IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

palm ID Brownsville? Coconut maybe?

Mr.SamuraiSword

I'm thinking maybe an Attalea.

• Like 2

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

It looks like a coconut with a flush of new fronds.

Edited by scottgt
  • Like 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

11 minutes ago, scottgt said:

It looks like a coconut with a flush of new fronds.

Would second Scott's thought.

Personally I don’t know a lot about Attalea’s, but just by seeing the crown of leaves and nothing else this looks a lot like Beccariophoenix Alfredii to me. My young ones both have that drastic sideways bend to the leafs.

I would be more inclined to believe it is something other than a coconut if the rest of the garden had other more unusual palms . It does not. I find it odd that it is a random Beccariophoenix or Attalea sp. . "Exotic" palms are not easily available in the area, just a very basic pallet . This is not Florida .

Maybe someone from the area will chime in on this topic.......

• Like 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

The crown, the fronds, the petioles...they're all "off" for a coconut. 

FWIW, Attalea butyracea is native about 200 miles to the south in southern Tamaulipas. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

From what I have noticed is that a coconut's tallest leaves begin the curve from the middle of the rachis.  The palm in the pic seems to have the old leaves do that but not the newest.

In fact, it seems the curvature on these begin almost at the 1/4 of the way if not less from the tips.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I also believe it is an Attalea butyracea. These are much hardier than a coconut and would likely do better there.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Pardon me for jacking this thread, but have Attalea hybrids with Butia or Jubaea been reported?  The phylogeny in the Attalea Wikipedia article places them closer to Butia and Jubaea, than is Syagrus.  From the looks of this palm, and other images on the Internet, I would think Butia or Jubaea hybrids could be magnificent.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

• 7 months later...
On 4/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, awkonradi said:

Pardon me for jacking this thread, but have Attalea hybrids with Butia or Jubaea been reported?  The phylogeny in the Attalea Wikipedia article places them closer to Butia and Jubaea, than is Syagrus.  From the looks of this palm, and other images on the Internet, I would think Butia or Jubaea hybrids could be magnificent.

Attalea hybrid with Butia , Jubaea or even Syagrus would be really cool. 

T J 

Yeah that would be a pretty impressive hybrid!  Count me in for an Attalea-Butia hybrid if someone could figure out how to do it!  Cold hardiness, tropical humidity and rain tolerance and relatively good disease resistance all with hybrid growth speed...not to mention 30-40 foot long fronds, yikes!

I'd go along with the Attalea on the original post, possibly Cohune or Crassispatha based on my Thanksgiving trip to Fairchild.  Cohune seems to have less space between leaflets compared to the original photo, but it's probably cold hardy enough to survive there.

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I'd go along with the Attalea on the original post, possibly Cohune or Crassispatha based on my Thanksgiving trip to Fairchild.  Cohune seems to have less space between leaflets compared to the original photo, but it's probably cold hardy enough to survive there.

There are some big royals next door and even coconuts in the area, so it really hasn't seen any real cold (below 28F ish).  Still think it's A. butyracea, which is native just ~200 miles south. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

5 hours ago, Xenon said:

Still think it's A. butyracea, which is native just ~200 miles south. 

I agree looks alot like Attalea sp. to me too 

T J 

It is definitely an Attalea. Funny that I've never noticed it before, but its on a street with heavy truck traffic and there's not much time to take in the scenery when driving that piece of road. When I took the pictures, the owner was out mowing the lawn. I asked him what it was, and he told me it was a "palm tree" Was there when he bought the house 10 years ago.

20191213_150617.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

oliver, Thanks for checking this out for us!

• Upvote 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

On 12/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, oliver said:

It is definitely an Attalea. Funny that I've never noticed it before, but its on a street with heavy truck traffic and there's not much time to take in the scenery when driving that piece of road. When I took the pictures, the owner was out mowing the lawn. I asked him what it was, and he told me it was a "palm tree" Was there when he bought the house 10 years ago.

20191213_150617.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. The mystery is solved. 

• Like 1

Wow, nice size trunk and everything. Yeah the owner has no idea. That’s happened to me more than once. You see a great specimen and or uncommon species, so you knock on the door and the owner has no idea what they have. That’s how spectacular palms get cut down. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

8 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Wow, nice size trunk and everything. Yeah the owner has no idea. That’s happened to me more than once. You see a great specimen and or uncommon species, so you knock on the door and the owner has no idea what they have. That’s how spectacular palms get cut down. 

Unfortunately your so right =/

• Like 1

T J 

• 2 years later...