IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

15g Phoenix roebellini flowering in Canadian greenhouse

Rickybobby

Hey everyone my local palm green house has a bunch of 15g roebellini that are producing seeds. The owner told me I can have whatever I want. Which is cool. Here is one pic. Do you think they will be viable. 

I would love to buy one.  But I already have some and don’t really need it 

068A8E00-8E94-469C-A566-5A7B78102E94.jpeg

They are dioecious so you need both sexes for viable seeds. I'm not sure what sex the palm in the photo is but I presume, wrongly maybe, that the owner will be able to sex them. Were any of the others also flowering? I have a triple - 2 females, 1 male - I have to keep ahead of or they would pepper the whole yard with volunteer seedlings.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They are dioecious so you need both sexes for viable seeds. I'm not sure what sex the palm in the photo is but I presume, wrongly maybe, that the owner will be able to sex them. Were any of the others also flowering? I have a triple - 2 females, 1 male - I have to keep ahead of or they would pepper the whole yard with volunteer seedlings.

A bunch of them in the green house were flowering so I guess we will see I’m going back in two weeks to pick up my palms and maybe can see the changes. Thanks. I don’t know too much about their flowering but I know now!

Try and find a male and a female pollinate them in the greenhouse then come back a couple weeks, see if it has successfully been pollinated and then buy it. Looks like a nice nursery!

It’s a husband wife pair that love tropical stuff they rent a back section of a massive greenhouse in my area they seem to care a lot and all the plants look good. In the past I’ve seen alof of palms that were shipped up from Florida with nutrient deficiency and root issues. 

When I go back if I can pollinate the palms I will the owner said go at it