IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Amazon Life Volume II

amazondk

The main landscape feature of Manaus is the Negro River.  The Rio Negro is I believe the river with the second largest volume of water after the Amazon.  The river reaches a width of about 8 kms as it flows slowly past Manaus.  And, at its deepest point is around 100 meters deep.  It is a tremendous amount of water.  The water is black much like a tea from acids leached out of the forest over thousands of square kms over it's course.  In Brazilian geography the Amazon starts being called the Amazon at the meeting of the waters of the Negro and the Solimões (called by the rest of the world the Amazon) in Manaus.  We will be going up the river where my wifes father lives and we intend on building a country place next weekend and I will compliment these pictures with more from the trip.

I know no more beautiful river than the Rio Negro.

Today we went down to one of the branches of the Negro in an area called Tarumã.  During this time of the year the river is almost at its highest level.  The water normally crests around the end of June.   We have what are called flutuantes here.  These are floating structures.   They can be gas stations, houses, or restaurants and bars.  We went down to Flutuante da Tia to have lunch and go for a swim in the river.  I love to dive into the dark waters of the Negro.  Under the surface the water is quite cool and is a refreshing way to spend an equatorial afternoon.

Flutante da Tia

FlutuantedaTia.jpg

Another flutante restaurant bar across the river, but this one has no road access.

FT17.jpg

Boating is big in Manaus.  There are all kinds of boats from canoes to yachts.

FT16.jpg

The big boat at dry dock belongs to a friend of mine.  It is 35 meters long and has 8 cabins and a captains suite.  It is quite a boat.  I went on an overnight trip down the Amazon River in 2005 on this boat.  It was quite the trip.

FT4.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The afternoon was pretty laid back.  We had some fish and cold beer and I took a nice dip in the river.

FT2.jpg

Just hanging out is the thing to do.

FT5.jpg

There is also live music in the afternoon.

FT11.jpg

My wife Raquel is now expecting a baby, so the FSU shirt I got her will get small pretty soon.  She is 12 weeks pregnant right now.  My youngest as I mented in another thread just finished high school.  So this is really a change for me.  But a good one.

FT10.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Since it is never cold enjoying the river is a year around activity.  People here tend to like to be in the water a lot.  It does keep you cooler as well.  It is not the fanciest place, but it is Amazon Life.

FT14.jpg

Jet skies are quite popular around here.

FT13.jpg

And, just another Gringo in the River.

FT12.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Congratulations on the upcoming bambino!

All the best, Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

Don,

Looks like a rough life but someone's got to do it... :D  And congratulations on becoming a Daddy again (good timing with the announcement, since it's Father's Day here!!). It'll keep you young! (and maybe even up at night :D )

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Mike.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Really enjoy your posts, Don  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Thanks everyone.  As Bo said some one has to do it.  I figured it might as well be me.  Since there are so few roads here in Amazonas human life really revolves around the water.  There are many kinds of water, brown water, green water, blue water and black water.  The black water of the Negro river really is special.  For one it keeps the mosquitos down.  They can not reproduce well in the acidic water.  And, two it is just plain beautiful.  As to Fathers day I forgot that it was yesterday until my Dad called me.  Here in Brazil it is in another month or so.  I am looking forward to the trip up the river next weekend to see Raquel's dad for his birthday.  I expect to have some good pictures to add to this thread when I return.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

All the best Raquel.

Don, I love that no frills spot with the plastic chairs for the swim, suits me better than the flashy resort style.

Great pics.

Someone does have to do it.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Don,

Congrats again on the next Don or Donna!  I love the pictures.  I agree with Wal - this is my kind of place.  No fancy hotel for me.  this would be a perfect place for vacation.  I love it when they say no phones or tvs in the hotel!  Keep the pictures coming!  I have got to get down and visit you.  Maybe I'll stop on the way to visit Wal.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Dear Don  :)

my heart felt congrulations on becoming daddy.and it remainds me of the boneyM song daddy daddy cool... !

that's a great job,here i did not compliment your amazonia

coverage !

and i must say i should take some training from you as to how

one should raise a family.iam bit dumb on those matters  :D

since i feel left behind in the race ! i have not started even my

first innings....

don thanks for sharing some golden moments of your life with all of us.

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Don,

I loved the pictures which add insight into Amazon life. Real cool.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. What a beautiful place to have kids.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Parabéns Painho e um abraço para Raquel.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

On Saturday morning we went up the Negro River to my wifes fathers place for his birthday.  We hired a 15 hp outboard with pilot to make the trip.  Not that we could not have gotten there on our own, but as we have no boat this made it easier.  The trip took 2 1/2 hours with pretty calm water.  With a 40 hp outboard you could the trip in about an hour and a half.  The destination was Igarape Maravilha where Raquel spent part of her childhood.  Her Father and brother still live there.  It is up the right side of the river going upstream and is in the Anavilhana Islands.  The largest fresh water archepelago in the world.  It was a great trip and we wll be developing the place for our home away from home.  The total area will be around 100 hectares.  Here are some scenes of the trip.  Amazon Life.

The Flutuante de David port area where we left from.  The area is used by small commuter type craft like we rented, sport boats, regional boats, and yachts.

PortFlutuantedoDavi2.jpg

On the boat and ready to go.

boatready2-1.jpg

Many yachts use the area  which is located where the Tarumã River meets the Negro.

marinaFlt.jpg

A few regional boats like the type I intend on chartering for our fishing trip in September.

Barcosregionais.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

In Amazonas life revolves around the water.  So, we have river gas stations complete with Convenience Stores.

This group was probably going home out to the country in the canoe with a small outboard called a rabeta.  These motors are very popular in Thailand I believe.  They had a complete group with baby and dog as well.

ponto2.jpg

The Convience Store is well stocked and even accepts American Express.  

ponto3.jpg

All sizes of vessels call to get fuel and supplies.

ponto4.jpg

There are numerous floating gas stations around Manaus, commonly calle a Pontão.

Ponto5.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Out on the river in the morning the water is normally calm.

A boat going upstream.

boatheadingnorthRioNegro-1.jpg

THis is high water time so there are not many beaches.  This one probably remains year around.  As the water receeds from July on beaches appear all along the river banks.

beach.jpg

This is one of the widesta points in the river just south of the Anavilhanas.  It is probably 15 kms across or so.

StartofAnavalhanas.jpg

Here the boat is entering the area of the Anavilhana islands.

canoeontheriver-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

There are several communities along the banks on the way up river.  This is not a very remote area and is still part of the municipality of Manaus.  It is really hard to get anywhere in Amazonas where there are not people living.  Even the most remote parts.

Riversidecommunity2.jpg

This is the community of Maravilha where Raquel went to school as a small girl.  Here mother moved the family out here when she was 5 years old from Manaus.

Maravilhacomunidade2.jpg

Entering Igarape Maravilha.  Raquel's dads place is at the head of the lake.

RaquelandMarlesonMaravilha.jpg

Raquel's dad is making a new house which is on the right.  We intend on building a house on the right hand side top of the hill.  In a few years the scene will be a bit different.

homesite.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Looking up Igarape Maravilha.  Raquel's aunt from Manaus was visiting the neighbors and rowing the canoe back to the house.

TiaSabacanoa.jpg

The neighbors house.  Some nice Euterpe prectorias.

viewofneighborshouse.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Raquel's brothers step son, the canoe master.

Caboclinho2.jpg

caboclinho.jpg

Caboclinho3.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Shortly after we got to our destination we went by canoe up to where Raquel's mom has some land and she lived while a child.  Her mother took the family to the end of the Igarape and then some to live in the middle of the forest.  The place has been abandoned for about 15 years or so.  We intend on fixing things up there as well.  

Sr. Raimundo Raquel's dad.  He used to work in  Manaus and then retired up here.

Sr.jpg

She grew up rowing a canoe and does a lot better than I do.  As we headed up to her moms place we went into the flooded forest - the Igapoo area.

Raquelnaproa.jpg

My Indian princess canoe driver.

Indianaconoa.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

More Amazon Life to come.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

thanks again for the great pictures of Amazonia. Looks like a great place to be, I hope everything works out well for building your second home there. Looking forward to more!

Best regards, Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

After the end of the canoeable water we hit the trail that Raquel and her sisters and brothers used to hike to get the canoe to school.  There is another 200 or so meters to where the house was.

Raqueloldtrailtohome-1.jpg

The old home site is nothing but rotted posts.  As a girl she spent her time in the middle of the forest with nature all around.  Nature has an incredible infuence on us as we are part of her.

Raquelatholdhomesite.jpg

View to the side of where the house was.  In the front is a great stand of M. flexuosa.

Buritisigarape-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

You really are one of the lucky ones.  You live in a beautiful place.  I am envious.  Should have stayed in Costa Rica when I had the chance.

Thanks for positng the wonderful pictures.  Keep them coming!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

There is a little crystal clear water stream running in front of the property.  This used to be wider when Raquel's family lived here.  They had it cleaned up and dug deeper.  It would be easy to make a swimming hole and if done right on part of the stream make some little dams and raise fish.

Gringo in the stream

DKIgarape2.jpg

Some stream side vegetation.

Plantasigarape.jpg

The water

Aguadoigarape.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

After the outing it was lunch time.  I got to be the chef.  It may be a fancy BBQ grill, but it works.

BBQlunch.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Kitty,

I don't regret that have chosen to be here.  I have worked in or with Manaus since 1989 and the place has never been unkind to me.  It has cost a lot to be here in some respects.  But, it has been worth it.  There are always trade offs in life.  I have a lot of things on my plate to make things go where I want them to.  And, nothing is easy or fast.  But, with work and time I think I can get to where I want to be.  This country place idea I have had for some time.  It will not be fast to get it up and going, but it is doable.  I still have to do a quick addition to our current house and then develop our lot in the city and put a home there.  And, I plan on doing this with no financing.  So, I have to source a lot of hardwood.  I really like the location and characteristics of this place.  I think we can develop an interesting project where we can have a good time, enjoy nature, help some of the people in the area, and just sit and look at the sky and the landscape.  I want to develop a palm plantation of Euterpe on some of the land as well.  I think that if we use solar power wisely with a help of a generator at times we can have a good level of comfort as well.  By putting up an antena we can get cell phone service and even high speed internet.  So, it would be possible to even do a lot of my work there.

Here is the view I want to have from the house.  I am thinking of making a very tropical wood home with a palm thatch roof.  I can cut the wood where we are sourcing lumber and bring it in and assemble it.  We can use lots of hardwood decking and other great materials.  Tatch roofing is cool as well.  I would not have A/C.  But, in the country you really don't need it if you build right.  By being up high there is normally a cooling breeze.  By making the house very flow through it  would stay cool.  And, at night it is always cool.  I was enchanted by this view.  It still has some brush in the way and the house would be built high enough to get a great panorama.  But, all that is a bit off.

At least it is a goal worth working towards.

viewhomesite1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Hey Gringo Daddy: I'll tell ya: You're the luckiest man in this board !! Maravilha = Marvel and there's no better way to describe the Igarapé scene...

I thought the Anavilhanas archipelago was just a remote inhabitted place with pristine habitats, from the pictorials of Brazilian magazines I've seen. This place has long been in my travel wishlist...Do you have any google earth picture of the exact location?

Keep the picanha in the grill, I'll be soon visiting you and Raquel for lunch... :o

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno,

Actually the Anavilhanas region was one of the first areas inhabited by Europeans and had a pretty good population of indians before their arrival.  For the most part the area is very pristine.  The islands are not inhabited.  The margins of the river is not what is known as APA (areas de proteção ambiental) or Envrionmental Protection Areas.  The islands themselves are a Federal Ecological reserve.  This is both good and bad.  The bad side is that these programs frequently do not take the needs of the local people into account.  The depend on fish to eat, and the fish are mostly in the islands.  To be truly sustainable both the Ecosystem and the people that live as part of it must be considered.  Behind the place is nothing but virgin forest for maybe 150 to 200 kms.  You can see the area on this image.  

I hope you make it over to cruise around the islands with me.  You could think about being part of our fishing trip in September.

dk

After looking at this image again I see that I put the Maravilha pin in the wrong place.   It should be moved up a bit to where the channel is narrow and there are several islands in a group.  Just in front of the islands is where the igarape is.  That is what the picture above is looking out over.

Fishingtrip.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here is the exact location of the property.  I think a couple of jet skies would do well here also.

dk

Marvilhacasadocampo.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

A few forest palms on the property.

forestpalm.jpg

babypalm.jpg

Palmbaby.jpg

A nice Oenocarpus bacaba

bacabagrande.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I found this fern very intersting.  I have not seen it around here before.  I did notice some growing on the Indian Reservation last trip north though.  It is quite nice.

dk

BigFern.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

it seems you know in and out of amazon and its people &

their life style.you are a person having a hectic proffessional life and you even know how to relax.usually these two things never go hand in hand.but you are an exception my friend.

as i told this before,i must learn a lot from you...

thanks for those stills,

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Don, You truly live in paradise. There is not a boring, ugly scene anywhere over where you are. The google earth images show the enormity of the river and the beauty of it from space contrasting with the green forest. I hope all your plans for the new retreat work out for you and you have your own Euterpe plantation. Awesome. What were the understory palms you showed pics of? The entire leaf one looked like a Chamaedorea, and what was that beautiful clumping pinnate one with a red new leaf?

Keep those photos coming. I feel so relaxed after reading this thread.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I believe that this is the same palm as the one with the small leaves above.  I am not sure what it is but it is very nice.  There are a  lot of them in the primary forest understory.

smallpalm1.jpg

Smallpalm4.jpg

This is about as tall as I saw them getting.

Smallpalmfruits.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, the leaflets are almost Arenga like without the shiny undersides. Of course it aint an Arenga where you are.

Maybe Jason will know. It aint a chammie but he knows a lot of South American palms. You out there Jay?

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I am not sure that I have the right ID for this palm but it looks like it could be Iriartella setigera.  From my American palm handbook this looks like the closest match.  Maybe someone else has another idea.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(krisachar @ Jun. 27 2007,11:18)

it seems you know in and out of amazon and its people &

their life style.you are a person having a hectic proffessional life and you even know how to relax.usually these two things never go hand in hand.but you are an exception my friend.

as i told this before,i must learn a lot from you...

thanks for those stills,

Love,

Kris,

Thanks for your comments.  I guess I know a bit about Amazonia, but there is still a tremendous amount to learn. I really don't have too hectic professional life.  I have been designing things so that I can do what I want where I want.  There is a lot of work, but it is fun and I get to do it in a beautiful place.  So, I don't really know what could be better.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg