IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I want to grow a large hardy Agave in the Ground

Palm crazy

Here are three agaves I got from H.D. they didn't have any single one just flower pot full of succulents, but for $29.00 you get a lot for the money.  I am hoping someone can I.D. These three since there is no tag. 

First one has really long black spines and teeth.

The second one has narrower long leaves with red teeth.

The third one has shorter wider leaves with red teeth.

All of them has several pups.  If anyone can ID one or all I would appreciate any guesses. 

Thanks! 

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

They all appear to be forms of Parryi, which can be variable within their individual descriptions in color etc. 

1- based off blue spines and form: most likely Parryi var. Neomexicana 

2- Parryi var. Couesii most likely, slim chance of Agave Palmeri

3- Parryi var. Huachucensis or possibly

Parryi var. Parryi

nice haul for Home Depot. I would recommend going to Agaveville.org and look under their agave gallery to get accurate pictures to compare to, vs. google which can be way off.

Edited by Meangreen94z
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Here are photos of my Weberi "Arizona Star" and what was sold to me as a Guengiola Creme Brulee.  I'm pretty sure it's actually a Celsii "Multicolor" because the leaf shape is all wrong for a Guengiola.  It may be because it's in full sun so the leaves are shorter.  But I like it anyway, it was $13 from Planet Desert.  The Weberi "Arizona Star" is also only a questionable ID, I rescued it from a local nursery for $20 in pretty poor shape.  It's just starting to fill out a few new decent leaves this spring.

Also below is my Bluebell Giants from PDN, it was a 4" plant last August and grew pretty well over the winter with only a little discoloration of the lower leaves.  It only saw ~33F twice this winter, so it wasn't a real test of hardiness.

P1050053 Guengiola Creme Brulee.JPG

That looks like Agave Celsii “Multicolor”

7 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

That looks like Agave Celsii “Multicolor”

Yep, that's what I was thinking too.  I have a larger one in the front yard near an Angustifolia, in partial shade.

P1040176 angustifolia celsii multicolor.JPG

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

They all appear to be forms of Parryi, which can be variable within their individual descriptions in color etc. 

Parryi var. Parryi  nice haul for Home Depot. I would recommend going to Agaveville.org and look under their agave gallery to get accurate pictures to compare to, vs. google which can be way off.

I agree, that's an awesome haul for $29!  It's hard to tell when they are small, I'd guess Parryi types on all of them, possibly Neomexicana slightly different versions on 1 and 2, and Huachucensis on 3.  Once they get a bit bigger it'll be easier to tell, but even Gee over at Agaveville said it's really tough to ID the Parryi varieties.  Here are some good Neomexicana pics with greenish and silver-blue types:

https://www.agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4165

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Parryi var. Parryi

nice haul for Home Depot. I would recommend going to Agaveville.org and look under their agave gallery to get accurate pictures to compare to, vs. google which can be way off.

Meangreen94z Nice guesses never would have come up with those names. At the store, there were other agaves too but really like these three the best.  Thanks so much for the website great reference site and I posted photos to see what others have to say on Agaveville.org.  Thank you very much! 

Merlyn2220 thanks for the input.  Looking at the pictures and the real agaves the pictures make them look smaller than they really are in person, but they will get a lot bigger that's for sure.  Thanks for the Agave website. :D  Am I starting agave collection now... you betcha yea! 

Edited by Palm crazy

Here's a photo of my 6" diameter "Parryi Truncata" for reference, it looks quite a bit like your 3rd one but younger and smaller.  I got it from a random online seller so no guarantee it's a Truncata at all.

For me agaves are a great addition to the garden.  For the most part I can just ignore them and try not to get stabbed too often.  And if they get mature enough to produce offsets then I get free new plants!  At some point I'll have too many offsets to plant or give away...  :D 

P1050056 parryi truncata.JPG

I'm really getting into agave also, so interesting species with lots of variation. Wish they were more rain hardy but that part of the fun growing something changeling and a plant most here don't grow. 

I got some BAD news from a poster on Agaeville that this one has signs of agave mites. This is disappointing since this was the only agave that they had that look different from all the rest.  I quickly separated it from the rest and treated with Neem Oil RTU.  Fungicide/ miticide/ insecticide.  I hope I can clear this up if not it's going back to H.D. for a full refund. 

According to the link he provided, the brown markings on the outer leaves are agave spider mite signs.  Glad this was caught right away before others were infested. I'm going to check out another H.D. tomorrow and see If I can find one like this that is not infested. Bummer! 

DSC_0005.thumb.JPG.d5b0e85f37822fcdd262efc8cbc7b314.JPG

I saw those spots and his post, debated previously whether to condemn it as mites. The brown spots partially follow the shape of the leaf imprints from my vantage point? I’ve had Agave do that for unknown reasons(mishapen new leaves pushed into old, cutting them, maybe trapped moisture, or edema, not sure). You’ll also get grease looking stains from mites but I’ve had edema spots do the same. Maybe post close up pictures? The preferred treatment for agave mites(nearly microscopic) is forbid 4H, there are other methods, but I would keep it away from the other agave for now.

Edited by Meangreen94z

15 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I saw those spots and his post, debated previously whether to condemn it as mites. The brown spots partially follow the shape of the leaf imprints from my vantage point? I’ve had Agave do that for unknown reasons(mishapen new leaves pushed into old, cutting them, maybe trapped moisture, or edema, not sure). You’ll also get grease looking stains from mites but I’ve had edema spots do the same. Maybe post close up pictures? The preferred treatment for agave mites(nearly microscopic) is forbid 4H, there are other methods, but I would keep it away from the other agave for now.

Thanks for your advice,  I'm keeping them away from any other agaves for the next 4 months. Yes, I thought it was just leaf imprints also but a closer look and I see other problems too so I took just the bad one back to H.D. and they were very nice about it and told me to keep my receipt if I need to return any other later on.  If you look at the picture there something else going on with one of the lower leaves in the middle is starting to show early signs of some type of damage.  I feel better taking that this one back. 

WOW! that forbid 4H is really expensive! 

Edited by Palm crazy

Another option is Avid / Abamectin, I use that for spider mites on palms too.  Some of the Agaveville people like alternating Forbid 4F and Abamectin, so any surviving mites are less likely to develop a resistance.  I got a quart of Quali-Pro 1.9% Abamectin for about $62, it'll last a long time if you don't need to use a lot of it.  Now I need to go doublecheck my agave collection, I completely missed the brownish "tooth marks" on the above photo.

• 1 year later...

when I bought these they were growing in a nursery about an hour  north of lake Charles Louisiana , it's very wet there , I was surprised they handled the winters and wet that far north , very wide leaf blades , I'm guessing a Americana type sport of some kind 

IMG_20190619_150914121_HDR.jpg

• Like 1