IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix Alfredii Grove

FishEyeAquaculture

15 hours ago, Merlyn said:

The largest one in the picture I posted earlier was only about 10' from the house, on the SE side and very protected from the wind.  I didn't notice any bronzing on it today.  The other 3 in the back yard are about 10' tall each and had no apparent issues either.  The front yard one does have a bit of bronzing on the tops of the leaves, but definitely not too bad.  It's at the level of, "yeah that doesn't look quite green to me."  This was my temperature profile in the back yard, I don't have a sensor up front:

529156717_Christmasfreeze2020.thumb.jpg.75cc278205bb8d7aa7c60c3254a33f4e.jpg

yeah such a short duration below freezing and a 10' palm is a far better situation.  When small(mine was just going pinnate) the palm cools off faster and we had 6-7 hris below freezeing with frost about 1-1.5mm thick.  Small objects -including palms- cool off faster than big ones, and near the ground will be coldest, and that is where the frost deposits.  The heaviest frost waw near the ground but there was enough to kill royals at 15 gallon size, but my little ALfie just got 80%(?) burn.  Today the trunk is kind of thick and the bud is 7-8' above ground. 

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

19 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Do you think size of the plant as something to do with that? Mine is just a bit smaller than @Merlyn’s pictured above, and I know he had temps below freezing if I’m not recalling comments on the freeze watch thread inaccurately. I’d imagine a palm this size would suffer MUCH more than a palm that us large and a bit more off the ground. 

On that note, how’s your 25 footer do in the cold? At what size did frost stop becoming an issue? I’d also love to see a pic so I can dream about how large mine could be in ten years haha. I rarely get to see large specimens and have only ever seen 1 in person that was trunking over at MB Palms, south of Orlando. 

My 25' alfredii has not seen frost below freezing for any real duration since 2010 so I dont know how its hardiness changes with size.  But physics of heat transfer say it should do better.  I have had no leaf burn since 2010 including the 2018 ice storm where in an advective event(no frost) it was below freezing for 8+ hrs with a low of 30F.  When this species first was in cultivation californian palm talkers related small size palms taking as low as 25F without damage and survival down to the low 20's.  In florida they were killed outright in the low 20's at 6-7' tall with heavy frost up in the florida panhandle(forum member "Tank" I think).  There were discussions about purple stem vs lighter stem varieties that had differing cold tolerance.  But none of it was scientifically recorded and anthocyanins giving the purple color are a cold response by many plants.  From all this data in the freeze section and posts I think its likely that our Southeastern colds of longer duration are more damaging and that frost is an additional danger below freezing for several hours.  Read the freeze section, not sure all posts are still there but there we large discussions on this palms cold hardiness and it appears a 9a palm ojt west and a cold 9B plam in the southeast once it gets some size.  If I were planting small ones I would protect them for a few years.  Once they get some size they will probably take a cold 9B here in florida pretty well.  

• Like 1

Tom Blank

Here's the front yard Alfie, after the 28F & frost and then 11 hours of 31-33F the next night.  It has some spotting and yellowing on the leaf ends, but mostly just on the one frond on the right side middle.  That wasn't there last week.  But that is pretty minimal for those temperatures.  None of the others have any noticeable damage, yet.

2074140758_P1070115Alfredii.thumb.JPG.ff750bacc4dcf98828f3ec44afcf8043.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

@Merlyn keep us posted on how your Alfies have done after those Temps. I was under the impression Alfies were frost tender especially when young. I plan on trying them in 9a in a sheltered spot once bigger. 

T J 

wow you guys hit 28F, we havent gone below 38F this winter.  Looks like your 10 footer is probably out of the woods, frost wise.  Having an established root system also helps many palms be more cold hardy. 

Tom Blank

On 12/27/2020 at 4:53 AM, FishEyeAquaculture said:

This deserves an update!

Since being planted at knee to waist high, the specimens pictured in the first post are now right at my head height, with some over my head (~6').....in only 20 months!!!!!!!

They've been through: 

• couple Tropical Storms
  • frost on several occasions (light to heavy) 
  • 32F-35F multiple times
  • Below 32F a handful of mornings (lowest is 27F)

B. alfredii 12-10-20.jpg

*three smaller specimens in the back are more recent additions to this grouping (added in Feb2020)

That is nice.  I can only imagine what it's going to look when they are full grown.  It will look like a tropical jungle.  I just got mine which will take some time to get that big.

20201230_101453.jpg

20201230_101547.jpg

• Like 2

.  That grove is going to be epic.  I vote a chainsaw for the other trees, bzzzzz.

• Upvote 1

Tom Blank

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread and it's exciting! I'm not far from you, in Brooksville at about 130ft elevation (it was 28F here also). So, we're neighbors! I'd love to check out your place some time :)

I just picked up a small one of these from MB Palms at the Leu Gardens sale. Plan to grow it up for a season or two and then plant it out somewhere with a little protection. 

Your grove will be absolutely stunning in a few years!

• Like 1

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

• 9 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 5:53 AM, FishEyeAquaculture said:

This deserves an update!

It sure does, as it's been another year!!!  How's it looking???  :36_14_15[1]:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 8:36 AM, Scott W said:

It sure does, as it's been another year!!!  How's it looking???  :36_14_15[1]:

The first photo was taken on Saturday, 1/29/22, before the imminent frigid doom forecasted to plunder and pillage the majority of Florida.

Second photo was taken on 2/1/22, ~72hrs after experiencing a low of 24F (little to no frost).

I LOVE these palms.  The bigger they get,  the more cold tolerance they seem to develop.  My only complaint is that their large fronds are equivalent to sails in high wind and certain specimens get too wobbly for my liking.  Boulders at the base is the hopeful remedy for this.   

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

The first photo was taken on Saturday, 1/29/22, before the imminent frigid doom forecasted to plunder and pillage the majority of Florida.

Second photo was taken on 2/1/22, ~72hrs after experiencing a low of 24F (little to no frost).

I LOVE these palms.  The bigger they get,  the more cold tolerance they seem to develop.  My only complaint is that their large fronds are equivalent to sails in high wind and certain specimens get too wobbly for my liking.  Boulders at the base is the hopeful remedy for this.   

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

very nice, great growth in less than 3 years ... I think these are cold hardier than we think.. 3-4 years ago I lost many palms to a very sever frost we had but my Becci didn't feel it at all... alas I cant take it with me as I sold the property, good news is I could source one which I should be able to plant in another property :) ...I wish I had more space for more than one

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

Looking great, and definitely glad to hear they took the cold weather unscathed!  Interesting on the wind issue though, and I think I read that in another thread as well.  Hopefully some secondary means of holding them in helps.

8 hours ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

That's great news!  I hit 24.4 in the backyard, and my 3 back there have some brown leaflets but no major damage.  It was in the 24-26F range for a whopping 4 hours, and are fully exposed for the medium frost I got that night.  They are the tallest things in that area at 12-15'.  So I'm hopeful that the visible damage now is about as bad as they get:

1871681212_P1090011BeccariophoenixAlfredii24F.thumb.JPG.1abb60c7c03b95120bb1ede878646fd5.JPG

The 1g seedlings I got from you last year did fine in my nursery area at a minimum of 28F.  BTW - In October I turned 3 of them into the BECCARIOPHOENIX TRIPLE OF DOOM!!!  :D :D :D

1376592572_P1080722BeccariophoenixAlfrediiTripleofDOOM100621.thumb.JPG.b5a7fa152d7ed2e712a56a348264240b.JPG

• Like 1