IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frost warning for southern Ontario tonight

Rickybobby

Possible frost. This has been a horrible spring here. Only a few days in 70s. Rain almost every other day tons of flooding in areas. Normally it’s safe to put tropical non cold hardy palms outside about now or a week after. Seems like the weather is pushing it. Usually here in the tobacco belt. It’s not planted until our May 2-4 weekend holiday. Usually after that lows start to get warmer. Let’s go already spring! 

I feel you man.  Here in MA we’ve been stuck in a cold and wet weather pattern all spring.  Philadelphia is 80 degrees and we are 50 with rain.... I’ve only had 2 days touch 70 and most nights low 40s.  Where is spring?!

It's been a lousy Spring here too, coastal NJ/Zone 7a; to summarize, DEPRESSING.  The overcast is monotonous even when not downright chilly. Today was in the 70s but the perpetual overcast is still awful.  But I am actually about to put on the air because of the humidity. This season reminds me a lot of last year!  It was an equally lousy, overcast Spring and then it turned HUMID, STEAMY and very RAINY. Definitely BAD for wanting to work, eat, do anything outside.  Like a second Winter, only this time staying inside with air as the outside humidity made it insufferable and hard to breath.  There has been a lot of academic writing on the increasing likelihood of weather getting STUCK in persistent, aberrational patterns and it's not restricted to particular areas of country or planet. Just listen to the news.  

6 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Possible frost. This has been a horrible spring here. Only a few days in 70s. Rain almost every other day tons of flooding in areas. Normally it’s safe to put tropical non cold hardy palms outside about now or a week after. Seems like the weather is pushing it. Usually here in the tobacco belt. It’s not planted until our May 2-4 weekend holiday. Usually after that lows start to get warmer. Let’s go already spring! 

Climate change. 

Wishing the best!  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

We are getting a dose of yall weather with 2 days of 50s during the day and 40s at night then back to the 80s. Basically due to the constant rains...heres hoping the rain lightens up and we get a reprieve. But I fell bad for yall as we got robbed of spring for a good mess of the season.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I look at pics of last year and around this time is sunny and gorgeous outside everyday. I could also see my palms outside already. So oh well. Maybe we will have an awesome summer and fall. And like I mentioned my palms are growing well indoors anyway so it’s not like there unhealthy just outdoors is better!

From what my parents have been telling me it seems like winter has come late the last couple years and persisted well into spring.  Almost like a 4-6 week shift.  The live in Niagara so by this time it's usually getting pretty hot and steamy.  The golf courses were open in Jan and Feb, but have been closed a lot lately due to all the flooding.