SilverDragon

Seedling assistance

SilverDragon

Hey guys. For the past few months my Washingtonian adonidia have been growing quite happily. I'm just wondering if I should move them up to slightly larger pots now?

15572813066919131904633993906237.jpg

Neil C

Those pots are still huge. I wouldn't move them for at least a year, maybe two.

Regards Neil

• Like 1

HtownPalms

I am growing my first batch of palm seedlings ever.  My seedlings are about the same size as yours. Two weeks ago I decided to move a few from their starter pots to 3 gallon pots. I transplanted 10 Chamaerops humilis and 3 Archontophoenix maxima.  So far I have lost all 3 A. Maxima and about 4 C. Humilis. Fortunately I have many more seedlings, but I am going to wait a lot longer on the rest before transplanting them. 

• Like 1

Rickybobby

I myself put sprouted seeds in a community pot or beer cups and leave them in there for a year before Transplanting them. Mainly for drainage and of course space. It adds up when you have 100 seedlings 

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

Leave them alone.They (Adonidias) will be a tough grow for you in OH under any circumstances. Once your weather is reliably hot and humid, consider moving them outdoors in a protected spot and away from your dark, dry house.

What do you mean Washingtonian Adonidias? Two species? Adonidias are tropical Asian species, very cold sensitive. Washingtonians are temperate palms that are much hardier. You can't treat them both exactly the same. The Washies will benefit from being outdoors during your humid summers and can take colder temps.

• Like 1

SilverDragon
3 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Leave them alone.They (Adonidias) will be a tough grow for you in OH under any circumstances. Once your weather is reliably hot and humid, consider moving them outdoors in a protected spot and away from your dark, dry house.

What do you mean Washingtonian Adonidias? Two species? Adonidias are tropical Asian species, very cold sensitive. Washingtonians are temperate palms that are much hardier. You can't treat them both exactly the same. The Washies will benefit from being outdoors during your humid summers and can take colder temps.

That must've been a typo. I have A merrillii and W robusta.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So one of my Washingtonia robusta started to go yellow and then the edges went brown and it slowly died. Then, two of my other Washingtonia have started to do the same thing a while back, but are still alive. Now, my final healthy one is starting to show the very beginning stages (slight yellowing in the oldest leaf). Then some of my Saw palmetto seedlings started to show "symptoms" and now it seems like my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana is showing it a little bit, although it fortunately doesn't seem to be progressing much. I can't tell if this is some sort of disease (I don't understand how potted palms indoors in Virginia would get a palm disease) or if they have some sort of fungus. Should I completely soak them in copper fungicide? I'm not going to lie, I am kind of freaking out a bit. Any advice would be helpful. I am not new to growing palms indoors during the winter and have been watering them each as I believe they should be watered while indoors (for example, Washingtonia get the least amount of water, to prevent rot). What could this be? Can I save these? I never had this problem before. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have many palms. Most of them are very happy palms because I love them and we treat them well. In turn, they reward us with bountiful crops of seeds. I've learned there is scant interest in seeds of very tropical palms, esp. "common" ones that grow fast and get large no matter how beautiful they are. Today we got out the pole saw to stop these palms from burying us alive in seeds. We ended up with the pile of aborted infructescenses you see in the photos. Sad, I know, but necessary.
      For anyone interested, that pile includes the following species as I can best remember:
      Adonidia merrillii
      Veitchia joannis
      Veitchia spiralis
      Veitchia winin
      Carpentaria acuminata
      Dypsis pembana
      Coccothrinax sp
      Archonotophoenix tuckeri
      Archonotophoenix maxima
      Ptychosperma elegans

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      One of my Washingtonia robusta seedlings leaned sideways a bit when it was in the community pot and started to grow that way. I potted it up with the base of the small trunk pointing up. Will this seedling straighten out? 

• SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      I literally just screenshot this off of my buddy's Instagram story just now (please ignore the silly shark lol). I couldn't help but notice what looked like Washingtonias, but he is in SC near Myrtle Beach. Do Washies actually manage to get this big in Myrtle? I do see the dead trunk on the left, however...