NCpalmqueen

JUBAEA X SYAGRUS ROMANZOFFIANA

NCpalmqueen

Hi

After a few years of buying homes/selling homes, building a home, I am finally able to get back to some serious plant collecting and gardening (and visiting this web site).  Is/has anyone grown/growing the jxs ?   Photos??

Through all of my moving, my palms and plants moved with me.  In doing so, I lost some nice specimens.  :(  However, my jubaea, originally sourced from CA, is doing great.  It is now about 15-16 years old and does get covered each winter.   Jubby has never lost all of his canopy from winter damage.  His little fat body just keeps getting bigger and bigger.     I also managed to keep both of my bxj and jxb alive and they have adapted well to their new environment.  The jxb fares much better during our winters than the bxj.   I've planted them side-by-side so I can compare growth and damage.  

Anyways, hello from NC to my old friends out there in CA and FL.:happy:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

RJ

I've read many of your old posts and was hoping you would return. I very much want to try a Jubaea down here in SC. 

Welcome back. 

DoomsDave
2 hours ago, NCpalmqueen said:

Hi

After a few years of buying homes/selling homes, building a home, I am finally able to get back to some serious plant collecting and gardening (and visiting this web site).  Is/has anyone grown/growing the jxs ?   Photos??

Through all of my moving, my palms and plants moved with me.  In doing so, I lost some nice specimens.  :(  However, my jubaea, originally sourced from CA, is doing great.  It is now about 15-16 years old and does get covered each winter.   Jubby has never lost all of his canopy from winter damage.  His little fat body just keeps getting bigger and bigger.     I also managed to keep both of my bxj and jxb alive and they have adapted well to their new environment.  The jxb fares much better during our winters than the bxj.   I've planted them side-by-side so I can compare growth and damage.  

Anyways, hello from NC to my old friends out there in CA and FL.:happy:

Nice to see you back!

Where in NC are you now? There's a big difference between the coast, the piedmont and mountains . . . . 

• Like 1

NCpalmqueen

RJ--Thanks.  What type of soil do you have, and do you already have a jub to plant?  If not, get the biggest one you can afford.

Dave--Thanks for the welcome.  I'm still in the piedmont, just 40 miles west of where I was before.  

meteorologistpalmguy

Been growing one here north of Houston since early 2015.  First image is from the start of 2015 and second image is from this evening (yes, the palm made a move to my new house back in 2016, hence the change in scenery). 

31915C98-5EE8-4073-8769-4A9664A147FD.jpeg

3296BFF1-FD79-4CD2-8B21-48981B972602.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Ben in Norcal

Be watching for a 5-year JxS progression thread here soon (when it stops raining here!)

• Upvote 1

awkonradi
2 hours ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Been growing one here north of Houston since early 2015.  First image is from the start of 2015 and second image is from this evening (yes, the palm made a move to my new house back in 2016, hence the change in scenery). 

31915C98-5EE8-4073-8769-4A9664A147FD.jpeg

3296BFF1-FD79-4CD2-8B21-48981B972602.jpeg

Damn.  That's a beauty.  Looks more relaxed than GTLevine's specimen in SoCal.  Wonder if this is the result of variation in individual genetics or in local conditions.  Clearly one of the best coccoid hybrids, if not the best.  Kudos.

NCpalmqueen

Wow, meteorologistpalmguy!!   That is amazing growth for only 4 years. And it is beautiful!   Thank you for posting it.

Ben--looking forward to your pics!

• Like 1

RJ
19 hours ago, NCpalmqueen said:

RJ--Thanks.  What type of soil do you have, and do you already have a jub to plant?  If not, get the biggest one you can afford.

-NCQueen I don't have one. as you know finding a jub in the SE is near impossibly, and a big one is unheard of. Even finding 5g ones to ship is a rarity. 

I'm right in the transition from the red SE clay to the sand of the coastal plane. So my soil is a tan clay loam with some rocks in it. Not too bad, certainly not the bright red clay I remember when I lived up in the Raleigh area 15 years ago. My property has a nice mictroclimate that moderated my winter temps because of proximity to lake Murray. I really should try a JXS.... 

NCpalmqueen
4 hours ago, RJ said:

-NCQueen I don't have one. as you know finding a jub in the SE is near impossibly, and a big one is unheard of. Even finding 5g ones to ship is a rarity. 

I'm right in the transition from the red SE clay to the sand of the coastal plane. So my soil is a tan clay loam with some rocks in it. Not too bad, certainly not the bright red clay I remember when I lived up in the Raleigh area 15 years ago. My property has a nice mictroclimate that moderated my winter temps because of proximity to lake Murray. I really should try a JXS.... 

I'll get a photo tonight of my jub, jxb and bxj.   You have to grow them up to about the 6-8 year old mark before they can go in the ground...  (I drove to California from NC to get jubs......  :-))

Your soil sounds great.  My jub seems to like our mixed soil and red clay.   In your zone, you definitely should try the jub hybrids.