IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Palm Issues in SC

Poodles

Hello there, I am hoping that someone in this forum can tell me what is wrong with my sabal palm...

I have noticed that the palm tree in question has a “soft” trunk. I am able to push my finger into the trunk. In addition to that, I have noticed other damage e.g. holes and trunk fibers (shown in pictures) along the trunk.

I have another palm which was planted at the same time in my back yard and it’s doing great. I have no issues with this palm tree. 

What is causing a soft trunk and the damages showing in the pictures? Is the palm salvageable or is it too late?

is appreciate your input and feedback. 

Thanks. 

BA031EAF-4B39-472F-B127-9A630BBF0585.jpeg

28404791-350E-4CB5-996B-83355704E790.jpeg

77D8E45D-FD30-4B52-9494-D18FB4071A18.jpeg

@Poodles Not sure where in SC, but how cold did it get this winter?  Do you have any irrigation or sprinklers around the palms?

Welcome to PalmTalk by the way!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

13 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Can we get a picture of the crown/leaves? 

Here is a picture of the crown...36DDBC02-DE11-4A0E-8D4F-E42CE44C79B2.thumb.jpeg.a39a439dfd39f29abd2cc43d2d45fe68.jpeg

12 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Poodles Not sure where in SC, but how cold did it get this winter?  Do you have any irrigation or sprinklers around the palms?

Welcome to PalmTalk by the way!

I live in Charleston. Winter was not that cold. 

I do have a sprinkler which is 15 feet away which I have turned on this year maybe 2 times. I don’t run the sprinkler that often throughout the year.  

That doesn't look too good. I would expect continual decline. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Looks like some kind of mechanical damage. Did someone slam into it with a mower or attack it with a maniacal weed whacker? Palm trunk damage does not heal and leaves the whole plant open to disease and insect infestation. Did that same someone also butcher the poor thing's crown? It appears grossly over trimmed. Sabals evolved to cope with hurricane winds and do so probably better than any other palms, except perhaps royals. Hurricane cutting a planted Sabal is a crime against nature.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@Poodles Yes, I agree that cold shouldn't be an issue at all in Charleston.  Since it doesn't sound like the wood gets hit with the sprinklers much, I would have to lean toward @PalmatierMeg's guess that it was mechanical damage and/or potential pathogen infection.  Hope @buffy isn't right, but I would have to say that expecting decline is a more than reasonable expectation.  Sometimes they will continue to grow with a deformed trunk.  Time will tell.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It looks like damage from hauling equipment. I had one with similar symptoms and it was fine. It was mostly just cosmetic damage of the outer layer of fibers. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Has this palm been recently planted at that location, the crown looks like it has and would explain the mechanical damage.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Indeed looks like mechanical damage. Also looks like a recently planted tree that hasn't fully leafed out of it's "hurricane" cut. I would contact whoever you purchased it from for a replacement. I would assume it was one of the local companies that plant them as well...

4 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Has this palm been recently planted at that location, the crown looks like it has and would explain the mechanical damage.

This palm was planted July 2018. 

It had a small damage but it has gotten bigger over time. I am just worried that it will get worse over time and as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, the trunk is soft - I am able to push it in whereas the other palm in my backyard is doing really well. 

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

Indeed looks like mechanical damage. Also looks like a recently planted tree that hasn't fully leafed out of it's "hurricane" cut. I would contact whoever you purchased it from for a replacement. I would assume it was one of the local companies that plant them as well...

It was planted in July 2018 and it came with a “hurricane cut”... I will contact the nursery I got it from to come out and take a look at it and ask for a replacement. Looking at all the feedback so far it doesn’t sound promising.

Thank you for your feedback. 

Just now, Poodles said:

It was planted in July 2018 and it came with a “hurricane cut”... I will contact the nursery I got it from to come out and take a look at it and ask for a replacement. Looking at all the feedback so far it doesn’t sound promising.

Thank you for your feedback. 

OK then all that makes sense, since it has only been in the ground for less than a year. I think it should be ok, just keep it well watered and feed and it should be good to go.

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, so I finally got a response from the nursery. 

Their assessment is that the tree has “pseudobark erosion“... they are telling me that I shouldn’t be worried about it even if the hole continues to get bigger since it is solid behind the “erosion”. 

I am concerned that this will expose the tree to other potential problems. The “warranty” will expire in July and I don’t want to replace the tree in the near future only because the nursery said that “it is not uncommon and not to worry about”... 

I found this topic that includes info on "pseudobark erosion":

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st575

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

59 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I found this topic that includes info on "pseudobark erosion":

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st575

Looks like I may be completely wrong. Cheers Poodles. Good luck. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 1 year later...