Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

What's Up With Costal Southern California VS Inland Southern California?

PalmTreeDude

Is this huge difference in tempatures in Coastal Southern California and Inland Southern California from the ocean and the mountains? How high are these mountains? Every time I look at a tempature map of the U.S. I see how much cooler it is in Coastal California than Inland California, which I know is a desert. Does Coastal California ever seem chilly out at some times around this time of year? Out of curiosity I sometimes compare tempatures of here and places like San Diego or Los Angeles and a lot of the time it is warmer here (during the day) in the Spring time. For people who live in these places, what does it feel like out? It looks like Southern California has all kinds of different little (but bigger than micro) climates. I make sure to pay attention to the time difference as well. 

I apologize for the typo in the title, I didn't notice it. 

SmartSelect_20190515-212412_The Weather Channel.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Chris Chance

Really the ocean has a lot to do with that. Closer to the ocean the cooler and more mild it gets. Basically if you're within 30 miles or so depending on mountains and current you would get an influence from the sea. I'm pretty far inland myself but I still get an influence. If I head east even 10 miles there's a big difference in climate. 

• Like 2

Hammer

That pretty well sums it up.  The hills and mountains create a big blocking factor.  Even hills a few hundred feet high can block and channel cool ocean breezes.  The pockets behind those hills can be a lot warmer.  

I am 6 miles from the coast.   I get a fair amount of ocean influence but am blocked by a set of coastal hills.  Irvine is further inland but the flat terrain there often times allows for cooler temps than where I live.  San Juan Capistrano also has some very distinct features like this.

On a less dramatic level, elevation can play a role too.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• epiphyte
      By epiphyte
      The show had quite a few nice entries, for example Vriesea Strawberry... 

Posted pics on my blog.
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      We are now frost free here in the Richmond area, today (April 10) was supposed to be our last possible frost date until Fall, although the last time we had a frost here was in late March, and it was very patchy. Our lowest lows are in the mid to high 40s, highs are mid 70s, a few low 80s this week. This morning it was 48 out, but it felt warmer (it was very sunny, no wind). We already had some days in the 80s. I'm ready for Summer, but will enjoy the nice comfortable tempatures while they last! But I still love the heat. 
    • DoomsDave
      By DoomsDave
      Say-it-ten-times-fast . . .
      Yesterday's PSSC meeting in Poway, CA was a rip-roarin' success, so I heard. For various reasons, I missed much of it, so maybe you who did make it there can provide a few visual and narrative highlights?
      I did get there, really late (like I hope for my own funeral) and I hear tell it was quite the event, even (especially?) before I got there.
      Thanks to @Josh-O, @BS Man about Palms, @daxin and others who attended, included @Darold Petty who came on down from San Francisco for the fun in the sun.

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      The weather differences here between today and yesterday are pretty staggering. 
      And even more so around this time last year!

Anyone living south of the Mason Dixon can probably relate to these events. But sadly, mass meltings like these always demonstrate how poor my native soil is. It’s a clay type soil which can remain  extremely soggy around 1-3 days after precipitation. You can even see runoff and puddling. The drainage is extremely poor and I would like some tips on improving it. I want to keep my palm’s soil atleast partly the native soil, but I was thinking about adding organic materials to the mix such as crumbled leaves, peat moss, and pearlite to increase drainage. Any experiences and/or tips will help! Thanks!