IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plumeria season 2019

Silas_Sancona

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Yes, Carol helped us, it was later in the season, so they were out of things. But still a cool place to visit. My best friend lives in Tampa, I have been to the east Tampa plumeria nursery couple of times, understand about that. . The owner passed away last year or so, a younger couple is helping his wife run the place.  I haven’t been back since that happened.

Homestead is such a unique place for nurseries, every street has more plants to find! It is nice being only 2 hours away.

Did not know ..Allen? ..I think that was the guy's name -who owned the nursery east of Tampa, had passed.. Bummer. Good someone is continuing to run the nursery though.

Favorite memory involving FL. Colors  was sitting w/ Carol and Luc while Luc was working on grafts talking about how they'd endured Andrew.. Was my first ever visit to FL and left a lasting impression.  Would have been awesome to get to know Luc a little more before he passed.

Trips to Homestead were one of the highlights when living there, esp. in Bradenton. While fine here, wouldn't have minded if we'd stayed just long enough that i could have explored more of the nurseries along Krome ..and in surrounding areas.  Imaging Krome itself is a safer drive now that it has been widened ..The section running between the 41, and downtown Homestead anyway..  Was the only aspect of trips down there i was especially cautious of.  41 through the Everglades / Big Cypress was a " looked forward to " aspect of those trips though.  Still remember driving through that area on my way to the Keys,  after getting roasted earlier in the day in Venice. Nothing like driving down an unfamiliar 2 lane road, in the dark, while trying to deal with being quite sunburned, lol.. Fun times.

Today was the day to cleanup and organize the nursery. Have more plumerias than I thought in the nursery. 20 smaller ones on the left are from seeds, 1 year old. And still have broken pieces from the hurricane around the yard. Found coconuts sprouting, they were cut off two weeks before Ian. Had about 50 nuts, gave a lot away.

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My plumerias I started from seed last year are still in a community pot...:lol2: 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230612_101858971_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230612_101939321.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

10 hours ago, Barry said:

This is the first time “Hope” has bloomed for me, it is from Florida Colors in Homestead.

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1482.jpeg

Nice, Can see possible  hints of X " Raspberry Sundae ",  and / or X " Mardi Gras " in the " pointy petal " flower shape..

After much anticipation,  Voila'! 

First flower on Plumeria X "Divine"  ...W/ more on the way.. 

Color tones are more intense than what is pictured on JJ's site for the cultivar, which is likely due to the heat.  Overall flower shape, petal texture ( An important factor in gauging if the flowers of a variety would work in Leis ), color pattern, and medium intensity floral scent are true to variety..  Flower is a tad small ( Approx 2.5" width ) but it's just getting going. As suggested by a few folks who have grown it for several years, Flower size should increase to approx 3- 4"  as the tree ages.  Now to track fade rate / any color change(s) that occur as individual flowers age, Also important factors for use in Leis;  and how long the total inflo itself flowers / if more are produced this year ( Has been repeatedly suggested that Divine can bud/ produce new inflos after adding as little as 2" of new growth to a branch.. )

In a container, or in the ground, this dense, dwarf grower can have anywhere between 50-80 tips, and still be under 5ft in total height, even after 4-5 years.

IMG_4411.thumb.JPG.d804d8f2f30a986ee8ad12a0ce4fa2a8.JPG

IMG_4412.thumb.JPG.2d494fe7efc759e918a1961f786f843c.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/24/2023 at 12:19 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

After much anticipation,  Voila'! 

First flower on Plumeria X "Divine"  ...W/ more on the way.. 

Color tones are more intense than what is pictured on JJ's site for the cultivar, which is likely due to the heat.  Overall flower shape, petal texture ( An important factor in gauging if the flowers of a variety would work in Leis ), color pattern, and medium intensity floral scent are true to variety..  Flower is a tad small ( Approx 2.5" width ) but it's just getting going. As suggested by a few folks who have grown it for several years, Flower size should increase to approx 3- 4"  as the tree ages.  Now to track fade rate / any color change(s) that occur as individual flowers age, Also important factors for use in Leis;  and how long the total inflo itself flowers / if more are produced this year ( Has been repeatedly suggested that Divine can bud/ produce new inflos after adding as little as 2" of new growth to a branch.. )

In a container, or in the ground, this dense, dwarf grower can have anywhere between 50-80 tips, and still be under 5ft in total height, even after 4-5 years.

IMG_4411.thumb.JPG.d804d8f2f30a986ee8ad12a0ce4fa2a8.JPG

IMG_4412.thumb.JPG.2d494fe7efc759e918a1961f786f843c.JPG

Noting some obvious purple tones to the petal edges yesterday in 112F heat.

IMG_4699.thumb.JPG.f6fccceb0c8f753f2739e395a1c6ee7e.JPG

• Like 2

Picked up this one last weekend at the Orange store, couldn’t pass it up for $30. Looks like nice compact red, says good bloomer, time will tell.

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

Picked up this one last weekend at the Orange store, couldn’t pass it up for $30. Looks like nice compact red, says good bloomer, time will tell.

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

Here's a tidbit about that variety from the PDF of Plumeria cultivars i reference often:

515247213_Screenshot2023-06-28at17-29-40Plumerianotes-Plumeria-compilation-2020-v3_pdf.png.2f30f222c33d05da8ce26c73043dcaa3.png