• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter down under

cbmnz

52 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Two successive 15.5c mornings AND a decent earthquake just after lunch !
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/earthquake-felt-in-darwin/529868

We'd call that a summer weekend over here.  LOL. More seriously though, a decent earthquake is hard on the nerves if you're not used to them.

2 hours ago, cbmnz said:

We'd call that a summer weekend over here.  LOL. More seriously though, a decent earthquake is hard on the nerves if you're not used to them.

It fully had my attention.... I have an elevated tropical house and I thought my big flash TV was going to topple off the cabinet....

I remember in the mid through to late seventies in Perth earthquakes were quite common, not NZ standards or anything close but they were often enough that they weren't something that bothered us too much. My dad was a crop duster and we lived in a town called Meckering, east of Perth in 1968 and we were there for a famous earthquake which did a bit of damage around the place. Haven't had one for a long while now though, happy for it to stay that way. Hope Darwin doesn't get any more.

That is a good sharp quake indeed. Probably stronger than any I've felt which have all been of the wobbly/rolling type.

And check out our Winter this morning... screen shots of the outer rural areas south and east of Darwin, and the official Airport site.

65003779_345891089681624_5186549012831928320_n.png

65008648_367058237282496_474610284393136128_n.png

65027512_343176046374165_7656922078737596416_n.png

5C is cold for 12 degrees from the equator.  It's also my yard temp right now at 8:30pm. Start of the cold sequence. Probably see about -2C by morning which isn't worrying me. It's the -4C type frost which last saw in 2015 which does damage that stays visible till late October ish before it grows out.

A fantastic wet June in Perth, the wettest June in 14 years and third wettest on record. If we get the expected rainfall over the next few days we will break the all time record.

Perth’s had all our rain. Not as wet down here. Not dry either. Everything is rich green and has been for months but the real rainfall is all falling north of us.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I've had -1.3 yesterday and-2.0 this morning. Everything seems ok so far but risk period is not over yet. Seems that the longer this cloudless almost windless spell goes on, there is a gradual  loss of heat. Oh well, after this I'll have something to contribute to the freeze damage threads.

Perth’s gone over 200mm for June, the wettest in 14 years. It’s been raining here but not as much as that. We’ve only received just under 70mm of rain for June. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

6 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Perth’s gone over 200mm for June, the wettest in 14 years. It’s been raining here but not as much as that. We’ve only received just under 70mm of rain for June. 

Thats still more rainfall than we've received even, despite our record wet spell during the first half of June. 

I've clocked 165mm here so far this month. Doubt we'll get any more this month either, given the hot, dry spell we are currently in, going up to 35C this weekend.  

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

165mm of rain and then 35C. You’re in the wet subtropics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Thats still more rainfall than we've received even, despite our record wet spell during the first half of June. 

I've clocked 165mm here so far this month. Doubt we'll get any more this month either, given the hot, dry spell we are currently in, going up to 35C this weekend.  

In say, where exactly are you in the UK?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

NZ is looking at getting mighty wet next Wednesday Thursday if the computer models can be believed.

28 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

In say, where exactly are you in the UK?

I live in a village called Compton, which falls under the Springfield parish/area, which is located in the county of Surrey. I'm about 35 miles southeast of London. I don't think I can be any more specific without posting my full address :lol2:

I'm writing this from Washington, East Sussex though. Visiting family. 

• Upvote 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Holland also up to 35-36C degrees but it has not been cold (26-28C) since the last 35C a few days ago.
We however really missed the biggest part of the huge heatwave in Europe at the moment wich more or less peaked today.  France broke his national heat record today with almost 2 degrees. Many place over 40C but the highest was almost 46C. Crazy.  Based on the earlier forecasts if this heatwave stretched a bit more north than it did now we would probably also had a big chance on breaking our national heat record. 

5d164434ece0b.jpg

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

@Exotic Life I think there is a slim chance we may actually break the all-time record tomorrow. The heat has really pushed through into the UK now and it is going to be very hot in the southeast tomorrow. We have 34C forecast, but I will take that with a pinch of salt as they have been underestimating the highs in recent days. The BBC only forecasted a high of 22C for me today, whereas it ended up reaching 29C at 4pm here. So they had underestimated the high by 7C. Probably due to the clear, sunny skies all day, allowing the temperature to just keep rising. 

Given that we have 34C forecast tomorrow, as well as clear, sunny skies... I am expecting us to hit the 100 degree F mark, in my neck of the woods. I am very close to Wisley which routinely records the highest temperatures in the UK each year. I recorded 37C on 3 separate occasions last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the 35-40C range again. Although we'd do well to beat the record, which stands at 38.5C.

Well, just 48hrs on but already getting an idea that Bangalow has some resistance to frost. This after -1.3 , then -2.0C. New fronds under cloth still look perfect. Old frond not under cloth already looked like that from transplant shock, has not got any worse.

20190629_101350.jpg

Bangalows are pretty tough.

19 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

Holland also up to 35-36C degrees but it has not been cold (26-28C) since the last 35C a few days ago.
We however really missed the biggest part of the huge heatwave in Europe at the moment wich more or less peaked today.  France broke his national heat record today with almost 2 degrees. Many place over 40C but the highest was almost 46C. Crazy.  Based on the earlier forecasts if this heatwave stretched a bit more north than it did now we would probably also had a big chance on breaking our national heat record. 

5d164434ece0b.jpg

France can keep its record heat. That’s hotter than ever recorded here. Too hot.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

France can keep its record heat. That’s hotter than ever recorded here. Too hot.

Yeah, 45C is brutally hot considering they are only at 43N latitude in Europe. And it is especially hot considering it is only June still. 

We have just hit 36C here at 2pm. At this time of year, the hottest point of the day isn't until around 4-5pm. So we're definitely hitting 100F (38C) this afternoon under the clear skies. Possibly close to 105F (40C) in some places.

You know its hot and dry when the Phoenix Dactylifera and Cocos Nucifera start wilting...

On 6/29/2019 at 2:48 PM, Tyrone said:

Indeed. Too hot. 
The heatwave more or less peaked this weekend in France and they will have a relative cool down next week when temperatures are back in the range 32-36C
Still warm but that is normal for them, specially in the South of France during summer. 

Southwest

Had ice on the car this morning and then a sunny 19C day. The rain comes back tomorrow. We need a heap of it now.

Had 50mm of rain in the last couple of days. Everything is saturated. The neighbours dam is filling up fast and once it overflows it starts filling my lake system. It will be great to see them full to the brim again. Everything opening new spears despite the cool conditions.

-1.3C this morning. Only 3 hours below freezing,  The palms are just laughing at this cold.

Stranded in Sydney at the moment due to heavy fog this morning, all ferry services were cancelled this morning until about 10.30am and flights were cancelled at Sydney airport. It's going to be a long night waiting at the airport waiting for the backlog to clear!

23 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Stranded in Sydney at the moment due to heavy fog this morning, all ferry services were cancelled this morning until about 10.30am and flights were cancelled at Sydney airport. It's going to be a long night waiting at the airport waiting for the backlog to clear!

One of the benefits of being a FIFO......Qantas Club.....free food, free beer lol !
Been stuck there / delayed more times than I care to remember.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

One of the benefits of being a FIFO......Qantas Club.....free food, free beer lol !
Been stuck there / delayed more times than I care to remember.

Virgin have been pretty good to us, they gave us a free feed which helped.  At least we're boarding now.

As you would expect for mid winter,  there has been a fair old winter outbreak in the south east in the last few days.
Central Highlands, Tasmania.
66634226_502966277113052_347777190017892352_n.jpg.99a717d7cfe7418ac0d021fe989eaf25.jpg
Cradle Mountain, Tasmania
66976883_2564876090189059_7202016146520801280_n.jpg.a61498ab043ca46ced4c308d2b6a6726.jpg.
Mt Buller, Victorian Alps
67231460_934271500250152_3521125686611804160_n.png.e12b17b37c764cd05cc181d7c5dced8e.png

• Like 2

Been dry over here underneath the high. Ice on the windscreen this morning and a sunny 21C day.

22 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Been dumping down in the Victorian Alps
66825293_2258428757596920_2582444254605344768_n.png.2ca0e3a51d2315c57be07be57ca6b69a.png

That looks beautiful! I've never seen snow but I'm hoping to take my family next year.

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

That looks beautiful! I've never seen snow but I'm hoping to take my family next year.

Its cold.... and in Australia generally wet as our temps don't get cold enough. Our ski field are very marginal temp wise....the saving grace is the extremely high precipitation in the Alps.

!67334381_2345258422407559_6789944627521650688_n.png.bb573efbc11518da35df7e4e6477cdf6.png
Wow - check out Glen Innes this morning with a minimum of -12.3C! This makes it one of the coldest temperatures ever recorded in the town (just shy of the -12.8C record which was recorded in 2002 and again in 2008, 11 years ago).

What's impressive is that the town spent several hours with a temperature below -10C!

We saw more cold temperatures across Queensland this morning too with many locations continuing their chilly run. Ipswich had its 6th consecutive morning below 0C also, their longest run of negative temperatures since August 2012.
( ^^ quote from a local FB page )

That's chilly for <30S even at 1000m ASL , the Chateau Tongariro at 39S, 1100m ASL has the North Island NZ lowest record at -13.6C way back in 1937. 

Blowing a gale outside, cold and rainy, with a strong westerly flow and not much room between the isobars. Water is now flowing into my property from next door.

-12.3C is colder than anything I have ever recorded here. That's crazy cold for anywhere in Australia, even the Victorian Alps.

You might be having record cold over there, but we could be getting record breaking heat. We are just about to enter another heatwave, starting tomorrow. Highs of around 30C on Monday, but that is rising to 38C (100F) by midweek. Overnight lows of around 22-23C on Wednesday & Thursday.

30-40% chance of London breaking its temperature record on Wednesday or Thursday, which currently stands at 38.5C (101F), I think. Looks like August is going to be very hot, akin to the summers of 2016, 2011 & 2003.