• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter down under

cbmnz

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Bangalow and Hedychium leaf.

6E5361E8-8083-4000-BA7D-D695714C97E5.jpeg

4C48E0E5-51FB-4C2A-9ADA-8C2CE7A37E54.jpeg

Interesting. After frost on 21 May I thought I could see some dark green splotches on my  R. Sapida Chattamica, not as pronounced as that though. But then I wondered with the reduced sunlight of winter perhaps the palm was in process of increasing the clorophyl in its leaves and that does not happen in a uniform way. Two months on, no sign any tissue died which is good. Hopefully same for yours.  Don't you hate it when a  frost is not forecast properly. That said looks like your garden is way too big to be able to manually cover everything like I do.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Some pics around the place taken just before 9am.

49F69837-7B94-44AE-AEFE-BF4640156FD5.jpeg

8AC05AE7-3248-498D-B333-A82F00BE90E1.jpeg

Wow! That's a scary sight! I remember as a kid in Scone NSW sights like that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

From what I can remember of frost damage in my mothers garden in Camden NSW, it was the length or number of hours below freezing as well as weather it was a 'damp' or 'dry' frost. Those earlier pics of yours with the heavy white looks like a damp frost, ie more damage. And remember, they measure the temps 1.2m or 4' above the ground. A zero in the screen could easily be 2c to 4c colder on the grass.... Alice Springs gives out provisional frost warnings at 5c forecast.
Armidale in NSW,  a renowned frosty place, used to dip to zero as soon as the sun set, so 5.oopm.... so about 15 hours of below zero temps which would completely torch garden plants.

We had rain here most of last week, so yes lots of moisture around even though the air was cold and dry. Warmer tonight and for the foreseeable future. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Interesting. After frost on 21 May I thought I could see some dark green splotches on my  R. Sapida Chattamica, not as pronounced as that though. But then I wondered with the reduced sunlight of winter perhaps the palm was in process of increasing the clorophyl in its leaves and that does not happen in a uniform way. Two months on, no sign any tissue died which is good. Hopefully same for yours.  Don't you hate it when a  frost is not forecast properly. That said looks like your garden is way too big to be able to manually cover everything like I do.

Yes, the BOM was out a whopping 6C and their frost forecast doesn’t cover this area at all. The closest frost forecast point is about 200km away. 

Youre right I can’t cover everything here. I need much more canopy than what I’ve got and also barriers to keep cold air drainage away.

Im hoping the green blotches will disappear in a few days.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The damage is starting to really show up on some things now. My Hyophorbe indicas don’t look happy. Will take some pics on the weekend and post them. A week should show the damage up good and proper. 

The nights have been much warmer and mild since Sunday morning, but we’ve had a heap of rain and strong winds from thunderstorms. Great for struggling plants. 

The lawn has gone from deep green to yellow green with dark black green areas that hit very tender new growth. I don’t really care about the lawn though. 

At least I can’t smell that compost smell of rotting vegetation in the morning now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Reckon this station somewhat represents the frost you had? https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWESTERN860/graph/2020-07-12/2020-07-12/daily

Wow. I’m amazed you found that. I’d say you are right. That station would be less than a km from me as the crow flies. 27.5F minimum. Yikes.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Wow. I’m amazed you found that. I’d say you are right. That station would be less than a km from me as the crow flies. 27.5F minimum. Yikes.

And remember screen temps ( if at the 1.2m level above the ground ) are always warmer than grass temps. Your grass temp could easily be several degrees lower.
That was a belter of a frost, your pics.....

Wunderground is a useful source, of course there  is no QC, just people's home weather stations. From what I see, the sensors on most stations are accurate enough. It's the correct  positioning and keeping sunlight off them which is the hard bit. Most read too high on sunny days, but for overnight lows when solar radiation is not a problem, they are a useful guide 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sipalms said:

Wow... That is plain incredible! Hard to think such a sight could occur so far into the tropics.

Herberton ( nearby town ) has a historical -5c ( 23f ) back in 1958. Elevation  ‎918 m (3,012 ft)

2 hours ago, sipalms said:

Wow... That is plain incredible! Hard to think such a sight could occur so far into the tropics.

It's not unusual to get frost on the Atherton Tablelands during the winter. A lot of people move up there specifically for the cold. That said, I have friends there who flowered an Amorphophallus titanum last year. Of course, they have protection built around it for the cold weather.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, cbmnz said:

Reckon this station somewhat represents the frost you had? https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWESTERN860/graph/2020-07-12/2020-07-12/daily

I had another look at the data from that site now I’ve had time to sit down and digest it and it looks just about right. Minus 2.5C just as the sun came up and then a rapid temp climb. The temp climb may have done more damage too. I have a temp gauge under my patio and it’s always 2 or 3 degrees warmer than out in the open. It was reading 0.9C at the time so that makes it minus 1.1 to minus 2.1C in the open.

The last severe frost we had was in June 2017 while we were away in the UK. I came back to find the carnage, which eventually killed one of my indicas, bronzed off my roebellinis, and even burnt my Strelitzia nicolais. I even lost some canopy protected Howeas that year. So far there is no damage to my Strelitzias, roebellinis, or Howeas. What is concerning though is how often these events happen down here. I need much more canopy and close plantings I reckon........ and many more nikaus. They’re bulletproof.

A bit of unseasonal rain on the Pilbara coast with both Roebourne and Karratha picking up over 50mm (  2" ) this morning. Even Yandi 400klm inland managed 17mm ! 
Heavy July rain is pretty rare and usually means an abnormally cold day as well.
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/out-of-season-heavy-rain-for-parts-of-the-pilbara/532144

Widespread severe frosts up on the New England Tablelands yesterday morning. Many people are genuinely surprised at how cold this district ( Northern NSW ) can get. Generally spanning 29*-31*S, it is plateau country at ( modest ) altitude between 1000m-1300m.
I follow the weather in Armidale, my interest coming from a bit of schooling I did there in my younger days. Armidale has two official BOM weather stations, one in Town and and another 10klm away at the Airport. On cold clear frosty nights, the Town site ( a notorious frost hollow in the valley of Dumaresq Creek ) reads significantly colder than the Airport ( 100m higher on the high plains ) Yesterday morning the Town Site dropped to -8c ( 17.6f ), the Airport -4.8c ( 23.4f ).
The record for Town is -11.2c ( 11.8f ) and the Airport  -7c ( 19.4f ).
Historically, quite a few towns in New England and extending into the Granite Belt over the Queensland border have recorded sub -10's. Stanthorpe ( QLD ) -10.6c ( 12.9f ), Tenterfield -10.6 ( -12.9f ), Glen Innes -12.8c ( 9.0f , Walcha -12.8c ( 9.0f ), Inverell -10.6c ( 12.9f ), and outstandingly for a town at 31*S and 925m asl, Woolbrook has the typical cold winter, mild to warm summer climate of the Northern Tablelands. Although due to the towns location in a deep valley, it records some of the coldest temperatures in the region, and sometimes even in the whole of Australia during the winter months. Woolbrook is fairly sunny, recording 118 clear days on a yearly basis. On 19 June 1994, a temperature of −14.5 °C (5.9 °F) was recorded in the town, the coldest temperature observed anywhere in Australia outside of the Australian Alps.

You don't see many ( if any ? ) palms growing in these cold towns, places that experience some light snowfalls most winters.

Edited by greysrigging
addition to post.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Widespread severe frosts up on the New England Tablelands yesterday morning. Many people are genuinely surprised at how cold this district ( Northern NSW ) can get. Generally spanning 29*-31*S, it is plateau country at ( modest ) altitude between 1000m-1300m.
I follow the weather in Armidale, my interest coming from a bit of schooling I did there in my younger days. Armidale has two official BOM weather stations, one in Town and and another 10klm away at the Airport. On cold clear frosty nights, the Town site ( a notorious frost hollow in the valley of Dumaresq Creek ) reads significantly colder than the Airport ( 100m higher on the high plains ) Yesterday morning the Town Site dropped to -8c ( 17.6f ), the Airport -4.8c ( 23.4f ).
The record for Town is -11.2c ( 11.8f ) and the Airport  -7c ( 19.4f ).
Historically, quite a few towns in New England and extending into the Granite Belt over the Queensland border have recorded sub -10's. Stanthorpe ( QLD ) -10.6c ( 12.9f ), Tenterfield -10.6 ( -12.9f ), Glen Innes -12.8c ( 9.0f , Walcha -12.8c ( 9.0f ), Inverell -10.6c ( 12.9f ), and outstandingly for a town at 31*S and 925m asl, Woolbrook has the typical cold winter, mild to warm summer climate of the Northern Tablelands. Although due to the towns location in a deep valley, it records some of the coldest temperatures in the region, and sometimes even in the whole of Australia during the winter months. Woolbrook is fairly sunny, recording 118 clear days on a yearly basis. On 19 June 1994, a temperature of −14.5 °C (5.9 °F) was recorded in the town, the coldest temperature observed anywhere in Australia outside of the Australian Alps.

You don't see many ( if any ? ) palms growing in these cold towns, places that experience some light snowfalls most winters.

That makes my -2.5C seem positively toasty.

It got to 23.6C near my place today. Blimmin hot for 35S in July. Rain and thunderstorms moving in. 

Sunday drive yesterday, picked out some areas over the hill in the BOP had not been to before and that should be extra frost free. This area right at end of a peninsular likely never sees frost and was very nice it had public walkway right around.  Bananas wind shredded but fruiting,  my neighborhood ones have mostly had the tops die back after the bad frost of July 10th. What struck me was the Queens still looked good even when surrounded by other more tender palms and subtropical plants. Someone unaware might think they were the most "tropical" looking thing on display!  Realise I take them for granted just because they are so common and easy to grow anywhere in top half of NI, even right inland to Taupo, hence they don't seem "exotic" and an indicator of climate. Those who can grow them should be grateful to have the option.20200726_131605.thumb.jpg.c0cf713a1aa64dfa3d1247eb10bd1688.jpg.

20200726_131441.thumb.jpg.93ee864e2485d825912670507f548a2c.jpg 

20200726_132049.jpg

• Like 1

That's a dream climate compared to mine. The Ravenea rivularis looks very happy too.

Ended up getting to 24.4c in Jandakot today which was great for the palms but back down to 20c for the rest of the week now, they're saying 23c for the start of next week.

• Upvote 1

22.4C and 9mm of rain here today. 

Depths of winter in Darwin this morning
Airport 16.4c ( coldest morning since August last year )
Noonamah ( about 35klm south west ) 9.0c.
Middle Point ( about 40klm south east ) 6.4c !
Both Noonamah and Middle Point districts form part of Darwin's extensive rural areas, and at 12.6*S record surprisingly cold mins for the latitude. Middle point dropped to 4.6c in 1965 and 4.8c only last year. Noonamah has had several different recording locations and these have been as low as 4.8c and 6.5c respectively.

116043000_606694343597165_2838517802259059900_n.jpg

115937062_945436312603145_645154838472649481_n.jpg

115929633_1866089896864833_5253145890136117640_n.jpg

My least favourite time of year. Middle point is in the cold air sink along the Adelaide River. They always record the coldest temperatures in the rural area. My place was running around 5 degrees above Noonamah AWS this past week This morning it was only 4 above. The old Noonamah weather station along the river would probably have been the same as Middle Point. This cold surge would have been generated by the east coast low that went through the other day. Relative humidity is still single digits so tomorrow morning is not going to be much better, unless some wind comes up.

• Like 1

The length of this winter just doubled.......16.2c this morning in the northern 'burbs !

The Models are predicting an 'epic' polar blast and associated dump of snow early next week in South Eastern Australia. As usual they chop and change a fair bit this far out, but possibly 2' (50-60cm ) in the Ski Resorts, and even more outstandingly, snow to sea level in Tasmania, including the Hobart CBD. Also snow on the Flinders Ranges in SA, possibly as far north as Wilpena Pound.  The Mt Lofty's at Adelaide might see some too, as will the Barossa Valley high country. Low levels to 200m in south western Victoria and Gippsland. The last time there was sea level snow in Victoria was in 2005. 

247636_44f67dc7c878911b73ab57c6fe5d7df7.png

248150_f26aed8dbe1f8d6a49d2151c065e9eb2.png

Decided to do something stupid and plant a tropical corner while it's still winter. Noticed over past few winters the geranium flowers grow and flower right through winter in this spot. Thanks to canopy of mature Karaka tree and fence seems to be one of last places on section the frost reaches.  Plan to trip the canopy back in spring then let it grow back in autumn as sun gets lower.

20200802_120111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had about 10mm fall today and according to windy.com we may be getting up to 100mm of rain in the next 3 days. Good for rainfall totals. 

Jandakot had 18mm of rain today according to the radio. It was certainly a cold and very wet, dreary day, I do like the cool change that winter provides and I like the rain but I don't like it quite as cold as today was, I think it only got to 16c, not pleasant. 

Since the rain started yesterday we’ve had 50mm of rain with heaps more to come. It only got to 10C today and mostly hovered around 9C. The inflow to my property at the moment I say is about 500 litres per second at a guess. The stream is a raging torrent. I hope it doesn’t wash my palms out of the banks. We need the rain but why does it have to come all at once.

• Like 1

Just watched the news, it only got to 12c in Perth today, the coldest day in 15 years and coldest August day on record. I knew it was cold but didn't realise it was that bad!

• Like 1

83mm of rain now and the place is flooded. Hopefully it doesn’t intensify or the culvert under the road will back it all up and we could get water in the house. Almost the whole property has water standing on it. Never seen anything like this. Here’s hoping the intensity drops off but it looks like it won’t until about 7am. The stream is probably letting in about 1000L a second now. I’ve never seen it rage like that before.

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

83mm of rain now and the place is flooded. Hopefully it doesn’t intensify or the culvert under the road will back it all up and we could get water in the house. Almost the whole property has water standing on it. Never seen anything like this. Here’s hoping the intensity drops off but it looks like it won’t until about 7am. The stream is probably letting in about 1000L a second now. I’ve never seen it rage like that before.

Hope everything is ok for you down there this morning Tyrone.

• Upvote 1

The official figure with this rain event is now over 98mm of rain and it’s still falling.

7F3F5DE7-A3EB-419A-802A-3BC0B1733E9B.jpeg

More

EB07C0A3-6B8D-4FA3-9320-6B12E4EF7313.jpeg

CD0D4D44-383D-4183-88FD-FBEC1557D66F.jpeg

Part of palm garden and lawn underwater. Bamboo area completely awash.

94016860-CFB4-478B-97F6-A77FB6BBD7AF.jpeg

2F19E253-7BB1-4B1B-9116-86BD718978AC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And the rain keeps falling.

We're quite sunny today with no rain but it is still bloody cold, only 14c at present, positively arctic! My coconut will not like this one bit, hope it survives. 

• Like 1