IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Old stand of Serenoa reopens

Reeverse

These are located in Port Orange Fl. A new road was cut through exposing these beauties.

20190513_101603.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

"Old" is a relative thing.  The dwarfy-looking Serenoas of frequently-burned dry prairies and flatwoods are proving to be extremely long-lived.  Modern DNA identification techniques make it possible to identify growing tips by genotype, and growth rates are pretty well known.  The stems fork once in a while.  So if two genetically identical growing tips a are some distance apart, you can estimate how long they've been separated.  Careful work has shown that plants may be thousands of years old.  They may be among the world's oldest palms.  Of course the stems don't last very long.    (Research was done by researchers based at Archbold Biological station, Lake Placid/Venus Florida)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave: That's super cool. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

I was on a field trip at Crystal River led by University of Florida ecologist Jack Putz.  He figures that Sabal palmetto puts out about four leaves/year, and on many trunks you can count leaf scars from top to bottom, especially if you have a palm bicycle.   A lot of mature Sabals are around 200 years old.  

This, of course, emphasizes that Sabals in human landscapes deserve to be treated decently.  No excessive pruning.  

• Like 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Serenoa repens are the most plentiful native species of palm growing on my property, followed by Sabal etonia, then Sabal palmetto. The clump shown below was far bigger until four of the tallest palms were toppled by Hurricane Irma, and since removed.

Saw_palmetto_clump.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mad about palms

14 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

A very underrated palm and a good indoor plant for me !

Agree. They are wonderful palms that have finally received due respect in FL. Thirty years ago they were considered weeds and trash plants that deserved to be rooted out wherever they grew. Only in recent years have they been recognized as valuable native palms and used in municipal and commercial plantings.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Unfortunately an overexploited species. The berries harvesting is out of control and few seedlings are seen in habitat. In some places - none. I'm really hopeful that the new state regulation introduced last summer will make a difference, but I've seen no enforcement action so far. Hopefully during this fruiting season it will be different. Otherwise all we will have are the thousand year old plants :(

40 minutes ago, sarasota alex said:

Unfortunately an overexploited species. The berries harvesting is out of control and few seedlings are seen in habitat. In some places - none. I'm really hopeful that the new state regulation introduced last summer will make a difference, but I've seen no enforcement action so far. Hopefully during this fruiting season it will be different. Otherwise all we will have are the thousand year old plants :(

A big problem everywhere. When I worked at Little Pine Island Wetland Mitigation Bank we had to keep watch every summer because vanloads of people would pull off the highway to trespass on State wildlife habitat in search of Serenoa seeds. Every vacant lot with a patch of saw palmetto is scoured and stripped. One of the silver saw palmetto I planted on a berm is flowering and I hope no one finds those seeds.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the post and subsequent info.......that's fantastic.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

How tall are those? 7-8 ft.? I have a stand of them about this tall in my front lot. The outer most have fallen over even before we moved in, but continue to grow. We keep it there for privacy, but I would like to have it all removed and use the space to plant some more interesting palms or trees. It has become infested with Brazilian pepper trees, grapevine, and beauty berry, which I definitely want to have removed, but my hubby says it just adds to the privacy factor. :indifferent:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

3 hours ago, Missi said:

How tall are those? 7-8 ft.? I have a stand of them about this tall in my front lot. The outer most have fallen over even before we moved in, but continue to grow. We keep it there for privacy, but I would like to have it all removed and use the space to plant some more interesting palms or trees. It has become infested with Brazilian pepper trees, grapevine, and beauty berry, which I definitely want to have removed, but my hubby says it just adds to the privacy factor. :indifferent:

They are about 10ft. I'll try and get a new pic for scale.