IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trying Carpoxylon macrospermum in SoCal

joe_OC

Inspired by Matt’s write up in the PSSC Palm Journal, I got one from George Sparkman to try in my front yard. It gets sun from morning until 3pm.  

F9DA11B9-174C-462E-9640-B0FAE2B93445.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

Inspired by Matt’s write up in the PSSC Palm Journal, I got one from George Sparkman to try in my front yard. It gets sun from morning until 3pm.  

Joe, I can already see this will eventually be a long string with plenty of updates over the years!  Wish you success with it!

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Joe, you go, bro!

Let us know . . .

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

That's gonna be a lot of sun for it to start off.  I'd hang a shade cloth for a few years.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

How much sun was yours getting, Matt?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Really wanted that palm too but it's not gonna make it where I am, so I am going to live vicariously through you! Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

So... this palm cant grow in California?

Good grief. Seems this beautiful palm gets the same rap (or worse) as a Cocos nucifera in Cali...

Good luck! And do your best. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Good grief. Seems this beautiful palm gets the same rap (or worse) as a Cocos nucifera in Cali...

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Matty's got a beautiful one growing in So Cal. 

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

This palm have proven tough for me in FL and has nothing to do with cold, it's just a tough palm to keep happy.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I had two of these die on me before I succeeded with the 3rd. I grew it to 7g size and planted it in partial shade on a ridge overlooking our canal.  Photo shows it as of 2018. It loves the heat, humidity and summer rain. They are tricky palms to grow if their demands aren't met. I agree with Matt: shield yours with shade cloth over the your dry summer.

Carpoxylon macrosperma, Cape Coral, FL  2018

Carpoxylon_macrospermum_01_05-26-18.thumb.jpg.164638d6ef65afb061fd5bb2662225d3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Matty's got just the right zone for growing this in SoCal. His looks awesome. I have tried them twice near the coast. In each case they grew reasonably well for about 3 years, but then were taken out by a cool, damp, extended Winter. Being more inland, I suspect that Matty's temps warm up quicker than mine do on a daily basis which has to help with this species. I don't think I'll try this one again, as beautiful as it is.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

That’s why I planted mine where I did.  There is a lanceolata to the left of it that provides it protection from the summer sun, but the wall will provide it radiant heat during the winters.

Thats why I got a very large one for CA standards to have some mass to it to handle the cool winters.  We’ll see.  Definitely worth a try.  

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

In summer heat they do not tolerate any dry soil. So keep moist in the heat but in the cool of winter don't get them too wet and don't let them completely dry out. It's a tight rope in winter just giving them what they want without over doing it. I had a nice one growing in my Perth garden. Then my tenants turned the irrigation off in summer and it just died and rotted away just leaving a shrivelled corpse. :(

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Looks like you got a nice sized plant to start with Joe. I hope it does well for you. Matty’s looks great and it would be nice to see more people pull this off in So Cal. They really are a perfect palm in my opinion with their overall shape and coloring. Not many palms come close to Carpoxylon! 

• Like 1

I joined the party also along with Joe, but mine gets full sun until late. I had a very small one in the same location in a pot that did fine with no screen. I put up some screen to give it a chance to adapt and looks like its already helping with the burn in with our dry conditions. The burn on the left leaf occurred before we picked up the palm. Only time will tell, but so far it is a very slow mover. Hopefully will pickup speed as it gets warmer.

Resized_20190507_160113_3382.jpeg

• Like 3

MLW

13 hours ago, joe_OC said:

That’s why I planted mine where I did.  There is a lanceolata to the left of it that provides it protection from the summer sun, but the wall will provide it radiant heat during the winters.

Thats why I got a very large one for CA standards to have some mass to it to handle the cool winters.  We’ll see.  Definitely worth a try.  

YOU

ARE

NUTTY!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 7 months later...

Time for an update!  Palm has opened two fronds for me so far.  Emerging frond is about two feet tall.  The older fronds have held up much better than I had anticipated.  Palm is holding 4.5 fronds at this time.  Here is a pic of it taken just moments ago:

35949DC8-ED2B-4DB6-A0AF-290E8AB69481.thumb.jpeg.f2394afc16fce5d25779819b38a3d66e.jpeg

• Like 9

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 2 months later...

First Winter is pretty a wrap.  The Palm has done well with the cold so far.  It did not yellow as bad as I had thought.  New spear is about 30” tall.  Hope to get two new fronds again this year.  

D174A639-3E7E-4199-A43A-BE482467D363.jpeg

0D16AEA9-9636-484A-97B4-9CF12180B6F9.jpeg

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 5 months later...

Nice work getting that through its first winter.  That's no small feat.  So, how's it doing now with all the summer heat? Should be loving it as long as you're keeping it wet.

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's doing fine.  Has a new emerging spear coming out.  I did lose the latest frond to super hot, dry winds.  Completely dried it out when it was still just opening.  Did not have time to harden up.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they're difficult to acclimate to our hot dry sun.  Mine is very well established and it's burning again because I cut down a large foxtail that was above it.  Cool thing is that the two most recent leaves have come out really compact and recurved.  Super rad look, which is what I wanted all along.

• Like 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

CAN CARPOXYLON, TAKE FULL SUN, AND WINDY DAYS, WHEN 5 G ? OR NEED SHADE ? AND PLENTY WATER? CAN THEY COPE WITH SANDY SOILS ?

• 2 months later...

Any soil recommendations? Just keep the palm/cactus mix moist?

Anything to add to the pot to help these beasts?

Thanks if you can share your knowledge.

Ben

On 11/5/2020 at 11:25 AM, Frond-friend42 said:

Any soil recommendations? Just keep the palm/cactus mix moist?

Anything to add to the pot to help these beasts?

Thanks if you can share your knowledge.

Ben

Mine likes a lot of water.  Responds very well to heat, but not full sun.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 9/2/2020 at 5:11 PM, Patrick Palms said:

CAN CARPOXYLON, TAKE FULL SUN, AND WINDY DAYS, WHEN 5 G ? OR NEED SHADE ? AND PLENTY WATER? CAN THEY COPE WITH SANDY SOILS ?

I don't know what your full sun is like.  I am a believer that palms should grow into the sun.  If you have sandy soil, you will need to amend organics or fertilize

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 11 months later...