameter. The thing is a real beauty! Thats my XL-frame mountain bike leaning against the trunk for scale.

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Thats impressive! The more im reading the more im finding what your saying to be true.  They seem to be incredibly root sensitive and do not transplant well, which is unfortunate because they grow like weeds on Vashon. Theres about 6, 5-15ft ft seedling in the ditch behind my mailbox that one or tow are going to be touching the power lines this spring, the county will chop them down soon, maybe 3-4" trunk diameter. I was gonna swoop them out and plant them in the yard but im afraid ill just kill them now. Maybe if i dig out excessively large area around the entire root ball it could be done, but these trees might be on borrowed time either way. 

On 12/31/2021 at 10:00 AM, Paradise Found said:

Looking good so far, how cold was your lowest temp this winter?

13F was as cold as it got but I don't know what the wind chill was.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:07 AM, NWpalms@206 said:

Also How long has that been planted in ground? I have one still in 5gal and can definitely see some size difference. Mines still a string bean, this is thickening up Nicely. 

image.jpg

I put it in the ground about the last part of July. just have to wait for the growing to start to see if it was damaged in any way now.

@NWpalms@206 don't waste your time on those Madrones.  They won't live if you dig them up based on everything I've read.  Some people are even afraid to walk on the ground near their trees - I think that's going overboard but you get the idea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

@NWpalms@206 don't waste your time on those Madrones.  They won't live if you dig them up based on everything I've read.  Some people are even afraid to walk on the ground near their trees - I think that's going overboard but you get the idea.

Too bad theyre so hard to move, theyre really nice trees and no shortage of them where i live, except on my property of course! Only reason why I would try now is because they will get removed by the county growing under the power lines, and soon, one is actually touching the lines (Id probably try the smaller 3ft ones not the 12ft)... transplant might be there only hope. Ive only got maybe 3 big ones on my 3 acres and not where I need them. Unfortunately a very old 3ft trunk diameter one, was cut down due to a lean over our shop and it dropped a big branch through the roof had to put a $5k new roof on the building. So that came down, but the stump sprouted like crazy and I may leave a couple shoots and GENTLY train train them to lean away from the shop. Definitely planting the keg cup sprouts early spring then leaving them alone, they wont need anything from me. Maybe deer protection.

39 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Too bad theyre so hard to move, theyre really nice trees and no shortage of them where i live, except on my property of course! Only reason why I would try now is because they will get removed by the county growing under the power lines, and soon, one is actually touching the lines (Id probably try the smaller 3ft ones not the 12ft)... transplant might be there only hope. Ive only got maybe 3 big ones on my 3 acres and not where I need them. Unfortunately a very old 3ft trunk diameter one, was cut down due to a lean over our shop and it dropped a big branch through the roof had to put a $5k new roof on the building. So that came down, but the stump sprouted like crazy and I may leave a couple shoots and GENTLY train train them to lean away from the shop. Definitely planting the keg cup sprouts early spring then leaving them alone, they wont need anything from me. Maybe deer protection.

No harm in trying if their days are numbered.  The question is, is it worth it to you to put forth the effort with a minimal chance of success.

4 minutes ago, Chester B said:

No harm in trying if their days are numbered.  The question is, is it worth it to you to put forth the effort with a minimal chance of success.

That is the question. Maybe a boring spring day project, won’t hold my breath for em making it though. We’ll see. Strange how the native plants sometimes the hardest to transplant but a palm tree from Brazil or where ever can, usually. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

That is the question. Maybe a boring spring day project, won’t hold my breath for em making it though. We’ll see. Strange how the native plants sometimes the hardest to transplant but a palm tree from Brazil or where ever can, usually. 

While I wish you the best and would love to see your succeed, your chances are slim at best. Especially with trees that large. I've heard success from people transplanting seedlings <30cm tall, but I've never heard of anyone being successful with anything bigger. You would have a better chance from gathering seed (probably some ripe berries still out there) and growing some yourself. Even the little seedlings can be pretty quick once established. 

Hop on the ferry and drive up Island a little. I've got a bout 20 1 gallon sized seedlings that will need a home in the spring!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I live in a similar climate to some PNW (which is a big region) areas. I haven't had my luck with Syagrus romanzoffiana. I've had a "normal" variety seedling which I grew from seeds I collected in Sicily. It started off well but started to slow down and then barely grew at all until it declined completely. A couple of years later I bought a small 'Santa Catarina' one and planted it out in a sheltered spot. I actually forgot about it in winter and it went down to -2°C/-3°C for a couple of nights. It showed some damage and didn't really grow out of it the following season until it was dead the winter after. We had a cold blast that winter in February 2021 but it was dead already before that with only mild temperatures. I think it was too small for that kind of cold and it was planted north faced behind a Chamaerops clump which prevented it from getting enough sun exposure during the daytime after the freezes (cold snaps usually come with sunny weather for us). I came to this post now, because I'm thinking of trying a 'Santa Catarina' again but this time I would start off with a bigger plant and protect it in case of a cold snap in its first years. Not 100% sure yet.

"NORMAL" VARIETY:
29_01_2011.thumb.JPG.611376867a67b1c5849edef797371020.JPG
Seedling of "normal" variety from Sicily in Jan. 2011 (collcted in summer of 2010 )

242874586_25_05.2012-1.thumb.JPG.27d69a8a028fe4b98d668e2f02462299.JPG
Same seedling spring of 2012

25_04_2013.thumb.JPG.ba51d29fa7a1fe9032500bb23c5118e6.JPG
Spring of 2013...

1858041301_06_02.2016(2).thumb.JPG.f5b56776c97505aadfa2c5b587aeac3b.JPG
Early 2016... (The soil is not dry, that's from moving the pot). I believe it died this year or the year after.

'SANTA CATARINA':
29525526_26_10.2019(84).thumb.JPG.93030c07cc137740bd9bf9ccb4bf836d.JPG
(The Chamaerops stem is not damaged from the cold)

848241171_07_11.2020(102).thumb.jpg.6cf6cabdc42d6c8be96083a4ed5fbe84.jpg
Just before its last winter...

Edited by Hortulanus
  • Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

@HortulanusI am currently growing three types of queens - littoralis, Santa Catarina and regular.  None will be attempted outside until they are a couple of metres tall, and even then I think its going to be tough and am expecting to have to protect.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@HortulanusI am currently growing three types of queens - littoralis, Santa Catarina and regular.  None will be attempted outside until they are a couple of metres tall, and even then I think its going to be tough and am expecting to have to protect.  

Litoralis is also one I might try. But either way. If I get one it has to have at least some trunk and I'm planning to protect it. That's IF I do it. But the thing that makes it appealing is that imo they are the types of palms that are pretty easy to protect even at a trunking size.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

• 4 months later...

I planted last.august.2023

12 syagrus romanzofiana Santa Catarina frm mypalmshop.fr

As the Santa Catarina strain was described as a tough hardy frost and humid tolerant strain I had decided to buy them.

Unfortunatly they all died with minus 7 degree celcius.

Please check the video link from the Dropbox below.

I'm in zone 8a.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aguz5k9g2m8kp92/AACAB0KzGlRChvrCMRsu2I9ea?dl=0

• Like 1

This are the climate informations of the coldest municipality, Palmas ( sugestive name!), from my state Paraná. It is similar to the colder places of Santa Catarina. How it compares to PNW' s climate?   https://m.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php?s=598025&cityname=Palmas-Parana-Brazil

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

And this are the climate informations of Castro, my neigbouring municipality in state Paraná.   https://m.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php?s=598018&cityname=Castro-Parana-Brazil

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

On 12/30/2021 at 7:42 PM, matthedlund said:

Would you have any jubutia seedlings & Jubaea chilensis x syagrus romanzofiana ?

Thanks 

I still have my two Santa Catarina queens. However I will not have the chance to try them in ground in the PNW. I do plan to take them with me and they will be planted in my new garden which will be better suited to growing queens. 

IMG_7957.jpeg

IMG_7958.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

I still have my two Santa Catarina queens. However I will not have the chance to try them in ground in the PNW. I do plan to take them with me and they will be planted in my new garden which will be better suited to growing queens. 

IMG_7957.jpeg

IMG_7958.jpeg

Moving are we?