SilverDragon

Dypsis lutescens leaf discoloration help

SilverDragon

My butterfly palm is showing orange/light brown leaflets near the ends of the leaves. Is it nutritional? Someone told me they don't like tap water because of fluoride and chlorine content? Is there a remedy?

15580320897288314928564781703857.jpg

Chris Chance

That looks a bit like sunburn to me. If it was in a low light situation then it goes full sun that can happen. That would be my guess.

SilverDragon
13 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

That looks a bit like sunburn to me. If it was in a low light situation then it goes full sun that can happen. That would be my guess.

Yeah it was in my room all winter, but it was under a high wattage light so I thought it'd be ok.

PalmatierMeg

I agree: sunburn. Always introduce indoor palms to outdoor sun gradually.

• Like 1

SilverDragon
12 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I agree: sunburn. Always introduce indoor palms to outdoor sun gradually.

So two questions. 1: should I move it to a shadier spot? 2: how long does acclimation usually take for palms?

PalmatierMeg

1. Yes. Start with partial shade or early morning sun. Each week or so move to progressively sunnier areas for longer times.

2. Several weeks or so. The sunburned leaves won't heal but you are looking for the palm to put out hardier leaves as it acclimates. Warm temps will speed growth.

SilverDragon
3 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

1. Yes. Start with partial shade or early morning sun. Each week or so move to progressively sunnier areas for longer times.

2. Several weeks or so. The sunburned leaves won't heal but you are looking for the palm to put out hardier leaves as it acclimates. Warm temps will speed growth.

Ah see I always thought light levels sped up growth. Thanks again Meg

PalmatierMeg

You are welcome. You didn't realize how brutal full spring/summer sun can be even in OH. Think of your palm as a pasty white tourist who dashes out onto Ft. Myers Beach in his speedo without applying a drop of sunscreen. In 10 minutes he burns so badly he's in misery for the next 2 days. Always treat the sun with great caution and respect. Your palms will thank you.