IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jeff Searle's New Youtube Video - Cyrtostachys Renda Hybrid

Travis Searle

Hey guys sorry its been so long since we did a new video but we have finally finished one! Go check it out because i'm pretty sure most people on here love this palm as much as we do.

https://youtu.be/h9KIrQPTJOc

Edited by Travis Searle
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Wonderful!!!! 

What a beautiful palm. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Really a beauty. Tried the original one as potted plant but no success. Maybe this hybrid does better as potted plant?

Eckhard

Edited by Palmensammler

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

I was lucky to get several a couple years back. I made the mistake of giving one away. My biggest is nowhere near as big as Jeff's but went into the ground this spring.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Wow! I bet these will become popular in South Florida after many many years, if they get planted a lot more. It's awesome that there is come cold hardiness to it! Completely opposite of a normal lipstick palm. 

PalmTreeDude

Thanks for sharing.

Im curious if anyone in Southern California has had success with this hybrid.

And if so, what has been their experiences with growing them.

As for me, I had several.....and lost them all. :(

And thanks for the video Jeff.

Great to see this hybrid excelling in your garden!

What a great palm and presentation. Thank you!

What you look for is what is looking

A magnificent palm in person! I thought I had bought one, but it turned out to be a Cyrtostachys loriae.

Edited by palmislandRandy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wish I had a C. loriae, don’t be disappointed.  I thought I had a C. elegans, but as it grew it was apparent it was the hybrid.

16 minutes ago, Jupiter1 said:

not sure about you, but this video made me need to have one!!

20190508_183801.jpg

I'm not quite there yet, but based on the width of coconut petiole bases, I'll require larger shears.  

I subscribed to his channel. Awesome videos.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 1 month later...

I found a photo of my Cyrtostachys hybrid, this was taken in 2015.  I bought this palm as Cyrtostachys elegans (lime lipstick) in 2012 but as it grew, I determined that it was actually the hybrid, since the crownshaft had some color, the palm grew fast and the leaves looked like those of a Cyrtostachys hybrid I had bought before (that died on me).

I planted out this palm and it survived a low of 32F without damage, but it either didn’t come with the rest of my plants to my dad’s or it died at my dad’s during the period of no care.  This palm is super cold hardy for a Cyrtostachys but would never survive in Orlando (or anywhere in Fl without a high water table) without supplemental irrigation.

1DF84993-0E5F-4F78-BF87-EBE4145E0EEC.png

• 3 months later...