IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plumeria season 2019

Silas_Sancona

My crawling plumeria "San Diego Sunset" is still pushing flowers here in December.  Summer's pinks, oranges and yellows are now mostly white with pink striping on the unopened flowers which fades to a slight pink hue on the edges as the flower opens.  Here in Southern California, it's just nice to have some plumerias still blooming after Thanksgiving.  The sun had set and light was dimming as I snapped these photos last night appropriately as the San Diego sun set.

20201205-BH3I1992.jpg

20201205-BH3I2001.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 3 weeks later...

...and still going as we enter Winter.  Can't complain when a plumeria is still holding green leaves and blooming on the first day of winter.

20201222-BH3I2076.jpg

20201222-BH3I2077.jpg

• Like 1

Here most of the leaves have dropped but I was working on a big trimming job today and there was a 20' plumeria with a couple blooms on it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Help! 

My plumeria is loosing color. Leaves are yellow-green and it doesn't look promising. It's getting 2-3 hrs of sun. I'm afraid to feed it with liquid fertilizer before temperature rises a bit more.

8 minutes ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Help! 

My plumeria is loosing color. Leaves are yellow-green and it doesn't look promising. It's getting 2-3 hrs of sun. I'm afraid to feed it with liquid fertilizer before temperature rises a bit more.

Picture(s)? 

..Sounds like it's trying to go dormant, esp. if only getting a couple hours of sun, and where you have it it is cool..  Definitely DON'T feed until warmer and it has resumed obvious growth. NO liquid stuff ( Unless Seaweed/ Fish ) either, strictly organics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Help! 

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Picture(s)? 

..Sounds like it's trying to go dormant, esp. if only getting a couple hours of sun, and where you have it it is cool..  Definitely DON'T feed until warmer and it has resumed obvious growth. NO liquid stuff ( Unless Seaweed/ Fish ) either, strictly organics.

Here in Southern California, the plumeria society recommends to stop watering plumeria's through winter when they want to go dormant.  Mine get some rain, and a couple get watered when adjacent palms do but in general I lay off the water for winter.  Yellowing leaves at some point before they go dormant isn't unusual, the varieties that keep their leaves green all the way through winter are the exception here.  I would imagine its the same there where you get shorter and colder days as opposed to the true tropics.

2 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Much worse than yesterday.

IMG_20210223_131700.jpg

Going dormant.. As long as the stem stays firm, it should be fine.. Will resume growth once it warms a bit more in a month or two.. Perfectly normal. No water while leafless.

• Like 1

has anyone ever seen a flower which looks like this one?

i found it about a month ago, it has the regular 5 petals plus some extras in the middle

the plant is indoors since the fall... mine has defoliated mostly as well.. hi dalmationsoap!

i included a pic from august when it was outside and growing nicely

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG-3463.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, subsonicdrone said:

i found it about a month ago, it has the regular 5 petals plus some extras in the middle

the plant is indoors since the fall... mine has defoliated mostly as well.. hi dalmationsoap!

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG-3463.jpg

Would have to look around to see if it's an actual variety but there are a few out there which produce double petaled flowers..  Typical, single petaled vars. can sometimes produce individual flowers w/ extra petals as well. Your specimen looks great regardless..

• Upvote 1

thanks

yeah it was just the one flower

it is usually 5 flatly arranged petals

it was gifted to me by a customer at work who was growing tired of hauling it inside each winter

now i have to bend branches to get it through the doorway bringing it in for winter

smells great!

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

So I now have two rooted and growing cuttings, they have been in 3g pots in full sun in the backyard all year, with no supplemental irrigation.  I was thinking of planting them, but I read that they don't like lots of water.  That would rule out my "tropical bed" that gets drenched by sprayers-on-a-stick every morning.  But do they need a "high and dry" area, or are they ok with any sunny spot that isn't swampy?

24 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

So I now have two rooted and growing cuttings, they have been in 3g pots in full sun in the backyard all year, with no supplemental irrigation.  I was thinking of planting them, but I read that they don't like lots of water.  That would rule out my "tropical bed" that gets drenched by sprayers-on-a-stick every morning.  But do they need a "high and dry" area, or are they ok with any sunny spot that isn't swampy?

There in FL, i'd see Plumeria planted in everything from pretty dry and extremely rocky soil ( in Homestead ) to situated near a roadside canal that collected lots of water whenever it rained hard enough ( near my old apartment in Largo ) and near the beach on Longboat Key / Anna Maria  and they all did well..  I'd stick them somewhere in nearly full sun ( a little light shade in the afternoon is fine ) where you might water once a week ( if / when it doesn't rain ), except when dormant / growth greatly reduced ( typically in winter when they need no water )

Would bet you'll rarely have to water once established, unlike what has been my experience here.

• Like 1

They seem to grow fine in Hawaii even with our heavier rainfall during their dormant period. They do flower better in the dryer areas though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Thanks for the info!  I have a spot in front that's just out of range of some sprinklers-on-a-stick, and it's in a reasonably dry area that should work. 

I also just received a cutting of one I think is called "Pink Passion."  I'm not certain of the name, but the cycad collector said that he used to grow 100+ types of Plumeria and sold all but this one.  It is now nicely healed over and I'll toss it in a pot to root out.

• Like 1

My experience is in Florida they do fine anywhere as long as they aren't in standing water or soggy soil. Even irrigated, the sandy soil drains well, so it isn't too much of an issue. The more water, the more vegetation and fewer flowers.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, subsonicdrone said:

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG-3463.jpg

Could be an anomaly, many varieties put out 3-6 petals at times. Coloring looks a bit like Bali Whirl, the Plumeria world's only 10-pedal bloom. I've had one in my collection for 4 seasons now and this is the closest I've gotten to having a bloom open fully. They can be temperamental.

IMG_1500.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, PalmWarbler said:

Could be an anomaly, many varieties put out 3-6 petals at times. Coloring looks a bit like Bali Whirl, the Plumeria world's only 10-pedal bloom. I've had one in my collection for 4 seasons now and this is the closest I've gotten to having a bloom open fully. They can be temperamental.

IMG_1500.jpg

X2 ^ w/ " Bali Whril " ...or a seedling of it retained the double petaled form of that cultivar perhaps.. Have seen Aztec Gold and a couple other white / yellow flowering varieties occasionally produce flowers w/ an extra petal or two before.  Thought there were a couple other double petaled flowering Plumeria being sold now, but not 100% certain.  Honestly not a big fan of double/ triple flowered  ~ anything ~ esp Plumeria and Hibiscus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

X2 ^ w/ " Bali Whril " ...or a seedling of it retained the double petaled form of that cultivar perhaps.. Have seen Aztec Gold and a couple other white / yellow flowering varieties occasionally produce flowers w/ an extra petal or two before.  Thought there were a couple other double petaled flowering Plumeria being sold now, but not 100% certain.  Honestly not a big fan of double/ triple flowered  ~ anything ~ esp Plumeria and Hibiscus.

I've seen some deformed individual flowers pop out that have both an extra or one less petal than the normal flower the plant pushes.  My guess would be that the original flower in question was just as described earlier, an anomaly.

• Upvote 1

My wife got this as a little stick cutting at the Del Mar Fair many years ago, labeled as Hilo Beauty.  We eventually put it in the ground and it grew but no flowers.  Last summer I cut off a big branch because it was growing into my Pseudophoenix behind it, and rooted it.  We gave it to my son and his wife who live about 3-4 miles inland in Encinitas and of course we noticed flower buds on theirs already this summer with no buds on ours.  My wife has been checking and look what we finally found.  Granted flower buds are not success yet, but there is hope that it will finally produce a flower.

20210917-BH3I5555.jpg

20210917-BH3I5553.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:23 PM, Merlyn said:

Meryln, as long as your soil is well draining and your plumeria are rooted, they will be fine.

I might be able to offer you some insight and help pay back all the palm questions I ask on here! I grow them on a somewhat smaller commercial scale and contrary to popular belief they respond favorably to daily watering. Having said that, my soil - like most of SE FL is very sandy so percolation is first rate. They will not tolerate their roots staying wet. Mud or standing water is the kiss of death.

As far as location in your yard, if you have to choose between morning or afternoon sun, choose afternoon. They respond much better with the warmer afternoon sun than plants with morning sun exposure. Afternoon sun = taller, fuller plants more leaves and more blooms.  A good, balanced slow-release fertilizer is a plus.

Your mileage may vary, but this recipe works very well for me.

Happy planting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

after many attempts at rooting cuttings i was finally successful

its my proudest gardening accomplishment for this year :)

part of my success was keeping them indoors where the animals wont take off with them!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, subsonicdrone said:

part of my success was keeping them indoors where the animals wont take off with them!

I can see where that would lower your batting average.  Congratulations on your accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 12:03 PM, Tracy said:

Last summer I cut off a big branch because it was growing into my Pseudophoenix behind it, and rooted it.

Tracy, how big a branch was it?  I recently had a nearly 3' branch get blown off in a windstorm.  I'm letting it harden off but wondered if it would be better to use a smaller piece?  I've not done this before and understand it's fairly easy to root.  I assume that your plant did finally flower? :)

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

40 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Tracy, how big a branch was it?  I recently had a nearly 3' branch get blown off in a windstorm.  I'm letting it harden off but wondered if it would be better to use a smaller piece?  I've not done this before and understand it's fairly easy to root.  I assume that your plant did finally flower? :)

It was probably about 2 1/2 to 3 feet and yes I let it harden off, then put it in a fast draining mix.  The plant did finally bloom, but it wasn't the red bloom that we waited so long to see.  A bit disappointing to wait so long and then have an incorrect id.  I have received plenty of large cuttings over the years and they root just fine.  

2 minutes ago, Tracy said:

It was probably about 2 1/2 to 3 feet and yes I let it harden off, then put it in a fast draining mix.  The plant did finally bloom, but it wasn't the red bloom that we waited so long to see.  A bit disappointing to wait so long and then have an incorrect id.  I have received plenty of large cuttings over the years and they root just fine.  

47 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Really,   it depends on the cultivar..  Some can be started from pretty short cuttings, say 12-18" ( Thornton Lemon, Aztec Gold  come to mind ), while the cuttings of others will shrivel / not callous over and rot ..or take several months to root ( Numerous Moragne and Red- flowered cultivars, many Rainbow/ Fruit Salad- flowering cultivars ) at the same ..or any..   length.

Shared this elsewhere, but this is probably one of the best " lists " i have come across that discusses Plumeria cultivars..  PDF file is LONG,  so you'll be looking through / jotting down notes for awhile, but, well worth a few late nights of research. Numerous notes on ease / difficulty of rooting cuttings of various cultivars, etc..

https://atkinsonplumeria.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Plumeria-compilation-2020-v3.pdf

• Upvote 1

I got this plumeria cutting last summer, it has yet to do anything, but the tip does seem to be alive and swelling.  I water it sparingly and it sits in shade in my dining room.  Should I move it under a grow light?  It's finally resisting being pulled up out of the soil so I think it may have finally started putting out some roots. 

20220515_144525.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

I got this plumeria cutting last summer, it has yet to do anything, but the tip does seem to be alive and swelling.  I water it sparingly and it sits in shade in my dining room.  Should I move it under a grow light?  It's finally resisting being pulled up out of the soil so I think it may have finally started putting out some roots. 

20220515_144525.jpg

Would get it under a grow light / on a heating pad for sure..  As long as the cutting feels firm/ no soft spots along the length of the stem, it should leaf out.  Once it is moving again ( right after  it goes dormant for the winter ), would get it out of that soil and into something like a Coco peat, small lava rock < or Pumice > and Turface mix. Soil looks a bit heavy for Plumeria.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 3:59 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Would get it under a grow light / on a heating pad for sure..  As long as the cutting feels firm/ no soft spots along the length of the stem, it should leaf out.  Once it is moving again ( right after  it goes dormant for the winter ), would get it out of that soil and into something like a Coco peat, small lava rock < or Pumice > and Turface mix. Soil looks a bit heavy for Plumeria.

She's moving now! Almost a year after planting this dormant cutting has come to life!  If you're not a patient gardener, at least be a lazy gardener. 

Once it leafs out a little I'll move it into some "hydroton"/Orchid bark/cactus soil mix.  Thank you!

20220613_154158.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

That favorite time of year begins again... 

No flowers on anything yet, ( if either of the in-ground plants even decide to bloom this year )  but time to repot some of the cutting bought cultivars rooted last year, 1st feeding of the season, ..And getting the seedlings outside to soak up some heat / sun.. ( ...and feed them too )

As mentioned many times in the past, make my own soil mixes rather than use inferior, bagged stuff, adjusting the %'ages of X component according to what i'm potting up.. In the case of Plumerias, soil mix i put together seems to work for other stuff that wants a little more organics too ( Coco peat = only "purchased" organic component i use.  ), but these kids really like it..

Need to make another trip to collect grit since i used up the last of what med. sized gravel i had for top dressing certain stuff. 

IMG_9633.thumb.JPG.7de5ec156ccd0c7e8f8e7735428733df.JPG

IMG_9632.thumb.JPG.dcff465a75f365b9b9677549f11ca58b.JPG

IMG_9634.thumb.JPG.5ea4e979aa52da95d7f18d78e557a592.JPG

For fertilizer, it is Langbeinite, Crabshell Meal, and Sea Bird Guano ( only feeding of Phosphorus they will get for the year )  Seedlings get Langbeinite and Guano.

IMG_9635.thumb.JPG.e58dffa8cc7a60e14c22c5830e6589ea.JPG

IMG_9636.thumb.JPG.43ac370081caab84c5195738a6e8887e.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A stunning video of a world renowned Plumeria collection, owned by one of the most respected Plumeria hybridizers on the planet, Dr. Kukiat Tanteeratarm.. Including a close up look at one of his most incredible creations which he may ..or may not ever release for sale. 

Awakening each morning to 200 acres of one of the most amazing flowering trees on earth, plus all the other stuff in other collections of his must be an amazing experience.  Enjoy..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Roaming around earlier seeing what the local big box might be offering right now, ended up making an unexpected, but special purchase.  Was actually about to put in an order from the parent company, but, not passing up the in-person opportunity to get a high priority target crossed off the list.. 

The newest member to join to the Plumeria Bench:  Plumeria rubra  Cltv. " Divine "   On the JJ website, it is listed as being a true dwarf / miniature, with " tested " specimens several years in age staying less than 5ft in height. Perfect for the patio in a larger pot ( though it is one of the varieties i want t o plant out front as well.. ) It also is supposed to have an extra bit of cold hardiness, flowers over a long season / can repeat bloom from the same tip during a flowering cycle, and sets seed.

A little extra info from the Plumeria guide i've referenced in the past:

240422133_Screenshot2023-06-03at14-18-05Plumerianotes-Plumeria-compilation-2020-v3_pdf.thumb.png.dfbf983c8f41adb5654ae1bfa4339799.png

Will update once buds on the center branch tip start opening..

IMG_3065.thumb.JPG.32fcac8d63f077917074d8b43a291ccf.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 12:38 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

A stunning video of a world renowned Plumeria collection, owned by one of the most respected Plumeria hybridizers on the planet, Dr. Kukiat Tanteeratarm.. Including a close up look at one of his most incredible creations which he may ..or may not ever release for sale. 

Awakening each morning to 200 acres of one of the most amazing flowering trees on earth, plus all the other stuff in other collections of his must be an amazing experience.  Enjoy..

Incredible video, would be incredible to see that in person. Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

Incredible video, would be incredible to see that in person. Thanks for sharing.

Have wanted to get ..even a glimpse.. of Kukait's collection since i started following his work.  This video was exactly what i'd hoped for -and more..  Only thing that would've been the " icing on the cake " would have been a tour of his flowering tree / vine collection.

That said, as much as i also would enjoy a in -person tour, i'm sure i'd be so overly awe struck by everything in view that i'd be playing the role of a statue quite often, while also attempting to make my way through the collection, haha.  ...

Would place such an experience on a similar level as attending both your first major Orchid Expo,  and the Orchid-themed event Redlands hosts each year.  Unforgettable experiences, if not a touch overwhelming at times ..simply because visually,  there is just so much to take in.

While i have walked their collection before, a trip to Fl. Colors during their first official open house was on that same level also..   Real " step back and see everything on a different level " experiences..

Agree, it is hard to keep up with all the plants I would want! We did go to Redlands orchid festival last month. The eye candy was incredible, hadn’t been in many years. Still ended up bringing home a L. Mapu along with orchids and aroids. I have been to Fl Colors once, I did pay a pretty price for a couple of nice hybrids.  “Hope”and “Ruby Batik” were the ones I brought home. Hope is spiking now, Ruby Batik got damaged in the storm, but it is growing out of it. My seedlings from Kimo are growing really good for only being a year old. I can’t wait to see what flowers will come from them, 18 chances for something unique. 

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry said:

Agree, it is hard to keep up with all the plants I would want! We did go to Redlands orchid festival last month. The eye candy was incredible, hadn’t been in many years. Still ended up bringing home a L. Mapu along with orchids and aroids. I have been to Fl Colors once, I did pay a pretty price for a couple of nice hybrids.  “Hope”and “Ruby Batik” were the ones I brought home. Hope is spiking now, Ruby Batik got damaged in the storm, but it is growing out of it. My seedlings from Kimo are growing really good for only being a year old. I can’t wait to see what flowers will come from them, 18 chances for something unique. 

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

:greenthumb::greenthumb: Very nice Barry!  Wish my seedlings were half as big atm, lol.. Goes to show what moderate heat + consistent humidity can do.  Look forward to see what surprises await from each of your seedlings..

Miss being able to head down to see Carol, Tex and the gang ..let alone attend Redlands,  as the opening to summer..  FL. Colors prices can be a bit high for some stuff, but,  a visit was always worth it. Much different experience compared to the one trip i made to the guy who sells Plumeria east of Tampa.  Tex even sent me home w/ a couple extras once.   Good people.

Yes, Carol helped us, it was later in the season, so they were out of things. But still a cool place to visit. My best friend lives in Tampa, I have been to the east Tampa plumeria nursery couple of times, understand about that. . The owner passed away last year or so, a younger couple is helping his wife run the place.  I haven’t been back since that happened.

Homestead is such a unique place for nurseries, every street has more plants to find! It is nice being only 2 hours away.