IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Neoveitchia storckii cold hardiness?

Jungle Yard

Who else grow this palm (Neoveitchia storckii)? How much brief cold does it take?

Well, there is a great looking one here at Leu Gardens, in Orlando that has been in the ground for a number of years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jungle Yard said:

Who else grow this palm (Neoveitchia storckii)? How much brief cold does it take?

I live in Minnesota and one of my friends grows this palm as a houseplant and it can take a brief drop to 30 degrees. I think it can handle that for 2 to 3 hours but any longer than that and I think the palm will die. I am surprised one is growing and thriving in Orlando!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There’s a couple here and there in far ne nsw Australia and it gets to near zero C. I think planted from a larger pot in a sheltered spot will overcome the sudden infant death potential 

So it's a solid 10a palm?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I couldn't keep this species alive here. I'm not sure if weather or my alkaline, sandy killed them. Looks like you are about 100 miles north of me, so your winters are significantly colder and longer enough to maybe affect a Neoveitchia's survival. But you will never know if you don't try and if I lived in Sarasota I would probably try one. You will probably have to hunt but there are nurseries in SFL that specialize in rare palms.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

31 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

So it's a solid 10a palm?

Not sure. I don’t follow those codes. 

Sarasota can be pretty variable in terms of local climates. Are there any mature coconuts in your neighborhood?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)