IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My store bought coconut secrets revealed

Rickybobby

Sorry for my parrot kawi squawking 

i made half of this video and realized it wasn’t recording. As it states in a year I’ve germinated about 20 coconuts this way

• Like 1

Great stuff mate, I've got a couple of aquarium heaters lying around here I think I'll have a crack at this! Thanks for sharing your efforts. 

1 minute ago, sandgroper said:

Great stuff mate, I've got a couple of aquarium heaters lying around here I think I'll have a crack at this! Thanks for sharing your efforts. 

Your welcome. Advantages to this cheaper than a heat mat! The water insulated to a point. Remember this is for indoor germinating. Also another secret you can float your baggy method seeds in the bucket as well keeps everything nice and warm and no burning 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Good work. It's great to see people coming up with innovations to grow palms.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Curious if any of the store bought Coconuts with husk removed and then sprouted using this quick method have survived longer than 6 months.

• Upvote 1

I‘ve tried this a while ago but ended with a nut covered in fungus and the smell was terrible. :D

I will try this again at some point. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Curious if any of the store bought Coconuts with husk removed and then sprouted using this quick method have survived longer than 6 months.

I did this with two coconuts from the Dominican Republic a few years ago and they're still alive and well. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Awesome video! Here is my coconut I germinated from the store. I did mine in a similar way, I soaked it for three days, left it in a bowl in a bag half filled with water, and then let it sit. Mine took longer since I applied no heat other than it being in the warmest room in my house. It is just now starting to grow fast! 

20190425_171603.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

35 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome video! Here is my coconut I germinated from the store. I did mine in a similar way, I soaked it for three days, left it in a bowl in a bag half filled with water, and then let it sit. Mine took longer since I applied no heat other than it being in the warmest room in my house. It is just now starting to grow fast! 

20190425_171603.jpg

Oh. That's a golden coco...nice

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I was never able to do that, not sure I am doing anything wrong or the coconuts in Europe arrive all dead, I end up getting mold after a while but never a sprout:s

13 minutes ago, Cluster said:

I was never able to do that, not sure I am doing anything wrong or the coconuts in Europe arrive all dead, I end up getting mold after a while but never a sprout:s

I had to try a few times, I had the mold issue too. I left the top of the bag open half way. 

PalmTreeDude

8 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Um yeah 

5 hours ago, MelvinB said:

I‘ve tried this a while ago but ended with a nut covered in fungus and the smell was terrible. :D

I will try this again at some point. 

This happens it’s part of nature. I’ve had a few that literally almost explode and the coconut water comes out and causes the smell its ok it’s fun and you try again like I said this last year I’ve germinated around 20 and since it got easier I started experimenting with durations between being in the bag and planting 

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I had to try a few times, I had the mold issue too. I left the top of the bag open half way. 

The good thing about the bucket is. That everything touching the seed is set temperature. Heat mats or furnaces or whatever can be very hot until a thermostat reaches temp and backs off. Or in some cases only the bottom is hot and top is cooler. This method basically Mimmicks the coconut floating in warm ocean

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Like I mentioned in the video when there’s a bunch of seeds at the store look for one with a slight. Buldge in one of the eyes. Almost a guarantee. Also in doing this past summer I saw a coconut germinate in an air condition store during summer and the sprout hit the plastic wrap and died 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Um yeah 

So you have some over 6 months old that were started using the "quick" method in a bucket? I know many folks have germinated store bought Cocos and kept them alive, that wasn't my question. I am curious ONLY about using the quick method of forcing germination with high heat in a bucket and then if the plant survives past the point of it using the nutrients in the fruit.

This quick method doesn’t force anything. It gives it the same temps as it would in the tropics. The bucket just gives it nice radiant warmth and is more efficient on the wallet 

18 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Did you put the half water filled bag inside a dry bowl or was the bowl also with water? Won't that also cause mold to the part of the coco that is under water, despite having the bag opened?

So basically with this method the bag with the coconut floats in the water, do you also put some water inside each bag?

2 hours ago, Cluster said:

Did you put the half water filled bag inside a dry bowl or was the bowl also with water? Won't that also cause mold to the part of the coco that is under water, despite having the bag opened?

The bowl was simply to hold the coconut, no water in it. 

20180901_212459.jpg

20180928_222840.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Interesting. I do the same (bowl, baggie and water) but the bowl is there to make sure the water doesn't touch the coconut.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

And as far as husked coco's go, this is the poor man's version of germinating them in an outside bathroom (south facing):

During the day, the brood lamp is off. The sun hits the southern wall and melts everything inside. Coldest night, the broodlamp turns on. 

Two bowls of water to keep the humidity up and hopefully, we'll get a shoot.

Crossing my fingers 

15563184693145849183056643824807.jpg

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Interesting. I do the same (bowl, baggie and water) but the bowl is there to make sure the water doesn't touch the coconut.

The baggy version has produced this: a golden Mexican tall. (Chiquita banana styled label from the 99c store read: product of Jal, Mex)

Notice no husk. I got lucky with the colour.

15563204770002730973754680551254.jpg

15563205001141293625900163587111.jpg

7 hours ago, Cluster said:

So basically with this method the bag with the coconut floats in the water, do you also put some water inside each bag?

Yes just a splash to keep humidity up but the seeds isn’t soaked. But as it floats the 90f water makes contact with over half the seed and the heat just radiates around. Way more efficient for an indoor application. I put a coconut in a ziplock bag with water and left it on my deck here in Canada and it germinated in a week in the hot sun here   So what can I say 

13 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

This quick method doesn’t force anything. It gives it the same temps as it would in the tropics. The bucket just gives it nice radiant warmth and is more efficient on the wallet 

^^^  This does not answer my question......  So I ask again.   Have any survived longer than 6 months using the quick germination technique of a 5 gal bucket of water with an aquarium heater at 90F ? 

Ok so i germinate in the bucket and after a few months I graduate the palm to a pot and soil and yes   My very first seed I did this went a year. Only draw back was I used to soggy of soil and when it got cooler some roots rotted. Total beginners mistake 

This isn’t a quick method  this is a very efficient indoor method please don’t over think this. It’s just a way of mimicking normal conditions. Indoors!

I bought a new supermarket coconut today, it is heavy and full of water but it doesn't float:S. Could it be viable regardless? Do you also leave the zip bag opened with these methods? 

Edited by Cluster

39 minutes ago, Cluster said:

I bought a new supermarket coconut today, it is heavy and full of water but it doesn't float:S. Could it be viable regardless? Do you also leave the zip bag opened with these methods? 

If it doesn't float, kaput. 

57 minutes ago, Cluster said:

I agree a sinker is bad. But I close the bags. They were only open for the video. If you want to have some fun buy 3 at a time and fill the bucket. Helps your chances. Not everyone will be viable and some that sprout don’t always make it. But when I show my friends what I can do it wows them.  Enjoy 

@Rickybobby

YOU

ARE

NUTTY!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.