IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just picked up a 7g bottle palm

Rickybobby

Today I finally got a chance to pick up my new hyophorbe lagenicalis. The health of all the palms of the nursery looked good. Too my surprise when I yanked it out of the pot to put it in something more decorative I noticed a huge amount of I think slug eggs. So I hosed  them out with warm water for quite a while and I’m prettt sure I got 99 percent of them. Hopefully everything works out. For now the palm will be in my palm room for two more weeks. At that time the lows here will start to get warmer. Our days are beautiful right now but just a few odd days of high 30s are enough to keep it inside 

CC3977AC-A5AE-49FD-9333-61689B5C6742.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Good luck with the bottle palm. I have two right now. The ones I have seen to be pretty hearty. They didn't seem to look as stressed during this past winter as my Foxtail palm. They actually kept growing at a pretty decent pace unlike my other palms. 

1 hour ago, HtownPalms said:

Good luck with the bottle palm. I have two right now. The ones I have seen to be pretty hearty. They didn't seem to look as stressed during this past winter as my Foxtail palm. They actually kept growing at a pretty decent pace unlike my other palms. 

When I pulled it out of the pot. A couple tips of the bottom roots had rotted I tried my best to prune it off. I repotted with better draining medium and clay pebbles on the bottom and I’m hoping for the. Best. I think my issues the last few years is that the palms we get up here have some root damage that you can’t see and the palms don’t survive  long term 

Good luck with it. I have the opposite problem buying palm trees around here. It's usually so hot combined with the fact that the trees are underwatered to begin with that they are dried out. 

Either way the bottle palm in your picture looks good. 

Edited by HtownPalms

Pretty bottle palm.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice, good luck!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

• 1 month later...

This bottle has been out this spear since May. A second spear is pushing fast bottle base is growing up a ton. I got impatient and decided to help this spear a bit. I once and a while twist it side toode which frees up the leaflets a tad. Today when I did that the bottom leaves popped right up so I proceeded to free them up a tad and the spear opened quite a bit. It seems to be just fine but finally looks great 

C75BB714-7389-4999-BCCC-A96E038AC8B6.jpeg

• Like 1

How do clean the leaf bases off?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

How do clean the leaf bases off?

I use scissors but it’s not as clean as you think. But I wait until the old dead part is dried right out and I carefully peel it off and trim anything left with the scissors 

1 minute ago, Rickybobby said:

I use scissors but it’s not as clean as you think. But I wait until the old dead part is dried right out and I carefully peel it off and trim anything left with the scissors 

To what point? And how deep?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Here's an example of one. Yes. It is being watered daily (after the sun sets). Just that this summer sun has been brutal.

20190705_151751.jpg

20190705_153037.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

For me I’m no pro if they seem to come off. The oldest I mean than that’s all I do. I don’t want to force and cause issues with the crownshafta 

On 7/4/2019 at 1:55 PM, Rickybobby said:

This bottle has been out this spear since May. A second spear is pushing fast bottle base is growing up a ton. I got impatient and decided to help this spear a bit. I once and a while twist it side to side which frees up the leaflets a tad. Today when I did that the bottom leaves popped right up so I proceeded to free them up a tad and the spear opened quite a bit. It seems to be just fine but finally looks great 

I had a spindle do that too, it was really odd.  Usually the spear grows up to it's mature length, the leaves start opening, and *then* the new spear pokes up.  I had a spindle that had a fully grown spear and 6" of a new one sticking out, but it hadn't opened the old one yet.  I was thinking it could be a boron deficiency, but the tip appeared to be almost glued together.  I separated the tip and it opened about half of the leaves within a day or two.  A little more minor unsticking of the leaflet tips and the rest of the frond opened normally.  That palm hasn't grown a new full spear since, it's probably about 2/3 of the way done.  So I'll see in a few weeks if the new one opens normally or not!

Edited by Merlyn2220

15 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I had a spindle do that too, it was really odd.  Usually the spear grows up to it's mature length, the leaves start opening, and *then* the new spear pokes up.  I had a spindle that had a fully grown spear and 6" of a new one sticking out, but it hadn't opened the old one yet.  I was thinking it could be a boron deficiency, but the tip appeared to be almost glued together.  I separated the tip and it opened about half of the leaves within a day or two.  A little more minor unsticking of the leaflet tips and the rest of the frond opened normally.  That palm hasn't grown a new full spear since, it's probably about 2/3 of the way done.  So I'll see in a few weeks if the new one opens normally or not!

I agree it was strange. Usually the frond is up and out and a few days later a new one emerged. So when I saw a new one coming up quick it made me think. The leaflets were so stuck together and everything was mature. So just a gentle twist and some careful hands and at least they can help make food. It is super slow to open fully still but looks fine no damage or discolouration. 

My spindle that had the "stuck frond" just opened up a new normal-looking one this morning.  I guess it was further along than I thought!  So it was either a random occurrence or the fertilizer + micros I gave it in May did the trick!

On 5/7/2019 at 5:42 PM, Rickybobby said:

9EB82643-3E64-49CD-85A6-880DCAE75A89.jpeg

Bubbles in the background lol...palms look great too!

Edited by SilverDragon

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright