Pal Meir

What is your palm with the thinnest stems? My record holder is a 15 year old Rhapis micrantha. The 1st stem (grown directly from seed, no offshoot) has a diameter of 4.6 mm, much less than the stem of a 3½ year old Chamaedorea tuerckheimii with 5.0 mm. (An old no more existent Rhapis subtilis had 4.7 mm.)

I guess good other candidates were Chamaedorea stolonifera and some Calamus spp.

1394773751_Rhapismicrantha2019-05-02P1050124.thumb.jpg.6d3558658bee3b1a8a04a55b46afc20e.jpg

2106071438_N15012019-05-02P1050125.thumb.jpg.967e7ed3662ca3b4a66dd3907c23c01f.jpg

1045148899_RhapissubtilisstemIMG_8729.thumb.jpg.ca5185793a71c98230a330e8c94eee4e.jpg

769653945_Rhapissubtilis77N04-0126.thumb.jpg.7792ad2dfbf1fccd39f98fe080fd1fb2.jpg

1112069267_Rhapissubtilis2008-09-27.thumb.jpg.1734c286e61557025b209669cbfc716b.jpg

• Like 1

kinzyjr

Rhapis Excelsa for me.  Not nearly as thin as those though!

palmsOrl

Reinhardtia, has  Rhapis, Chamaedorea and Calamus.

abdalav

Pal Meir, how thin are your Chamaedorea metallica's trunks?

GottmitAlex

Hyophorbe indica red var.  Seems the stems are hollow inside. After I received my 5 last year from Floribunda, most of their leaves snapped like twigs once the first harsh winds came by early winter. They were 1 gallon size.  They are growing new new leaves.

15570203919293011601932243361685.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

Pal Meir
10 hours ago, abdalav said:

Pal Meir, how thin are your Chamaedorea metallica's trunks?

I don’t remember, :hmm: but I guess something between 10 and 15 mm, very similar to Ch. elegans.

10 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Hyophorbe indica red var.  Seems the stems are hollow inside. After I received my 5 last year from Floribunda, most of their leaves snapped like twigs once the first harsh winds came by early winter. They were 1 gallon size.  They are growing new new leaves.

Your Hyophorbe is not yet trunking, that is not a real stem! :P

On 5/3/2019 at 3:02 AM, palmsOrl said:

Reinhardtia, has  Rhapis, Chamaedorea and Calamus.

Could you post a pic of your Reinhardtia (gracilis?)!

GottmitAlex
13 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Your Hyophorbe is not yet trunking, that is not a real stem! :P

Lol I get it. I was not referring to the trunk, which is the stem. I was referring to the leaf petiole. My bad. However, of the limited palms I have, the Hyophorbe indica var. Red has the most frail of petioles.  I can compare it to my other hyophorbes laganecaulis or dypsis Carlsmithii of the same age and no comparison. Their rachis/petioles are quite rugged and withstand wind compared to the hyophorbe indica red.

And here again, a misunderstanding on my part. 

20190505_174048.jpg

20190505_173743.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      The sun is still ferocious and days usually sweltering but north and east breezes carry a whiff of cooler, drier days on the horizon. Another 4-5 weeks and the rainy season spigot abruptly shuts off. I do most of my yard work in the fall, winter and early spring trying to catch up with growth in overdrive from summer. Yesterday I decided to make a photo update of my tropical container garden on the back lanai. Last month I did battle with a mealybug infestation on some of my Chamaedoreas using two spray bottles of insecticidal soap and imidicloprid drench. Yesterday I found scale starting to invade - more insecticidal soap. Come early Nov. I will proactively go after spider mites with one of my two miticides. Right now all my uber tropical potted palms are at their peak glory.
      Among the palms featured below are two that have lost their tags and need an expert ID. Please help me find out who they are.
      First Photo: a view of the length of the lanai looking east. I keep the birdcage covered with two layers of commercial grade shadecloth to protect the palms inside.

One palm in particular inspired this photo essay: Pinanga cochinchinensis. I've had a checkered history with Pinangas. I love them but so often they cling to life for me, then give up and die. I'm so delighted this handsome clumper has hung in and actually grew to about 6' tall. I recently moved it to a larger pot because the wind kept blowing it over.

Areca catechu Dwarf - This is my oldest surviving dwarf Areca and the only large one kept on the lanai. The rest stay outdoors.

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons - my larger of two. Both have done well for me. I have repotted them once with great trepidation because they are quite root sensitive but they took the disruption in stride. I've had no luck growing any of the other Joey species.

Ravenea hildebrandtii

Heterospathe salomonensis

The genus Dypsis has scores of species. Many, but not all, prefer the mediterranean climate in CA, as opposed to the sweltering heat of FL. I am currently trying the following species in pots:
      Dypsis mirabilis - I've had this colorful little palm for almost a year. It will go through its second winter here soon.

Dypsis psammophila - A slender, gracile clumper related to the larger commoner D. lutescens

Dypsis prestoniana - My tentative introduction to the large to huge species that often grow like snails and keel over when faced with the heat of the day and night

Got to take a break now. More photos soon. Thanks for looking.
    • cm05
      By cm05
      I have a Rhapis excelsa with a root stem (or whatever it’s called) that’s roughly a foot long and growing sideways. Can I cut a few inches off of this offshoot stem? I know palms are generally root sensitive, but Rhapis is supposedly tolerant of being divided. This thing won’t fit in any of the empty pots I have, and an oversized pot for such a small palm would just encourage root rot (and look ridiculous).

This root is nearly the same size as the palm.
    • abdalav
      By abdalav
      Hello, my friends. Does anybody have a comprehensive list of Chamaedorea hybrids? I know that something like this has been published in Don Hodel's 1992 book. Do you have this list with an update?

Best wishes
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I was checking my pots of palm seedlings this morning and I found this albino seedling in my pot of Cham klotzschianas. Albino seedlings are, unfortunately for the plants affected, not as rare as you might think. Albinism in palms occurs because a genetic defect in the seed produces a palm that is unable to manufacture chlorophyll. Lack of chlorophyll in green plants means the defective plant is unable to photosynthesize and feed itself. Right now this little guy is living off food storage in its seed. When that is used up the seedling will wither and die. After taking the following photos I put the pot of seedlings back under canopy and will let the albino one get the most out of its spark of life. Guess I'm a softie.
      Chamaedorea klotzschiana albino seedling, Cape Coral, FL

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      These are lovely little understory palms that deserve wider renown. They are surprisingly cold hardy: down to 28F. Current thinking lumps what were two species, C. geoniformis and C. tenella into just C. geoniformis even though these palms are distinctly different to uneducated eyes, including mine. I have two C. geoniformis vs. seven C. tenella. The geoniformis are much larger all around. C. tenella is almost impossibly dainty, sporting 3-4" leaves atop tiny stems thinner than a pencil
      I just finished fall maintence on these little guys then took the following photos. These palms are well worth growing
      Chamaedorea geoniformis x2 and Chamaedorea tenella x7

Chamaedorea geoniformis (left) & Chamaedorea tenella (right)

Chamaedorea geoniformis x2

Chamaedorea tenella