• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter down under

cbmnz

14 hours ago, Bennz said:

Tyrone, sorry can you remind me, are you in a cold frost hollow?  Or are those temps you get normal for the area? It seems a lot colder than I would expect for that area.  

No frost anywhere near the house here, coldest night I've recorded so far was 6C. But we got frost up on the hilltops, back valley at 300m elevation and no air drainage the leaves of Ficus columnaris are black, even Alnus cremastogyne foliage is burned brown. The Ficus just up the hillsides slightly are untouched, amazing how much difference even a few metres can make.  Feral deer are more of an issue than frost though, the number of Ficus columnaris seedlings I've lost to deer is now in the hundreds.

I’m in a valley so yes it can get cold here. The temps I mentioned were in town on the coast. It’s been a mental couple of weeks weather wise.

Will your columnaris come back. What minimum do they take before any damage. I’m growing a heap of them and am eager to know how they will perform. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I don't know how much frost they can take Tyrone, but I suspect there might be huge variation from individual to individual. I'll let you know in 6 months if they survive! I've lost them both previous times I've tried them in the back valley, but everywhere else on the farm they seem fine, occaisonal light leaf damage in coldest spots only.  As I said, only a couple metres of elevation is the difference between burned black and untouched. Some of mine are starting to look pretty good now. I've planted just over 1000, I really like these trees.

P1020043.jpg

P1020045.jpg

• Upvote 1

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

On 5/28/2020 at 4:37 PM, Bennz said:

I don't know how much frost they can take Tyrone, but I suspect there might be huge variation from individual to individual. I'll let you know in 6 months if they survive! I've lost them both previous times I've tried them in the back valley, but everywhere else on the farm they seem fine, occaisonal light leaf damage in coldest spots only.  As I said, only a couple metres of elevation is the difference between burned black and untouched. Some of mine are starting to look pretty good now. I've planted just over 1000, I really like these trees.

P1020043.jpg

P1020045.jpg

Where were those pics taken? They’re amazing trees.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Spot on with the date ( 1st June ) the first day of winter ( by calendar, not by the sun as is regarded in the US ie the Solstices )
Heavy snowfalls in the ski fields that may extend north along the ranges as far as the Queensland border districts.
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/snowy-start-to-winter/531564

On 5/31/2020 at 12:58 AM, Tyrone said:

Where were those pics taken? They’re amazing trees.

My place!

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Warming up a bit for the first week of winter, last week was very wet and very cold.

Screenshot_20200602-182731_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bennz said:

My place!

How old are those Ficus? Did you plant them?

10 hours ago, Tyrone said:

How old are those Ficus? Did you plant them?

That's actually the same tree from different angles, but got several others almost that age. I planted it in 1998.

This one here was from the seed I collected on LHI in 1999, probably planted 2000 or 2001;

P1020051.jpg

I've got heaps of pictures of younger trees growing here, just have to find them! I must take a picure of deer-damage too, shows what a tasty tree this thing is.

• Like 1

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

6 hours ago, Bennz said:

That's actually the same tree from different angles, but got several others almost that age. I planted it in 1998.

This one here was from the seed I collected on LHI in 1999, probably planted 2000 or 2001;

P1020051.jpg

I've got heaps of pictures of younger trees growing here, just have to find them! I must take a picure of deer-damage too, shows what a tasty tree this thing is.

So in about 20 years you can get quite an impressive tree going with curtain roots and everything. That is so cool. Ive got quite a few of these now as well as the standard Ficus macrophylla and they will become my canopy in time. I planted some in March and put them into about 100L of blended manures in each hole plus good irrigation. You could see growth every day. They are fast. My plan is to eventually put tonnes of R sapida and R bauerii out under their canopy in time. Eventually I'll get rid of the sheep paddock and plant tonnes of Ficus. Grass is so over rated.

Hopefully they'll be the climate moderaters I need and will break any frost or cold air drainage issues in the future just by their mass of foliage. Its very cool to see your plants looking so good and doing exactly what I want to do here. :)

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

So in about 20 years you can get quite an impressive tree going with curtain roots and everything. That is so cool. Ive got quite a few of these now as well as the standard Ficus macrophylla and they will become my canopy in time. I planted some in March and put them into about 100L of blended manures in each hole plus good irrigation. You could see growth every day. They are fast. My plan is to eventually put tonnes of R sapida and R bauerii out under their canopy in time. Eventually I'll get rid of the sheep paddock and plant tonnes of Ficus. Grass is so over rated.

Hopefully they'll be the climate moderaters I need and will break any frost or cold air drainage issues in the future just by their mass of foliage. Its very cool to see your plants looking so good and doing exactly what I want to do here. :)

Tyrone I suspect your trees will be faster than mine, you're closer to the equator and warmer overall, probably sunnier too (about 2300hrs here). The only advantage I have is less defined med rainfall pattern, although we still usually have dry summers and wet winters. And no frost here on the coastal 200 acres.

I want to see pictures of your nikau/banyan grove eventually! I'll be trying the same thing, race you to the finished product?

• Upvote 1

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Ben, I irrigate all my landscape through the spring to autumn period and the odd dry period through winter. That would produce essentially a more even “rainfall” scenario than what would naturally occur here so soil moisture would probably peak in the spring autumn periods. Nothing is allowed to dry out ever.

Talking about dry periods in winter, we are having a real mild start to winter. I’ve still got the heater going in the house but we are getting maximums in the 19-22 range for the foreseeable future. Yesterday was a sunny 21.4C. I irrigated last night as we haven’t had rain for a few days now.

Btw, you have more sunshine hours than me. You have 2300 I have 2001 according to the web.

I think you will beat me to a fully fledged Banyan nikau forest. I will post up pics along the way. 

Looks like the coming week will be quite warm and dry, great for the palms but not so good for the dams or our farmers. Hopefully some more rain will be along soon, we need it.

Screenshot_20200604-121149_Chrome.jpg

The weather is looking a bit monotonous and warm here too. Days around 20, 21 with an 18C in there and nights around 9-12C. Not far from winter solstice either. My Butia continues to push flower spikes and open flowers. It’s so confused at the moment.

Looks like a monster ridge of high pressure next week stretching from all the way from W.A. to way East of NZ! Could mean some more frosts for me, will come down to where it centres. Bought this King on the weekend for only NZ 36 it will live under covered patio until it gets too large. Also got a H. Belmoreana for only a little more, thinking it might be viable long term in a shady but well protected spot against the house.

20200605_190350.jpg

• Like 2

A Darwin winter's evening....lol
"Anyone else sweating atm ?
Its dark, its the 'dry', its damn near 28c ( 82f) and 20c ( 68f ) DP and 63% humidity.....bring on the build up..":
A sweaty Top End winters, night.

102932173_3578280665522010_5954292048568044709_o.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, greysrigging said:

A Darwin winter's evening....lol
"Anyone else sweating atm ?
Its dark, its the 'dry', its damn near 28c ( 82f) and 20c ( 68f ) DP and 63% humidity.....bring on the build up..":
A sweaty Top End winters, night.

Agreed, definitely bring on the build-up. Unfortunately, we still have a few months of this yo-yo weather to contend with. If the whole dry season was like today, minimum dropped down to 20.5C here, I'd find it bearable. Wet season can't come soon enough.

A photo from the other day, last of Autumn colour contrasting with more tropical looking palms. Never really thought about it but a latitude in the 30's is quite a cross over zone, a place like Sydney could pull this off also.20200601_153243.thumb.jpg.5548c75025f40af384dbd39195a45a91.jpg

Edited by cbmnz
  • Like 1

So far winter is looking quite mild down here. We are averaging over 9C minimum for June so far. No real mega cold events coming up for at least two weeks which takes us past the winter solstice. May it continue.

• Upvote 1

Our winter just not happening atm...
"Given there's not much to talk about on a boring ( Top End weather wise ) Saturday, some stats and figures for June temp wise...
Atm we are ( Airport ) running just over 1c above the long term max and mins for June.
The trends since the well below average Junes of 2011 and 2012 have been above average every year since ( except June 2019 was slightly below mins at 19c ).
Remember June 2016 was the 'dry from Hell' with record max and min averages for the month 33.2c and 23.0c.
June 2011 must have been the stand out classic 'dry' with average max and mins of 29.0c and 16.1c. ( I missed that June working in WA )
Darwin Airport.
Minimum Temps Averages June.
Mean - 19.9c.
Highest - 23.0c in 2016.
Lowest - 16.1c in 2011.
Maximum Temps Averages June.
Mean - 30.7c
Highest - 33.2c in 2016.
Lowest - 28.7c in 1949
Record max 34.6c in 2016.
Record min 12.1c in 1963."

Looks like a cold spot around the botanic gardens in Christchurch this morning. Hope the fine grove of Rhopies there come through it ok.

20200614_071447.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Looks like a cold spot around the botanic gardens in Christchurch this morning. Hope the fine grove of Rhopies there come through it ok.

20200614_071447.jpg

Yikes. Too cold. Hopefully the tree canopy will help in the botanic gardens.

9 hours ago, cbmnz said:

20200614_071447.jpg

Was frigid here this morning, -5.5 at the airport. I would say those rhopies will be fine, probably get a bit of frying on the outer fronds though...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maxed out at 34.1c in Darwin today.... bit ordinary and only .5c below the June record. Forecast 34c again tomorrow. 

Darwin broke the record max temp for June ( at the Airport since 1942, previously the Port Office in Town that copped a direct hit from a Jap bomb in Feb 1942 ).
New record 35c ( 95f ).
104289276_326207648698127_6674855256813866183_n.jpg.c26c17ba3ffedeaebd63d2ed8b0d035b.jpg

2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Darwin broke the record max temp for June ( at the Airport since 1942, previously the Port Office in Town that copped a direct hit from a Jap bomb in Feb 1942 ).
New record 35c ( 95f ).
104289276_326207648698127_6674855256813866183_n.jpg.c26c17ba3ffedeaebd63d2ed8b0d035b.jpg

Wow, at this time of year!

7 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Wow, at this time of year!

The last 2 days have been filthy.... high DP's and humidity and a hot wind from the East.... lots of fires out in the bush.

11 hours ago, greysrigging said:

The last 2 days have been filthy.... high DP's and humidity and a hot wind from the East.... lots of fires out in the bush.

This map (copy I extracted from the original) gives the current (16/6/2020) fire situation over the Top End. Most fires would be prescribed burns and not wild fires. Period for wild fires is mainly July through to September, or later depending on the rains.

The blue on the map is 1 to 7 days old, red is 0 to 24 hours old. Scaling in on the map gives finer details. The map is generated from geospatial data scanned by satellites and updated 4 to 7 times a day.

NAFI200616c.jpg.70d22e98154e318a4a81a8892b2ba0ea.jpg

Well June has been a warmer and drier than average start to winter down here. Heaps of double digit minimums and days in the high teens to low twenties. Going for 21C today with low humidity 49% before a cold front hits which the bom has put a wind warning out for destructive winds then a bit of rain for two days. Then it’s back to highs in the mid teens and nights in the single digits. We will have shifted a gear into winter after this front I think.

• Like 1

10.4C windy and rainy here at 11.30am. The max was 12.8C earlier and the temp keeps dropping. I’m in a heated office rugged up with my beany on. Winter is here.

28 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

10.4C windy and rainy here at 11.30am. The max was 12.8C earlier and the temp keeps dropping. I’m in a heated office rugged up with my beany on. Winter is here.

Not much better up here Tyrone, I'm at work in Maddington and it's 16c, cold, rainy and windy.

• Like 1

Looks like going to get through June with no frost here after 3 sub zero dips around May 20. Ferns and Rhopies are loving this modeate weather.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2.1C minimum here this morning. Coldest so far for the year.

We had a balmy 14.1C minimum last night and a bit of rain after a beautiful sunny day. June has turned out to be quite mild this year.

GFS has the stars (mis)aligning especially Friday morning here but ECMWF disagrees. Frost risk from tomorrow so have defenses ready.

I should try the vapour guard I bought to test. Potentially sacrifice a potted pepper plant in the name of science. Spray it then leave it way out in the open on the street verge.

2020-06-29_20-15.png

This is after the whole of June has been frost free resulting in excellent growing conditions. Hard to believe this same farm Feb 2020 to June 2020.

2020-06-29_20-14.png

2020-06-29_20-16.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We've had 40mm of rain since yesterday and there's more to come tomorrow,  it's a great end to June.

• Upvote 2

We’ve had 328mm of rain for the year so far but we are still 80mm behind where we should be. Still we are ahead of last year this time by about 100mm. 

• Like 1

-1.7C this morning. Didn't freeze near the house at all. If this is as heavy a shot as this winter has to fire , it will  be a piece of cake to get everything through.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1