IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pruning Sago

AZPalms

I have a medium sized Sago in the front yard. Planted it about a year ago. I removed a dying tree shortly after and it receives way too much sun and it’s pretty scorched for the last 11 months. However it’s flushing for the first time since I’ve planted it. New fronds look very healthy even in this 3/4 day sun location. Zero burn whatsoever. Two questions.

1. Do I prune off most of the sunburnt and slightly green fronds or leave them be?

2. Now that it’s been in its spot for a year, are the new fronds adapted to the higher sun in that area? I don’t have an area for it in the backyard as my dogs will chew on plants and I don’t want to put sago in the backyard.

Max

0E217724-9342-40D9-96F0-42392EFB95DD.jpeg

If you cut the old ones, that will stimulate the production of new, and since it is already producing a new flush, it will not hurt to do that..

• Like 1

Wait until the new flush has hardened off before cutting, coupla weeks.

Edited by Gonzer
  • Like 1

Sagos are tough. 

Just don’t disturb the new flush at all. Let it finish growing and harden off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Wait until the new flush has hardened off before cutting, coupla weeks.

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Sagos are tough. 

Just don’t disturb the new flush at all. Let it finish growing and harden off.

Thank you. I will let it be and in a few weeks I’ll trim back the old unsightly fronds. 

2 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Thank you. I will let it be and in a few weeks I’ll trim back the old unsightly fronds. 

Definitely wait to trim them off until your new flush has hardened off.  I would still be a little concerned about your summer full sun.  Perhaps someone else from the Phoenix area can give you better advice on whether you need to plant something nearby to give it part day shade (preferably either mid-day protection or late day).

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

When I lived in Las Vegas they seemed to harden off to the sun there so I'm sure it will start looking better next flush. The old leaves are used to less sun so I think it just needs to acclimate. Probably waiting for the flush to harden before trimming is a good idea. 

I do the same on my sagos as others above.  If it's flushing I generally wait ~2 weeks before cutting off the old fronds.  Usually they start out a lighter green and then darken to match the older ones.  Once they are all about the same color I lop off the old ones.  Technically it wouldn't hurt it to cut off the sunburnt ones now, but the new leaflets are delicate at this age and easy to bump them and cause them to grow distorted.  Since there's no advantage to cutting now, just wait a couple of weeks.