IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinnate Palm Id

palmsOrl

In addition to the coconut I posted about, I also purchased this tall, skinny, pinnate palm when I was at Green’s Nursery today.   They have a bunch of varying sizes and just called it “mystery palm”.

I bought this 8ft. palm for $10.

About ten years ago, I bought the same kind of palm from them at the same size, but they just had a few then.  A few of you might remember, at the time, I inquired on a thread as to this palm’s ID, and the conscensus was either a Ptychosperma or a Veitchia species.  Ten years later, does anyone have a clue as to which species this palm is?

A40029DE-A9DF-4D11-A344-20B643CADC34.jpeg

Second photo.  We actually took the car today, so this 8 foot palm had to sit in the back seat with its crown hanging out the back window.  The leaves got buffetted a bit by the 65 mph winds driving on the Expressway on the way home, but it looked barely bothered when we arrived home.

F25B85D4-CA0B-4818-AB9D-21A324019887.jpeg

Looks like one of the non clumping Chamaedorea species. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Agree with one of the rarer, very small statured Veitchia species.  All of the ones he has are small statured, even some in much bigger pots and those better nourished.  The one I had back in the day stayed the same trunk thickness and crown size after being really well fertilized for a while.

Good!  I love Veitchia.

Still looks like a stunted V. arecina to me based on the pale crownshaft and the black banding where the petioles meet. Notice the much wider growth rings toward the bottom and the penciling as you head towards the crownshaft. The palm also looks chlorotic and has probably been root bound for a long time. 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Nope, Jim, I bought it because it is a palm with 6 feet of clear trunk for $10, I like how it looks even now and I know based on buying the same type in early 2009 that it will green up and the crown will fill out beautifully with six months of summer weather.  I like the skinny trunk.

Note Xenon, I am almost certain this isn’t V. arecina since that species has a MUCH thicker trunk and larger leaves and even the well nourished ones at the nursery have the super skinny trunk.  There are Veitchia species with super skinny trunks.  I will look into it.  In addition, the leaves will get a bit bigger with good growing but stay much shorter and slighter than V. arecina and most other Veitchia.

One last thing, I know the one I bought has some pencil pointing from malnutrition and being pot bound, but the healthy ones have a trunk the thickness of the bottom couple feet of mine, without the narrowing (pencil pointing).

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Upvote 1

Pretty sure it’s V. arecina. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Definitely a  Veitchia that should've been put in the burn pile along time ago.  10 bucks isn't bad though for a sickly palm 

• Upvote 1

The one I bought in early 2009 was the same height (maybe charged $20) and just as “sickly”.   After 6 months it looked incredible and had put on almost a foot of trunk and had a crown of deep green leaves.  2010, the worst winter since 1989 did kill it, but I will always zone push as I like the challenge.

The way I fertilize, the palm will be deep green in a month.

Edited by palmsOrl

On 4/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, palmsOrl said:

Second photo.  We actually took the car today, so this 8 foot palm had to sit in the back seat with its crown hanging out the back window.  The leaves got buffetted a bit by the 65 mph winds driving on the Expressway on the way home, but it looked barely bothered when we arrived home.

F25B85D4-CA0B-4818-AB9D-21A324019887.jpeg

Is Greens on Round Lake Rd.? North of Zellwood?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Yes Eric, that’s the one.  If you haven’t been, you need to go, you will love it.  You should get one of the Veitchia for Leu Gardens.

I might get one for my yard in Altamonte Springs! 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Go for it Eric!  Mine already looks much greener with Miracle grow daily.  The two rings still under the crown shaft are no thinner than the ones below, so it has a bright future.  I love tall, skinny palms.

Okay, via a search I found the thread from 2009 where I purchased this same palm and was trying to figure out which species it is.  It was $25 that time apparently, which I still thought was a great deal.

In that thread I thought I had posted a photo but I must not have, thus I didn’t bump the thread.  In that post, I had concluded this palm is actually Ptychosperma salomonense.  Any chance that this palm is indeed a malnourished P. salomonense.  Palmpedia has many excellent photos of this species.  

I still think most likely this is Veitchia, but it also looks like P. salomonense.

• 2 weeks later...

A little over a week of copious water and fertilizer and it is already looking much better.

9A6D918B-1605-4CA8-88D8-903855A59626.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You know, I thought my D.carlsmithii seedlings were gonners a week ago. Well, from their original 1 gallons I repotted them to 7 gallon containers, lotsa water and a new mix (this time not Black magic potting/peat mix soil) I employed: garden Kellogg organics palm, cactus and citrus indoor/outdoor soil.

15574495744268200462449552279674.jpg

15574495886803562773962527288318.jpg

20190509_175403-980x2016.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 1 month later...

This palm is looking even better now, I need to get an updated photo.

I have decided it is definitely a Veitchia, and I think Veitchia spiralis is a good possibility.  Photo from Palmpedia.

1255EFBE-02D2-4E27-916E-876E06E00849.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an update on this mystery Veitchia on this rainy day.  It is doing great, the newest portion of the trunk under the bottom of the crownshaft is nice and fat, it is growing a new leaf per month and it has greened up considerably.  I am going to pick up 2-3 more next time I go to Green’s.  I hope to get seed eventually.  Are Veitchia monoecious?

0EE970B5-12DF-422D-AA2B-148A656D7EB4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on this palm, nice and healthy with a full crown of healthy leaves.  I remain convinced it is one of the petite Veitchia species.  Unless of course it is a member of a more unusual genus like, say, Drymophloeus.

Any Veitchia experts have thoughts?

20190903_191750.jpg

• Like 4

nice job. I cant give you an I.D., but the main thing is that you enjoy it and it shows. Well spent $10, who knows how it will look in another yr. could be spectacular, please keep posting pic updates. thanks Mark

• Upvote 1

Thank you Mark.  This palm, whatever it is, is definitely one of my favorites.  I plan to get a few more on my next visit to Green's.  It will be interesting to see how tall it gets and if it suffers noticeably during a normal winter here (probably a bit).  I won't let it freeze though.

I still think V arecina is most likely. 

• Like 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Personally, I like pinnate palms with thin trunks. Not a big fan of Jubaea chilensis.

Mike, your palm looks like a semi-plumose (feathery) single Dypsis lutescens. 

It's very nice.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

again I cant I.but i.d.. the palm,  but you obviously are taking better care of it than the seller,( which is sad in itself), you may be able to get him to go even lower in price.  Im sure others are not seeing what you see in it. Im one to cluster, you may find a couple others that compliment it, and even if you are unable to get him to lower the price, its still a win/win for you. thank Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Mark!  At $7, I couldn't complain.

I wonder if this could be a Hydriastele like H. microspadix (see attached).

I am still thinking Veitchia or possibly Ptychosperma salomonense, but H. microspadix is a possibility.

400px-Hydrastelewhole.jpg

Edited by palmsOrl

I've probably walked through that greenhouse 20-30 times and never noticed that they were different than a stretched-out Adonidia!  Is that the greenhouse just behind their "main office" one with the cash register?

• Upvote 1

Yes, they are in the greenhouse sort of adjacent to and behind the large shade house attached to the area with the cash register.  I have seen Adonidia in there as well as foxtails, bottles, queens and perhaps Ptychosperma elegans at one point too.  But these are definitely something different.  They are mixed in but mostly near the center line of the greenhouse.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post one more shot of this palm, at least for this year, since it is now at peak health, in case anyone has an idea as to its true identity.

20191015_210835.jpg

• Like 3

Hi, it looks great, put on quite a bit of growth.  Amazing what a little TLC can do.  Definitely went to the right home.  Mark

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Let's try to ID this one again and see if anybody has an "Aha!" moment.  These are both photos of the same species at two different sizes.  I took the photos this evening.

Very sensitive to cold.  Substantial foliage burn was already underway at 39F-40F and 20mph winds near a lake.

It does great in full sun but tolerates at least some shade and maybe would tolerate heavier shade.

Growth rate is fast during ideal growing conditions.

20200613_193949.jpg

20200613_194010.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am going to try yet again to get an ID on this species.

It is completely solitary, fairly fast growing, and quite cold-sensitive (I wouldn’t plant it in the ground in 10a), with narrow leaflets that are not flared like the Ptycosperma I have seen.  I also do not know if I have seen a Ptchosperma species that has such narrow leaflets.

3A9E27F1-2A59-4B44-9DB9-89BC8A576B21.thumb.jpeg.8ec3bb87a6c6bf642e9e3e96b129e1b2.jpeg

I feel the trunk looks like a Veitchia, granted a particularly skinny Veitchia and there are species of Veitchia that fit this description.  Further, the crownshaft is not smooth but “fuzzy” like Veitchia.

Here is an updated photo of the smaller of the two palms.

02C29C24-37D3-448B-9E1F-3A7726B9A7DB.thumb.jpeg.af81aee5ddc0405b98b4107f9c7d84e1.jpeg

633F79A9-F969-476B-822F-9999F2FEA8AD.jpeg