IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help Identifying Problem with King Palms

Tara Michelle

Hello,

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my palm trees? I believe they are King Palms- I have 2 of them in my backyard and they have been there for at least 4 years (previous homeowners planted them). I live in California and over the past year I have noticed them looking worse- the fronds turning yellow/brown early and with spots (even the new fronds). We never remove the old fronds until they are basically falling off the tree/completely dead (I was told that would help prevent pink rot). Im not sure if they have a disease? Any insight/help would be appreciated! These pictures were taken a week ago- and the palms look even worse now! I can provide additional photos if that would help. 

Palm 2.jpg

Palm 3.jpg

Palm 1.jpg

Looks like winter damage to me. Where in Ca are you located?

• Like 1

The first one isn't so bad, however, that last picture, seems like some bug.. 

Re: 1st one.  Are you fertilizing and watering it?

They have trunks, so they, up until a certain point were thriving. What changed?

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Tara Michelle,  Welcome to Palmtalk !

Your king palms appear to be receiving much less water than they did earlier.  The vertical fissures on the trunk are not normal.  The first photo shows a nutritional deficiency, most likely Potassium (K). The damaged crownshaft on the right side is sunburn.  The frizzled newer fronds are also a nutrient deficiency.

Read this,   http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep273  and then increase the irrigation and fertilization.  Look for a fertilizer with a NPK ratio of approximately 3:1:3  and containing a broad spectrum of the minor elements.  Even by palm tree standards this palm,  Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, is a thirsty and hungry species.  Keep us informed !  :) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

@Tara Michelle where art thou in California?  That's a big question. Concur with @Darold Petty,  et al otherwise.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you all for the advice! I live in Los Angeles, California- so it stays pretty warm all year. I don't think we ever hit freezing temperatures this past winter. The trunks do have vertical fissures all the way down the trunk- large ones at the base (see the additional photo). We have irrigation that waters the trees 3 times a week/set to run for 6 minutes. I have not done any fertilizing in the last year- so that is definitely something I will have done this week.  

Palm 4.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tara Michelle said:

Thank you all for the advice! I live in Los Angeles, California- so it stays pretty warm all year. I don't think we ever hit freezing temperatures this past winter. The trunks do have vertical fissures all the way down the trunk- large ones at the base (see the additional photo). We have irrigation that waters the trees 3 times a week/set to run for 6 minutes. I have not done any fertilizing in the last year- so that is definitely something I will have done this week.  

Palm 4.jpg

What part of LA are you in?

Mar Vista, for instance, is very different from Sherman Oaks.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

What part of LA are you in?

Mar Vista, for instance, is very different from Sherman Oaks.

I live in Encino- right next to Sherman Oaks! 

Depending on what kind of sprinklers you have running 18 mins a week - I would think they may not be getting enough water. That is not much time (even for high volume spinklers) to water very deeply. And sprinklers can fail for all sorts of reasons.

Have you actually checked the soil around the root zone for moisture? Dig down a foot or so and see if any water is getting down to the roots.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

My landscape is dominated by groves of king palms. They are very thirsty trees and do best in wet soil. Not merely moist but wet. They are even semi-aquatic in nature and will grow in shallow water. Your’s look severely under watered. Six minutes three times per week on a drip system is not adaquate and on a spray system that’s not my enough either. Give you palms enough water to thoroughly wet the soil down at least 18” and never let it dry out and I think you will see an amazing transformation over the next several months. 889C034E-F89B-4F52-97AE-9DDDD39E3B93.png.8455f0066e3e26cd0725d18329dfdca5.png25799AD7-7B18-4212-93C1-C436CFA2D345.png.0ec006c07cea31dbe40f712646bbabfa.png

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

7 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

My landscape is dominated by groves of king palms. They are very thirsty trees and do best in wet soil. Not merely moist but wet. They are even semi-aquatic in nature and will grow in shallow water. Your’s look severely under watered. Six minutes three times per week on a drip system is not adaquate and on a spray system that’s not my enough either. Give you palms enough water to thoroughly wet the soil down at least 18” and never let it dry out and I think you will see an amazing transformation over the next several months. 889C034E-F89B-4F52-97AE-9DDDD39E3B93.png.8455f0066e3e26cd0725d18329dfdca5.png25799AD7-7B18-4212-93C1-C436CFA2D345.png.0ec006c07cea31dbe40f712646bbabfa.png

Wunderbar!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Definitely not enough water. These palms as already mentioned often grow on stream banks or in flooded waterways in their native habitat.

Its possible you may have water repellant soil. In that case you could water for hours a day and the palm would still be too dry. That's normally an issue on sand. I would try and dig a shallow bowl in the soil around each palm, possibly use a wetting agent in the bowl, and fill each bowl with water and let it drain down every 2 or 3 days for maybe the next 6-12 months. If you did that I think your palm will just wake up and start pushing healthy leaves.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

@Tara Michelle, I concur with @Dypsisdeanand @Jim in Los Altos about king palm water needs.

Thirsty as can be but worth it. 

Encino will be a bit on the challenging side to keep king palms really happy because of how hot and dry and windy it can get there.

If you want palms without kings’ kingly water bill, other types will look great on a lot less water, like queen palms Syagrus romanzoffianum.

Show us the base of the palm/soil?  Concur that this looks like a watering problem, so some pictures of that can help us define a strategy for you.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Excellent advice above - @Tyrone makes an excellent point regarding the soil type.  Hard clay or sand can cause the water to just run off and not get to the roots.

Jon Sunder