IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Update: The Riley Tree

Ben in Norcal

As some of you know, I planted a Patric Schafer JxS seedling in honor of my daughter’s birth...5 years ago. Here’s an update on the progression photos for both Riley and The Riley Tree, each May 16th.

• Like 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben,

Thank you very much for these great images! 

All the best to your family - and that spectacular palm!

Lars

• Like 2

Love it. I should do the same

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 1

Ahhh, they grow so fast don’t they.

Not only do we see your palm and daughter grow up. We get to see your yard slowly transform into a jungle. It looks awesome. Great job with the documentation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Looking at the last photo I'd say you've named your garden 'Jurassic Park'.

You haven’t even seen “Grandma Longneck” out back yet!

9C45298B-16A2-4EC8-A123-CF42883B9A02.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben, nice way to document the time.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

You haven’t even seen “Grandma Longneck” out back yet!

9C45298B-16A2-4EC8-A123-CF42883B9A02.jpeg

My kind of eclectic garden art.

• Like 1

I am amazed at the growth in just 5 years.  Awesome palm.  Awesome yard.  Cute kid.

Thanks for sharing these.

• Like 1

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

If anyone is interested, here’s the growth rate on a B. paraguayensis x P. cocoides. Planted as a strap leafer at the same exact time as the JxS. While not the official “Riley Tree,” it is the same age. 

It’s trying to have babies itself now!

FD866D23-3FE6-43FD-A6EB-B537E3C8B246.jpeg

021FB331-17A7-4AF3-A041-B8979D1CBD94.jpeg

• Like 8

Ben Rogers

Thank you for sharing your pictures!

• Like 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

• 2 weeks later...

Ben, always enjoy seeing photos of Riley and you and that palm is awesome! Your landscape is filling in beautifully. I hope you intend on living there for a looong time. 

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Ben, always enjoy seeing photos of Riley and you and that palm is awesome! Your landscape is filling in beautifully. I hope you intend on living there for a looong time. 

Thanks Jim!  Yeah, I've got pretty lucky with her...she enjoys being in the garden with me and even does pretty well at garden tours/Palm Society events.  Poor thing, I torture her! :D

Definitely going for the jungle look - looooong way to go until I achieve your level of madness though. :D

Ben Rogers

Who doesn't want to see perfectly grown hybrids , gives everyone who has them hope of what they could look like 1 day

keep the pics coming =)

• Like 1

T J 

Right on! Thank you for sharing and documenting.  

Edit: Way to rock a Slayer shirt to bro. B)

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RJ said:

Edit: Way to rock a Slayer shirt to bro. B)

The dichotomy between my shirt, and Riley's, in that photo is beautiful. :D

Big Slayer fan here.  Motorhead, Maiden, Slipknot, Overkill, etc.  Total metalhead!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On May 31, 2019 at 6:45 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

Thanks Jim!  Yeah, I've got pretty lucky with her...she enjoys being in the garden with me and even does pretty well at garden tours/Palm Society events.  Poor thing, I torture her! :D

Definitely going for the jungle look - looooong way to go until I achieve your level of madness though. :D

I have more than a jungle now. I occasionally have to grit my teeth and remove a palm or other plant. That was always in the cards though. I knew I'd have to "thin" out a few here and there. Never anything rare of course. 

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Brilliant idea mate! Your daughter is beautiful and the palm is a great way to record her growth. Wish I'd thought of that when my girl was born, she's 13 now so it's a  bit late but  I love your idea!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I have more than a jungle now. I occasionally have to grit my teeth and remove a palm or other plant. That was always in the cards though. I knew I'd have to "thin" out a few here and there. Never anything rare of course. 

This is sort of what I am doing now.  I planted my big "anchor palms and cycads" and am using other inexpensive "throwaway" plants as fillers to create the jungle.  These are mostly cheap and common palms like bottle/spindle/foxtails (probably not long-term survivors) and easily transplantable things like bananas and white bird of paradise.  The fastest "cheap shade" that I've found is the Ice Cream Banana, which went from 2' to 12' since March!

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Ben in Norcal time for a 2020 update pic !!! 

FDCC584B-8096-448E-BA96-1953E1E3D684.jpeg

D30EAC65-20AD-43DA-93C2-8042774F9DFA.jpeg

• Like 8

Ben Rogers

Those were from May.  Can't figure out how to post pictures right here on PT, since almost everything I take is vertical in orientation.

Ben Rogers

someone will fix them ty for the quick response =) How much sun exposure does it get ? Awesome palm !!!

• Like 1

T J 

11 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

someone will fix them ty for the quick response =) How much sun exposure does it get ? Awesome palm !!!

Gets less now than it used to due to the Queens, but hoping it goes up and finds some more!

Ben Rogers

5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Gets less now than it used to due to the Queens

It was the Queen that said, lop their heads off.  So if the Queens offend the more precious of the bunch, then lop her head off.  :mrlooney:  Give the Queen the old Slayer treatment and let your J x S hybrid thrive!

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Give the Queen the old Slayer treatment and let your J x S hybrid thrive!

I couldn't agree more , actually surprised @Ben in Norcal has queens on his property. Unless of course they were used to make JxS then they must stay =) 

T J 

On 9/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

FDCC584B-8096-448E-BA96-1953E1E3D684.jpeg

D30EAC65-20AD-43DA-93C2-8042774F9DFA.jpeg

Ben,

this thread is going to be epic! 

Sharing this development with all of us is very very kind of you - 

all the best to Riley, your family and you!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 10:20 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Those were from May.  Can't figure out how to post pictures right here on PT, since almost everything I take is vertical in orientation.

If you are on a Windows 10 PC, just right click on the photo in an Explorer window and hit "Edit".  There's a built-in basic photo editor that works okay.  Just rotate 90 degrees to the right and save, and it's corrected.  Here's the bigger photo:

1894399323_JubaeaxSyagrus2020.thumb.jpeg.b0bf218bed9cd4c619c30cd0a407f87c.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

If you are on a Windows 10 PC, just right click on the photo in an Explorer window and hit "Edit".  There's a built-in basic photo editor that works okay.  Just rotate 90 degrees to the right and save, and it's corrected.  Here's the bigger photo:

1894399323_JubaeaxSyagrus2020.thumb.jpeg.b0bf218bed9cd4c619c30cd0a407f87c.jpeg

I post directly from my iPhone...but use a Mac.

Ben Rogers