IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Suggestions after over-pruning

LennyG

So after specifically telling my tree trimmer to only remove yellowed fronds, he proceeded to way over prune our beautiful Livistona Saribus.  Lesson learned, I will supervise going forward (with a new service).

Just wondering if there is anything specific that I can do help the palm through this period of regrowth. Main concern is fertilizer.  Back off or step up? Moving into rainy season here in Florida so water should not be a problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would recommend killing the tree trimmer. Skewering him on a tall post. Then using his decaying, lifeless body as a talking point to the next tree trimmer when you set expectations. Oh wait......hold up on that idea. Somebody is telling me that course of action is "technically" illegal these days.

Perhaps just give it more minors and such, since it won't get the opportunity to reabsorb from the browning fronds.   

• Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

11 minutes ago, buffy said:

I would recommend killing the tree trimmer. Skewering him on a tall post. Then using his decaying, lifeless body as a talking point to the next tree trimmer when you set expectations. Oh wait......hold up on that idea. Somebody is telling me that course of action is "technically" illegal these days.

That's good, although goes a little further than my first reaction upon returning home.

Perhaps just give it more minors and such, since it won't get the opportunity to reabsorb from the browning fronds.   

Makes sense-thanks Buffy!

Which part, adding minors or skewering the dead tree trimmer? ;)

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

I think it should be fin especially this time of year. Fertilizer wouldn't hurt and I'm sure it will regrow through the summer. I had a gardener years ago that I specifically said don't trim any palms. One day I came home and a hybrid I planted in my front yard was trimmed to just one leaf. It was still very young and was only planted for 6 months when my son was born. I attached a picture. 

rps20190516_112520.jpg

Thanks Chris. And to answer Buffy....both the minors and the skewering seem to make sense.  I'd just hate to see other victims, both human and plant alike.....