IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this Kentiopsis Magnifica? Help ID small palm

palmtodd

Hi, can anyone help me ID this Kentiopsis ?   

It's not Oliviformis.  Some years ago I ordered seedlings from Floribunda of K. Magnifica, K. Piersoniorum, and K. Pyriformis.
This is the only survivor and it does open with the red new leaf.  Kind of hard to see in the photo but theres still a tiny red on the new leaf tip which is still opening.
It has a darkish tomentum coloration on the petioles . 

I just planted it today and am pretty happy regardless of which species it is.  : )

THANKS

IMG_7994.JPG

IMG_7997.JPG

IMG_8002.JPG

IMG_7992.JPG

IMG_7998.JPG

IMG_8005.JPG

IMG_8004.JPG

Your palm looks a lot like my baby K. pyriformis, at least superficially. Based on the coloring of the stems, we can probably rule out piersoniorum. But I would not rule out magnifica. Certainly could be magnifica.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Looks similar to my K. pyriformis too, but I am by no means a Kentiopsis expert! My K. pyriformis opens with a red new leaf too.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks Zeeth. 

If anyone has photos of your small Magnifica's or Pyriformis's please post to help see any differences between the two. 
These two seem pretty close as juveniles. 

Both of my pyriformis at that size have more yellow at the base I believe. I'll try to get pictures.

My pyriformis got a little beat up this very cold winter, but here's a picture of it and my small magnifica.

Pic one pyriformis

Pic two magnifica

20190507_113333.jpg

20190507_113308.jpg

• Like 1

Carl

Vista, CA

Here's one of my Pyriformis this morning.It'd say they look pretty different from  the first plant pictured.

kAcaCoCyTnqnptUOWVb8QQ.jpg

lzWqQNDBSHW2DrvgnEPMsg.jpg

Pyroformis throws a bronze leaf while magnifica throws a red leaf.  

Pyroformis leaf base is light bronze color while magnifica is much darker.

Pyroformis is a much more robust palm, but hard to tell at the stage of the palm pictured.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Sure looks like a magnifica to me.. I should add, magnifica seem to hold more lepidia at this point and actually for some time. The others enjoy a much more smooth surface to the petiole.

:greenthumb::D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

8 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Sure looks like a magnifica to me.. I should add, magnifica seem to hold more lepidia at this point and actually for some time. The others enjoy a much more smooth surface to the petiole.

:greenthumb::D

Yes, and Pyroformis is a heeled palm while Magnifica isn’t. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

True... I can't tell if thats a heel in that pic or not...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

When planted, it’s hard to see the heel on pyroformis.  Here is a pic of each palm, about the same size (magnifica in pot):

624BF406-B460-48D1-A8AB-270CFFF2EDE9.jpeg

76353892-97FA-4F35-AA0D-4E02619E3D2F.jpeg

Edited by joe_OC
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

thanks for the photos guys.  I took a few more of the opening leaf and after removing a dead lower leaf.  

It does look like it has a somewhat small heel.

Guess it may take some more years of growth to be able to correctly ID this ?  Also the Florida climate may make these look considerably different than one grown in CA i think?

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG

IMG_8178.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG

What color frond does it throw?  From your pics, it looks like there was a frond that recently opened.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

in my first pics the new leaf wasn't finished opening up, and the new pic is after that last tip part opened up.  It is red, or reddish bronze 
I'll try to watch when the next leaf opens in the future to see how red it actually is.  Because that above pictured leaf was sort of "interrupted" while opening since I recently put it in the ground.

Edited by palmtodd

Pyroformis, at best, is bronze.  Distinctly different from magnifica red.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

K. pyroformis, a little bit of sunburn, and chewed up from a squirrel incident...but sporting a very bronze leaf  

2F4B3806-6F51-4A1D-9838-5528CD8AA19E.jpeg

Here is mine, sporting the bronze new frond:

kpyroformis.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

The speckling on the petioles is really making me think magnifica. Unless it's a pyriformis with moss!

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

The speckling on the petioles is really making me think magnifica. Unless it's a pyriformis with moss!

His latest pics does show a heel...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

8 hours ago, joe_OC said:

His latest pics does show a heel...

I have seen magnificas do that... it looks like a light duty heel at best..

My guess is Pyroformis. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin