IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Arenga ryukyuensis habitat pitcures

palmfriend

Hello there,

while my ladies went out for a school basketball event I asked my son if he would like to see a "jungle trail" and he said yes -

so here we go.

I have been there five or six times but never posted any pictures - I was honored to show this place @bgl in November last year -  

so, I think it is about time to let the palm talkers know.

050.thumb.JPG.a098ada757c3506d1124d5a9aab49cc1.JPG

The location is on one of our smaller neighbor islands - this time Kurima island - which are all connected via bridges with the main island Miyako. This photos was taken on

Kurima, looking back to Miyako island.

Parking the car and entering the trails's entrance.

001.thumb.JPG.67bab11fdbe3b88ab4adbfc23f10f03a.JPG

Arenga palms are welcoming you soon. The trail itself is a ravine between a huge limestone on the right (towards the islands center)...

010.thumb.JPG.7a9a43c31fed2feeae3285b4aa9818a2.JPG

and a several meters high limestone barrier on the left - between the sea and the ravine.

018.thumb.JPG.cdbf05d28589c896e2961cdf3621050f.JPG

The result is an almost untouched habitat, naturally protected from typhoons - which is the most important fact - and regarding the non-welcoming parking area

probably almost unknown to any tourist coming down here... Ok, let's go on.

002.thumb.JPG.ed7bc6c246636de5287035f250cf359f.JPG

Just beautiful - Arengas are everywhere.

003.thumb.JPG.87b90e6f27e9d535d3df7ff5d711133a.JPG

Thick boscage with Arengas all around.

004.thumb.JPG.061377706b919fba8f57ae7130950beb.JPG

005.thumb.JPG.7cbd94868b2ff6f8c5aa6c00f28829d5.JPG

Moving on...

006.thumb.JPG.4c1d413a0125c42152b9f1ee2b26f8fc.JPG

But still breathtakingly beautiful...

007.thumb.JPG.7554bf82c6bbffdb599fe0f47a2b4fc4.JPG

A paradise.

009.thumb.JPG.9a688b8a498c9525989137932b663e3a.JPG

Finally, here they are...

015.thumb.JPG.87332a65a1d692131315db4de8f31bea.JPG

...flowering Arengas.

013.thumb.JPG.ea69cc1e73896d54b646876750f1c44f.JPG

030.thumb.JPG.aa274ce06e799f7c677b3c4aeba4992b.JPG

I have to confess that I took seeds several times but I never ever got one of them sprouted. Interesting is those palms are never

sold over here, so I have to keep going to find my luck right here at the source.

019.thumb.JPG.b4454f8f68b91caa2aea81f62d198279.JPG

Reaching the end of the trail, here some Noni-trees in the wild...

021.thumb.JPG.82c3a2264ed5364fc201e991c69fcc39.JPG

Turning around, you can see the huge limestone (now) on the left and the barrier on the right - the trails goes right through it.

022.thumb.JPG.4e50c748723118a69111725f0bec05b9.JPG

Another 180, same position - the open sea.

023.thumb.JPG.fcef383d51d056c237dc96a7fdc7bf19.JPG

Looking back again and focussing on the limestone rock, cycads all around.

032.thumb.JPG.c2425c8edcc0b497b7104dee5dd75ed9.JPG

Walking back to the parking area, still enjoying the scenery...

031.JPG.bf2a2e5d4f4423dd83f65a6528445a11.JPG

...here a single Papaya tree...

033.thumb.JPG.ecbcca06870789cc5ff5355a4ade733a.JPG

...but still admiring the countless Arenga palms.

Ok, after enjoying this wonderful spot while taking my time to look around carefully/take photos here and there, my son and 

I enjoyed at least another hour at the island's beautiful shore

036.thumb.JPG.58ace5cb4bb7b573853d1ed2460cc479.JPG

Al right - thank you very much for your time and my apologies for the low photo quality, I just had my phone 

with me -

best regards from Miyako island/Okinawa

Lars

015.JPG

034.JPG

• Like 14
  • Upvote 8

What a beautiful place, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Lars, what great habitat pics.  That is quite a trail.  I wonder if that was something left over from WW2?  Did the Arenga flowers have the good sweet pungent smell like other Arengas?  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

Great photos and a wonderful place to go palm gazing. Having that path there is awesome. That species should be grown more in cultivation.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

Hi Lars, thanks for the tour. I've got a couple arengas in my front garden, going on 4 years, I think (maybe 3...). It's good to be reminded what they'll look like in a decade or so.

Cheers,
JT

• Like 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Lars,

Yes, that was a great day back in November when I visited you. :) Thank you again! Beautiful scenery and that jungle trail (with NOBODY else there!) was definitely spectacular. Here's a few photos I took that day. And for those of you who haven't been there - last photo shows the hillside right next to the jungle trail. Walking on the trail and looking straight up every now and then you could see all these cycads hanging onto the almost vertical hillside. Wow! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG

DSC_0815.JPG

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I just have to echo everyone else......thank you for sharing Lars.  Really cool place.

Great pictures from Bo as well.  

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your friendly and encouraging comments!

Since this place is just marked with a half-heartened sign, I am sure there are probably much more

places waiting to be discovered.  I am on it and I will let you know while showing my own palms from to time

to time.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:34 AM, Mike Evans said:

Lars, what great habitat pics.  That is quite a trail.  I wonder if that was something left over from WW2?  Did the Arenga flowers have the good sweet pungent smell like other Arengas?  Thanks for posting!

Mike, 

WW2 went over this island quite quickly and usually all war-related places are unmistakably well marked - this place got non of it

and so I am quite sure, it is purely natural.  Regarding the smell of the flowers, I got to back to check but I will do this with great 

pleasure since I am really enjoying to be there. I will let you know!

On 4/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, Palmarum said:

Great photos and a wonderful place to go palm gazing. Having that path there is awesome. That species should be grown more in cultivation.

Ryan

Ryan,

I always like your documentations about the South Floridian events and so I am glad I could give something back! 

Since fully grown Arengas are quite common in several gardens over here, I am sure that I am still missing some 

small detail to get its seeds germinated. 

44 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Since fully grown Arengas are quite common in several gardens over here, I am sure that I am still missing some small detail to get its seeds germinated. 

Did you plant the whole fruits or the cleanly washed seeds? (Beware, the mesocarp is extremely alcaline!)

26301791_ArengaengleriseedsNakagusuku1987.thumb.jpg.ae9b9af0ffbd97f7f5937e9fa873ffb5.jpg

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Ups, I must have have been somehow disconnected.

However, @JT in Japan, nice to hear from you again - I would love to have at least one of them in my garden to study 

their growth rate but I am on it. Their must be a way to get one of their countless grown seeds over here germinated ;) 

@bgl: Bo-Göran, yes indeed, that was a wonderful day! As mentioned above, I think there is still much more to be 

discovered over here and I am on it! 

I am going to post my "results" here on palm talk so "stay tuned" -

best regards

Lars

5 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Did you plant the whole fruits or the cleanly washed seeds? (Beware, the mesocarp is extremely alcaline!)

26301791_ArengaengleriseedsNakagusuku1987.thumb.jpg.ae9b9af0ffbd97f7f5937e9fa873ffb5.jpg

Pal Meir,

it is almost two in the morning after the first day of 令和元年 - I need to go to bed ;) . But your advice is highly appreciated -

and thank you for posting your entry ticket from 1962!!

Best regards -

Lars

6 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Pal Meir,

it is almost two in the morning after the first day of 令和元年 - I need to go to bed ;) . But your advice is highly appreciated -

and thank you for posting your entry ticket from 1962!!

Best regards -

Lars

お休みなさい!

Not AD 1962, but 昭和62年 = 1987!

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

お休みなさい!

Not AD 1962, but 昭和62年 = 1987!

Good Morning ;) 

Oh, my bad - thank you for correcting me! It must have been too late yesterday/this morning.

Best regards -

Lars

• 3 months later...

@palmfriend In older Japanese books and articles on the botany of the Ryûkyûs there was distinguished between two spp of Arenga: A engleri = kurotugu 桄榔 and A tremula = komi-kurotsugu 小実桄榔, the latter only on Iriomote. Cf. also:

http://www43.tok2.com/home/gajimaru18/16/kurotugu.html

• Like 1

Hodel et al.: Palms of Taiwan PALMS Vol. 58(4) 2014, p. 165:
»Notes: The range of Arenga engleri once extended into the Ryukyu Islands of southern Japan. However, Henderson (2006) concluded that the Japanese plants were a distinct species, and he named them A. ryukyuensis. He stated that A. ryukyuensis differed in its pinnae with prominent ribs adaxially and lacking mid- pinna lobes. Nevertheless, an examination of plants growing in Taiwan and the Ryukyu Islands showed variability in pinna lobing and adaxial ribbing, suggesting only one, highly variable species. Arenga engleri is hapaxanthic but not monocarpic because, while individual stems die after flowering, the plant lives on through the production of new stems from the base.«

• Like 1

@Pal Meir: Thank you very much for the

very interesting link and for citing Hodel

about the current state of research - very

interesting and helpful. 

From now on I am going to put a bit more

focus on this species than before when

being out for 'palm gazing'. 

best regards from Okinawa 

Lars